• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine Fire

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Its very clear were GAPO11 fire started,its not the ERG in this case. I see you removed the Sound foam on the riders but NOT the drivers.

Unless you pratice good Engine hygiene , as the engine compartment becomes older it will collect debris increasing the risk of fire's...this engine in this configuration (Turbo location) is a fire hazard, and will only increase with age.

The Dsl is not the problem, its the engine VM3.0 fitted to the Ram 1500.

GAPO11

Nov 18, 2019
Truck Year
Its very clear were GAPO11 fire started,its not the ERG in this case. I see you removed the Sound foam on the riders but NOT the drivers.

Unless you pratice good Engine hygiene , as the engine compartment becomes older it will collect debris increasing the risk of fire's...this engine in this configuration (Turbo location) is a fire hazard, and will only increase with age.

The Dsl is not the problem, its the engine VM3.0 fitted to the Ram 1500.
“Good engine hygiene,” now that’s something I never heard before. Interesting.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
In America Most owners have never even wash the engine compartment, or ever even check the oil now days.

Ram19

Nov 2, 2019
Truck Year
View attachment 2453View attachment 2454Here are a couple of pictures from my situation. Dodge Dealership estimated $20k to “fix” it and insurance co said, “Then would it even run?” So it was a total loss.
To add insult to injury, I called dealership to see if I could get a refund on oil changes prepaid. If you pay for three in advance, you get a discount. I had only used one. Dealership just cold heartedly said, “No.” No discussion. Still waiting to hear from FCA and report from EAA an engineering firm that specializes in fire damage. Also, insurance co has hired an expert.
The one consideration that seems to have been set aside by FCA, is there is a reason in buying a diesel. Sure it costs more up front, but statistically it is going to last longer. But that logic seems now a yesterday thing.

Looking at the bottom picture.

It sure looks like a big hole is burnt in the intake manifold above where the ERG diffuser tube enters the manifold. Could be a classic case of what the EGR cooler recall is all about.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Ram19, the fire requires a heat source the plenum is 100s* short of this. Mostly likely turbo related IMO.

The incoming air from the CAC is 10x more then the exhaust gases from the EGR cooler.

I have recorded 1500+F temps (Often) at turbo, the 3.0VM Flame Temps are remarkably high.

Melted Eco

Dec 1, 2019
Truck Year
Just had emissions recall on 2016 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel completed, went on first long distance drive, 250-300miles and engine lost power, then caught on fire. Has this happened to any other owners?

Yes! 11/27- on the first long drive (>50 miles) since my AEM recall complete earlier this month and my RAM lost power and then went up in smoke and flames about 2.5 hours into our Thanksgiving trip. All four of us got out in time but this is obviously a total loss. Filed a claim with my insurance and have notified FCA. Was not familiar with this forum until I started researching my situation. Any information for working through FCA and insurance would be helpful.

Attachments

• RAM FIRE 1.jpg
    RAM FIRE 1.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 29
  • RAM FIRE.jpg
    RAM FIRE.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 29

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Melted Eco, Please reach out to https://www.nhtsa.gov

It now seems that every 3.0VM is potentially a fire hazard. 2014-19 are all the same except for some piping and external sensors/cooling valve changes.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
damn man sorry to see the damage done. It’s a shame you spend money on a nice vehicle expecting it to last years to come. I love mine but I can’t see it being as loyal as my 01 1500 with 202k

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I received my recall notice for the EGR cooler and the FCA statement was "no known repair" and the one I like the best "monitor your coolant level". My dealer Service Rep stated recall is a EGR cooler replacement and that all parts are on back order. Well after 32 years in the Fire Service I carry an extinguisher.

