• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine Failure on EcoDiesel

Sadecodiesel

Jan 12, 2016
Truck Year
New to the forum. Found it by researching a problem that in time makes me a 5%er. Dealer has had the truck for over 60 days, waiting on parts, but now in the installation stage of repair. Complete engine, radiator, heater core, 3 way water valve, oil cooler, hoses and injector tubes. Bought this as my second dodge truck because of the diesel in a light duty truck. Hope going forward will have only good things to say like many of your members. Really enjoy Shawn's videos about the truck. Also spent many an hour traveling I80 in the snow

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
New to the forum. Found it by researching a problem that in time makes me a 5%er. Dealer has had the truck for over 60 days, waiting on parts, but now in the installation stage of repair. Complete engine, radiator, heater core, 3 way water valve, oil cooler, hoses and injector tubes. Bought this as my second dodge truck because of the diesel in a light duty truck. Hope going forward will have only good things to say like many of your members. Really enjoy Shawn's videos about the truck. Also spent many an hour traveling I80 in the snow

Did they tell you what actually failed @Sadecodiesel ?

Sadecodiesel

Jan 12, 2016
Truck Year
At the time the engine starting to shut down I was close to dealership and was able to leave the truck after hours. Speaking with the Service writer the next day I was only informed they were requesting an engine change from Mopar drivetrain.
I will have a detailed conversation once the repairs are completed and provide more information. Thanks for the inquiry

renewal101

Jan 3, 2016
Truck Year
Hello Sadecodiesel......could you give us the mileage and build date of your ecodiesel.....thanks

Sadecodiesel

Jan 12, 2016
Truck Year
Build date was March 6 2015. First sign of trouble was 7500 miles. Diagnosed as 3 way water valve stuck in open position. Instructed to drive vehicle until part arrives. 3weeks and 3500 miles later complete shutdown. Picked up truck after 70 days 1/20/16. Explanation of cause was vague but I suspect the culprit to be the oil cooler as most have stated. Tech did say the oil was in the coolant but no coolant in the oil
After driving the truck for 100 miles I see trace oil/coolant in reservoir. Not surprised with this. Can not absorb with pad due to baffles. I am thinking of removing reservoir and cleaning periodically to be able to monitor amount of oil residual then have dealer flush system at oil change if there is no indication of excessive oil.
I am closely monitoring coolant, oil temperatures and initially see improved performance there I think.
Crossing my fingers as I like most want this engine to perform
Hello Sadecodiesel......could you give us the mileage and build date of your ecodiesel.....thanks
ildi

Robert

Jan 23, 2016
Truck Year
New to group. Trying to figure out if I need to be worried about these trucks. We have 2 in our family. One has 48k and no issues. Other blew at 8500.

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
From what i gather and watch, being victim of my own problems, i think it is impossible to discern from one truck to another what if any problems will arise. Sometimes i lose sleep reading all the horror stories, but i take one day at a time. But im in it for the long haul so i have to make mine work

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
New to group. Trying to figure out if I need to be worried about these trucks. We have 2 in our family. One has 48k and no issues. Other blew at 8500.

I wouldn't really be worried. Your going to have some bad apples in the tree. Most are here to report problems and not say how much they love their EcoDiesel..

That's how Web forums work. :D

Sadecodiesel

Jan 12, 2016
Truck Year
For me it was a learning experience to be more attentive to the truck and watch for issues and address them before they become major problems. The truck as a whole is hands down the nicest I have owned or driven as a daily vehicle. I follow this forum now to see how others experience is going. Good information.

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
We al learn from experiences, i dont know al i know about my ecodiesel because i just know it and im the smartest guy on earth, i learn from my success and failures with this thing. If i succede i post it on youtube, hopefully people will learn from them, if i fail, i post it on youtube so others will not have to suffer the same fate as me.

renewal101

Jan 3, 2016
Truck Year
I can't recall anyone and including the most frustrated that didn't love this truck. The concept, design, comfort (ride and quiet), mileage and appearance just beats anything I would have expected out of a truck.....we love it! With that said, after our major oil cooler failure that required a $20,000 plus warranty repair including new engine, and after only 13,000 miles.......our confidence is somewhat shaken and we are "walking on eggshells" as we drive it. We are extremely vigilant. It would help so much if Chrysler would be more transparent with the correction to this oil cooler issue. At this time, I'm convinced there is a fatal flaw with the oil cooler design and it's hard to stick it out with this truck unless Chrysler gives us some hope for a cure.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
When I first got my truck, I took pictures of engine, coolants, even under the truck, so if I see something that seems different, I can compare to the pictures. Especially if the coolant changes colour or oil in it. So far, at 18000 KM, the colour and purity is the same.

