• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine Fire

ExRamOwner

Aug 27, 2019
Truck Year
Just had emissions recall on 2016 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel completed, went on first long distance drive, 250-300miles and engine lost power, then caught on fire. Has this happened to any other owners?

3js

May 13, 2019
Truck Year
OMG!!!! I am leaving this weekend on a 400 mile trip. Just had recall completed yesterday. Do you know what caused the fire?

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome to the group. Probably the foam pads on the top of the motor

ExRamOwner

Aug 27, 2019
Truck Year
Although pads were affected, as we lifted the hood we could see flames 18” high originating from the rear of engine compartment. The foam pads were not the source of the fire.

ExRamOwner

Aug 27, 2019
Truck Year
Took it to dealership (Hendrick Ram in Charleston SC) where we bought it, they refused to look at it.
Told us to contact insurance company.
Called Fiat Chrysler on 3 separate occasions where 3 incompetent customer service employees, created 3 different case #’s of incident. No response from Chrysler in last 3 weeks.
Seems like everyone is working hard to avoid us!

John

Nov 13, 2015
Took it to dealership (Hendrick Ram in Charleston SC) where we bought it, they refused to look at it.
Told us to contact insurance company.
Called Fiat Chrysler on 3 separate occasions where 3 incompetent customer service employees, created 3 different case #’s of incident. No response from Chrysler in last 3 weeks.
Seems like everyone is working hard to avoid us!
Contact your insurance company is the best advice you can get. If your house burns you don't call your realtor.

ExRamOwner

Aug 27, 2019
Truck Year
Contact your insurance company is the best advice you can get. If your house burns you don't call your realtor.
Yep! A complete write off, no repairing an engine fire. We’ll see if emissions recall causes any more fires.....fair warning!

John

Nov 13, 2015
I think it's unlikely the fire was related to the AEM unless the dealer did something stupid besides updating the software

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
how many miles? Were you tuned prior? I wonder if it's an egr valve stuck open, soot / intake fire? If you weren't tuned prior, I'd expect a lot of soot accumulation which could result in a fire... AEM or not, it was probably bound to happen. If you were tuned, I'd really like to know more if you get some answers... I should have started with this, but I'm glad you made it out safely, first and foremost and that no one got hurt.

Last edited:

3js

May 13, 2019
Truck Year
Ex Ram how many miles were on you 2016 when the fire took place? If you owned the truck from new like most of us and three years old why did you not have any fire or anyone else prior to update? So what caused the fire to start now. Could it be an issue with changes made to the AEM that caused the motor to run hotter than normal and or overheat? Did you notice your water temperature higher than normal prior to the fire? This software update is so new and with the issues many of us are having I hope yours is not a direct result of the update. On my upcoming trip this weekend I surely will keep a close eye on my engines vitals. I can somewhat deal with the lag issues but fire is a whole different issue.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year

When your house Burns down or catches fire the FD launches investigation WHY...FCA has had two + years of fires on the ED 3.0 and to my knowledge turns its nose up in the air, NO different than the EPA lies of NO wrong doing. Fires are increasing weekly.... beside the two report in the last 7 days on this site I have one confirmed VIA Phone call..

And in addition " A typical car insurance policy only covers repairs to your vehicle if they're related to some kind of accident. As a result, you likely won't be covered if your engine simply has a mechanical failure or other malfunction"

Find me a fire from a crash reported, or Rodent.

Most of the fires are related to defect or mechanical failure.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Eco's were catching on fire 1-2 years before AEM....IMO the American Side of Fiat is not the problem, its Fiat's relationship to VM at Cento Italy.....Fiat beloved VM 3.0....LMBO.

John

Nov 13, 2015
I wouldn't call a fire a mechanical failure. Lol. A fire can certainly be caused by a mechanical failure though. If you have comprehensive insurance coverage it will certainly pay. I have never heard of a dealer paying for a fire damage claim. Maybe things are different in your state.

Click here

John

Nov 13, 2015
Eco's were catching on fire 1-2 years before AEM....IMO the American Side of Fiat is not the problem, its Fiat's relationship to VM at Cento Italy.....Fiat beloved VM 3.0....LMBO.
All manufactured vehicles are subject to fires. I see them on the side of the road burning quite often.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I had My Ford F-250 Caught on Fire Back in 1996 Ford replace it New... No questions asked. it was 14 months old...later it was determined that Mods for the additional electronic lift for trailers system cause the failure, I contacted Ford with the Info and they thank Me and said They stand behind replacement under warranty that the ground cables should have never been under the dash. later Ford place them outside from frame to cab.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
I had My Ford F-250 Caught on Fire Back in 1996 Ford replace it New... No questions asked. it was 14 months old...later it was determined that Mods for the additional electronic lift for trailers system cause the failure, I contacted Ford with the Info and they thank Me and said They stand behind replacement under warranty that the ground cables should have never been under the dash. later Ford place them outside from frame to cab.
I would love to see the day that FCA stood behind their product rather than just wiping their hands clean and saying, not our problem, you got insurance...