Last edited:

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Gear head You had better carry at least 2 More, One owner had two, and He and another person could not put out the flames. Another had a garden hose and Fire extinguisher and it still burned down to the ground.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Gear head You had better carry at least 2 More, One owner had two, and He and another person could not put out the flames. Another had a garden hose and Fire extinguisher and it still burned down to the ground.
Thanks for the concern. But after 32 years technique is as effective as tool. Never use water to fight a hydrocarbon fire, just puts wheels on the flames. I liked your analysis of ignition source heat but is lacking the heat of the internal EGR failure allowing direct exhaust impingement onto carbon soot in intake, especially a plastic, hydrocarbon polymer, intake. I nearly feel out of my chair laughing at the engine hygiene statement, I swear some people think it is a Federal Law that you cannot clean your engine or engine compartment. Most organic matter, leaves, grass, stray rodent, only require 300 to 500 degree F to achieve ignition temperature.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Last night while drinking and trying to burn up a stump I took an old oil burner and set it beside the stump to speed the process up and I got to thinking... it’s an EGR!!! B63D9F57-B786-415D-8E3B-FF6A7128705B.jpeg

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
GearHead ,In your Professional View are these Number of fire extreme, or Normal #s

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
GearHead ,In your Professional View are these Number of fire extreme, or Normal #s
Haven't seen these high of number of vehicle fires since the Pinto.

Engine compartment fires normally follow several factors, engine hygiene, fuel system design, ignition/electrical systems, dirty engines, oil leaks/combustible material/presence of organic matter, which follows hygiene closely.

Engine and engine compartment hygiene can be parts of the same issue. Oil leaks left untended and un-repaired, as the oil collects gathers dirt or cakes on from heat, creates a source of fuel as it cokes and lowers it ignition temp until combustion.

Fuel system design. The old carburetor days, we were only one backfire away from a car or car in structure fire. Leaking fuel injector to outside atmosphere rather than down intake manifold. Of course the ignition source is usually the catalytic converter. There is a great video of a liquid fuel fire ignited by an exhaust system from Argentina tanker leak on u-tube.

Ignition system. The old distributor and plug wire days. The arching that accompanied a poorly maintained ignition system would spark fires in convenient poor hygiene conditions. Leaves, grass or collected mouse nests on engine. This organic matter by constant heating and reheating cycle would lower ignition temp due to pyrolysis only needing a sufficient ignition source, jumped spark. My personal favorite a red rag and part full bottle of motor oil wedged by the battery or any convenient space.

In this engine, as you have pointed out, we have a multiple of conditions combining to create an unacceptable situation. A plastic intake manifold, polycarbonate, an EGR system that dumps a combination of exhaust soot, carbon, and raw fuel rich carbon into the intake, failure of the EGR which depending on the failure may allow raw exhaust, un-cooled, into the intake. A turbo location directly adjacent to the intake manifold to provide excess heat. Any of which if left unattended can lead to a fire situation. As you have pointed out and I firmly agree there are a couple of engine design issues present.

Some are addressed with the new engine and some are not. The DPF regeneration would be more effective and internally cleaner if FCA utilized a 7th injector vs. the late injection of fuel into the cylinder. Not addressed. The EGR change to high/low pressure system post SCR/DPF will address part of the soot equation. PCV introducing excess oil vapor into intake manifold. Not addressed. To name just a few.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
GearHead, Enjoying the conversation, I never thought about the exhaust event (Fuel) . Now the 3.0 has the EGR Valve and Bypass actuator, the Actuator even when closed has a circuit bypass, now that would require the EGR valve to be 100% shut, if it gets sooted up fuel may find its way in the intake. Who knows what the reaction is going to happen after the soot laden with fuel will do to the plastic plenum if corrodes a hole the soot laden with fuel only needs a source to ignite?

GAPO11

Nov 18, 2019
Truck Year
Yes! 11/27- on the first long drive (>50 miles) since my AEM recall complete earlier this month and my RAM lost power and then went up in smoke and flames about 2.5 hours into our Thanksgiving trip. All four of us got out in time but this is obviously a total loss. Filed a claim with my insurance and have notified FCA. Was not familiar with this forum until I started researching my situation. Any information for working through FCA and insurance would be helpful.
Well, look what I got in the mail just now:

50D35071-540F-45BA-9B5A-761652879D6C.jpeg

Let’s open ‘er up and take a peek!

B79A9691-5E44-4DC8-852F-03B377654625.jpeg

Notice the line: “The remedy for this condition is not currently available.”

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I got the fix for the situation. Currently stocking s’mores ingredients in the center console! 😂 jkjk I’m just hoping they come up wirh a legit fix not just watching them burn to the ground and leaving insurance companies to pay out for their negligence.