I try to take whatever steps that may increased reliability and longevity of the truck. One reason, why I'm testing the Shell V-power diesel, it claims to keep the engine clean and protected from build up, and rust. I posted the video claims on another thread here.

Another protection is using the Edge CS2 monitor, watching the temperatures/alarms set, etc. It quickly told me, I needed winter covers when temperatures drop to 7C and colder. It also stop me from pushing the engine (turn off Cruise control) when EGT1 and EGT2 temperatures hit 1500 degrees F., which happens when towing the trailer summertime. (6000 LBS)

Sadecodiesel

Jan 12, 2016
Truck Year
After 3 weeks driving the truck since engine change out I have removed the coolant reservoir once and cleared as much of the oil line I can. Increased the coolant level which created a new oil line but has no oil floating on top of coolant. Oil level the same after 1200 miles. Do not understand where the residual oil is coming from. Just. Know it is there. Everything seems fine. Will continue to clean and monitor until doing a flush. Definitely enjoying the ride as opposed to the rental (Tacoma) I used during repair.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
If it under warranty, why not get the dealers to flush it every week if needed, at FCA expenses. Doing so, will log your issue with FCA. Doing it on your own, it becomes deniable.

I'm assuming you are in the states and the dealer had the truck for 60 days, wouldn't that qualify you under the lemon law, to get a exchange for a new one or they take back the old one.

I'm over 19,000 KM, and so far, running great, no issues at all. I am finishing up my second tank of Shell V-Power Diesel (cost 8 cent a litre more) and just notice, it seems to be peppier and smoother acceleration then initially.

Going to fill up a third time. I suspect it takes several tankful to clean out the engine (after using cheap diesel for 17,000 KM or so) and see the benefits of the fuel. Too soon to tell but good indications so far.

I'm also doing, just in case, (worse scenario) shopping for a replacement truck. So far, looking at 6.7L Ram 2500 Diesel or F-150 EcoBoost. Two extremes, eh?

Not sure about the F-250 Diesel or Duramax yet. Yes, they all have horror stories, but some more than others.

Sadecodiesel

Jan 12, 2016
Truck Year
Finally got a day off on a weekday with no previous commitments so I notified dealership I was coming in for a coolant flush. By this time the discoloration in the reservoir was a concern. After the flush it looks good but not completely clear on the walls. Dealership did not have a replacement but will pursue that on the next flush, which there will be. Speaking with the Service Manager he talked about a recent training he attended where he talked with others about my situation and there was not a lot of similar issues in the group. Did not ask where he was away from south Louisiana. So far with the new engine runs good temps are coolant 204 to 206, oil temp 210 to 214 trans temp 188. 2500 miles since change. More monitoring to do, my advise if you have an eco diesel check coolant reservoir often and if you see oil don't trust the dealership has seen this and fully understands what to do. Good luck to all of us and enjoy the ride while it is good.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I strongly recommend you test your oil, if you have glycol, coolant, your engine is already experiencing engine wear. I posted more details on another thread. I had my oil test and will post it on another thread. For me, great news, all is good, no fuel dilution, no Glycol, etc. I will be doing the test every time, just before oil change at 20.00 a pop.

Expect to have a new engine and all the coolant system replaced. Flushing and flushing is only a stop gap, I would expect your engine is wearing.

• Anti-Freeze: A chemical test is done to determine percentage of glycol in the system. Any amount of glycol is abnormal. Glycol contamination may result in filter plugging, overheating and overall internal engine wear.

• Water: Presence of water may be from condensation or may be indicative of a coolant leak. Water is reported as a percentage. Too much water will make the oil cloudy and/or milky and will need to be changed.
  • Fuel Dilution: Measurement of fuel in the oil. Reported in 2%, 4% or >6%. Small percentages of fuel may be from excessive idling. Excessive fuel may be from a mechanical problem that needs to be corrected. Excessive fuel will reduce the lubrication properties of the oil.

• OIL CONDITION
    • Fuel Soot: Reported as % of weight. Soot is what makes diesel engine oil black. Soot needs to be controlled. Excessive soot can shorten engine life and will be very abrasive.
    • Oxidation: Occurs when oxygen molecules join with oil molecules. Oxidation will make the oil thicker than normal and lose lubrication. It will be accelerated by high oil temperatures and glycol contamination.
    • Nitration: Occurs in all engines, but is generally a problem in Natural Gas Engines. Nitrogen compounds from combustion thicken the oil and reduce lubrication.
    • Sulfation: Sulfur is present in fuels and affects engines. Fuel sulfur oxidizes and combines with water to form acid during combustion. Acids corrode all engine parts.

