• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine Fire

GAPO11

Nov 18, 2019
Truck Year
I got the fix for the situation. Currently stocking s’mores ingredients in the center console! 😂 jkjk I’m just hoping they come up wirh a legit fix not just watching them burn to the ground and leaving insurance companies to pay out for their negligence.
EXACTLY!

PatP

Nov 30, 2019
Truck Year
I just filed mine also. Guess you have leaky injectors like Ram groups everyone as. They need to be careful, Next they will have to investigate their scape goat excuse

DieselJ

Dec 2, 2019
Truck Year
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that Bullet Proof Diesel has an EGR cooler with a lifetime warranty up on its site:

Melted Eco

Dec 1, 2019
Truck Year
Minor update, FCA has a Bosch 3rd Party engineer going out to see the truck and insurance (USAA) sent one out a few days ago. Hopefully they are all finally at the point of taking this seriously.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
GearHead, Enjoying the conversation, I never thought about the exhaust event (Fuel) . Now the 3.0 has the EGR Valve and Bypass actuator, the Actuator even when closed has a circuit bypass, now that would require the EGR valve to be 100% shut, if it gets sooted up fuel may find its way in the intake. Who knows what the reaction is going to happen after the soot laden with fuel will do to the plastic plenum if corrodes a hole the soot laden with fuel only needs a source to ignite?
Exactly, we have an intake manifold loaded with byproducts of incomplete combustion and raw fuel from the late injection for the Regen Cycle and now all we need is an ignition source, or do we? Based on the USCG Chemical database, the Auto Ignition Temperature of Diesel Fuel ranges from 350 to 625 degrees F, depending on the blend and additives, (normally 550 to 685 F per NIOSH Pocket Guide) so we may only need a high Temp event in the intake, EGR leak, to provide sufficient temperature to allow spontaneous combustion. Now due to continued heating and cooling cycles the Auto Ignition Temperature of the combustible mixture is lowered. Just a ticking time bomb without maintenance of the intake and replacement of the EGR cooler with a more robust design.

I was going to mention maybe FCA could hire an outside, non aligned, engineering firm to build a more robust EGR cooler, but I see later in this line that Bullit Proof has already done the work. Maybe FCA could just issue a Purchase Order?

GAPO11

Nov 18, 2019
Truck Year
Wanted to update on my 2015 ED fire on November 17, 2019, and complete insurance loss. Just called the NHTSA with my case number from them to see if there is anything happening at that level. LSS, no investigation yet at the federal level. However, they did ask if FCA has contacted me. I said the only thing was a Recall Notice I received on November 29, 2019, (see previous post in this thread) but have phoned weekly about my FCA case number and all inquiries have ended with the little 13 year-old girl that answers the phone on the other end. The person with NHTSA said they should have contacted me and that I need to communicate with the my state Attorney Generals office.

AndyIRV

Nov 19, 2019
Truck Year
So, I just purchased a 2015 eco around 1 month ago from a dealer. Truck has 37,000 miles on it. I obviously have not received any recall letter for this large issue. What I've been reading on this thread, is the engine starts to loses power first? I have a 5 y/o who is still in a car seat, so I want to know the first sign. I contacted the dealer and they said they would contact me when parts are available for the recall. Does anyone know when parts are available?

Also how can a Ram dealership sell a vehicle with this type of recall pending?

GAPO11

Nov 18, 2019
Truck Year
So, I just purchased a 2015 eco around 1 month ago from a dealer. Truck has 37,000 miles on it. I obviously have not received any recall letter for this large issue. What I've been reading on this thread, is the engine starts to loses power first? I have a 5 y/o who is still in a car seat, so I want to know the first sign. I contacted the dealer and they said they would contact me when parts are available for the recall. Does anyone know when parts are available?

Also how can a Ram dealership sell a vehicle with this type of recall pending?
Yes! How can they? Make sure you have good insurance because this is FCA’s philosophy. Sell ‘em. Let ‘em burn. Insurance will cover it. My latest communication from FCA, “Sorry there was a fire...it was not a manufacturing problem.”

Ronald Doupe

Mar 18, 2018
Truck Year
I have to say from what I see on the Ram forums FCA has been top notch with warranty work. For example they have replaced literally thousands of engines with barely any questions being asked.
How many thousands have they replaced?, just curious

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
My Guess 6000+ under warranty another 2000+ Non-warranty.

John

Nov 13, 2015
TC's guess is probably good on the warranty replacements. I don't think there's been many replaced without warranty.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
John its darn close , I already posted the Info. I know of many out of warranty Just setting, Out of warranty, owners are fighting FCA, Theirs's a group up in CA that has ask the Canadian Authorities to step in.

Bobcope399

Nov 6, 2019
Truck Year
more people need to report the fires when they happen to either transport canada or NHTSA in the USA for them to investigate and put some pressure on FCA to get off their ass and find out why their trucks are catching fire... That's the only way we can be heard from the big FCA giant, is to get national transportation on their case.

In USA, you can file a complaint at:

In Canada, you can file a complaint at:
I filed a complaint to NHTSA and got a claim # and I also contacted FCA regarding a rental car until the fix and their response was "we can't authorize a rental car" and I said I would be furious if my 2016 Ecodiesel burns to the ground when it could have been avoided. I recently added approved coolant and have driven less than 50 miles and the coolant level is already low, this is bullshit that I have to monitor coolant level on a daily basis. All the dealerships that I've contacted said EGR cooler is on backorder. I almost wish I would have bought a gas motor, this is bullshit!!!!

GAPO11

Nov 18, 2019
Truck Year
Hang in there. Last week I received some encouraging news from a call a lawyer who will be testifying about these engine fires. He called me, asked questions about if I had modified the vehicle, NO, had I had any problems prior to the fire, NO, and others. He was not impressed with the firm hired by FCA to inspect my burnt, totaled RAM ED. I’m not getting my hopes up, but it was the most positive conversation since my incident. I sent him a copy of the recall notice I received from FCA two weeks after the fire and the letter from FCA that said sorry about the fire we, but it was not a manufacturing issue.