Teri906

Oct 12, 2015
Truck Year
I can't recall anyone and including the most frustrated that didn't love this truck. The concept, design, comfort (ride and quiet), mileage and appearance just beats anything I would have expected out of a truck.....we love it! With that said, after our major oil cooler failure that required a $20,000 plus warranty repair including new engine, and after only 13,000 miles.......our confidence is somewhat shaken and we are "walking on eggshells" as we drive it. We are extremely vigilant. It would help so much if Chrysler would be more transparent with the correction to this oil cooler issue. At this time, I'm convinced there is a fatal flaw with the oil cooler design and it's hard to stick it out with this truck unless Chrysler gives us some hope for a cure.
I am one who doesn't love my truck... I regret it every day, especially since it's in a shop in Ohio (week 3) and I live in NJ

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
If I was in your shoes, I would feel the same way. I did one oil test (RAMATEK) and seems excellent, however, I found another tester (AGAT Labs). Thinking of doing another test and see if any difference in the report between the two. I expect minors differences at most, hopefully.

FCA people I talk to, seem useless and read a script. They keep saying talk to dealer, talk dealer, but dealers don't want to waste their time answering your question or calling FCA for you.

They admit some of them are reading the forums, but not permitted to reply, as they aren't in the right department or something silly like that..

We don't have a lemon law, actually no protection in Canada, so they do walk all over us. This forum is the only way we can talk back to them. You should check into the lemon law and see if you qualify and/or lawyer would take your case. Collect all the info and cost.

So far, I am enjoying the truck. All is well at 21,000 KM (metric)

Teri906

Oct 12, 2015
Truck Year
If I was in your shoes, I would feel the same way. I did one oil test (RAMATEK) and seems excellent, however, I found another tester (AGAT Labs). Thinking of doing another test and see if any difference in the report between the two. I expect minors differences at most, hopefully.

FCA people I talk to, seem useless and read a script. They keep saying talk to dealer, talk dealer, but dealers don't want to waste their time answering your question or calling FCA for you.

They admit some of them are reading the forums, but not permitted to reply, as they aren't in the right department or something silly like that..

We don't have a lemon law, actually no protection in Canada, so they do walk all over us. This forum is the only way we can talk back to them. You should check into the lemon law and see if you qualify and/or lawyer would take your case. Collect all the info and cost.

So far, I am enjoying the truck. All is well at 21,000 KM (metric)

After many attempts to have Chrysler do the right thing and not following through, I filed lemon law a few months ago. It's not the road I wanted to take but at this point I'm paying a truck payment on a vehicle that spends more time in shop then with me.
All the dealerships do is play the blame game. However none of them have figured out the problem. I love that in order to get a loaner I have to pay out of pocket or use my extended warranty which really is no help because that only covers for 5 days. Currently I'm my 3rd full week of truck being in the shop out of state no less!
I'll never understand how companies get away with this. When you have to go on a "national waiting list" for parts, and there isn't a recall, I'm saying obviously the issue is deeper than then want to admit. Things happen and it's a machine it will never be perfect I get that, however at some point they have to admit that bad apples do appear in the bunch. I was a diehard Ram person, after all this I have no love what so ever for Ram, Chrysler, any of them!

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I am reading that many dealers have been using wrong oil, deliberate or ignorance, hard to say, at this time (oil that they use for Cummins Diesel, 15w40 or others) in that they may meet the engine specs, but not the ACEA C3 specs, ( MS-11106) which can negatively effect the SCR Cat. Long term use of a non ACEA C3 rated oil could cause premature degradation of catalyst efficiency. FCA would need to replace that system.

Question, it could increase temperature with the back pressure, etc. Not my area of expertise, perhaps someone on the forum can add to this.

Another concern, I'm checking out, Pennzoil Ultra Euro part# 68001334PB, I think at this time, only comes in 5w40 SAE. I recently had my oil tested and it was reported as 15w40, which would be wrong, as my invoice show the mopar part, Pennzoil Ultra Euro part# 68001334PB. Hopefully it is not scam to increase their profits, charging for the right oil, but putting in lower cost oil.

Even though, the oil meet the engine specs, the viscosity 15w40 may not be good during winter for the EcoDiesel, as it can cause oil starvation when starting up cold, or low oil pressure, resulting in premature wear.

I be doing another test with another lab to confirm the accuracy of the first lab. I also reported my concern to FCA. Haven't heard back yet.