• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine Oil temperatures when towing or hauling large loads

Teri906

Oct 12, 2015
Truck Year
Replace maybe; but is it working? Is it actually engaging after replacement or just a new one thrown in and assumed it's ok?

What pieces of that puzzle were the ones replaced?
I've had the fan replaced, the radiator replaced, water pump and endless sensors! After the replaced the fan, the said the shutters were the cause of it overheating that time! All I can say is thank god for extended warranty and the fact that every two weeks or so, the truck is driven 800miles. I would not have discovered half these issues if this thing was just driven locally!
ok, theres zero way this engine has heating problems on its own without something hardware failing. Im suspecting your thermostat has seized. Im positive now, if for sure the fan is kicking on at 220f, because i have my oil cooler deleted, so my oil no longer touches any part of the antifreeze/ coolant system and even under full load, pulling a trailer, idling, driving with 1400lbs in the bed, driving around town, idling for 4 hours, the coolant never goes above 206f. i could literally throw the fan on the side of the road and drive all night long without it, This is a super well designed engine, Im seeing this first hand what shes capable of. Im really sure you have an outside force overheating the oil, because the coolant itself never needs a fan. So your oil system or thermostat is overheating your engine. This is bs you have to deal with this on your own.
ok, theres zero way this engine has heating problems on its own without something hardware failing. Im suspecting your thermostat has seized. Im positive now, if for sure the fan is kicking on at 220f, because i have my oil cooler deleted, so my oil no longer touches any part of the antifreeze/ coolant system and even under full load, pulling a trailer, idling, driving with 1400lbs in the bed, driving around town, idling for 4 hours, the coolant never goes above 206f. i could literally throw the fan on the side of the road and drive all night long without it, This is a super well designed engine, Im seeing this first hand what shes capable of. Im really sure you have an outside force overheating the oil, because the coolant itself never needs a fan. So your oil system or thermostat is overheating your engine. This is bs you have to deal with this on your own.
Oh thermostat has been replaced twice! Since this thing started overheating I refuse to even pull my camper, which is weight compatible to the Hemi I had. It's never overheated towing. The heaviest load we had with it overheating was 1 cycle in the bed and gear! I just got a call today and I'm being told that they can't get the truck to reprogram, so it won't restart after message appears on dash! This particular truck, is junk! I'm not saying all of them, but my file speaks for itself! I've maintained/ services only had at certified dealers.

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
I understand Teri. I would think the same if I was in your shoes. Makes me appreciate my old girl more. I still don't think the fan is kicking on. It only activates at 20% at 220f

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Did they check the oil filter, maybe restricted? I believe it can cause over heating. My concern level is rising.

Hope they find a fix, if so let us know the cause. Hoping for the best Teri.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I didn't hit oil temps over 225 when towing a hemi at 60MPH the other day. Near a 10k combo and I still had the lower two panels of my winter front on. 58F ambient temps

Teri906

Oct 12, 2015
Truck Year
Did they check the oil filter, maybe restricted? I believe it can cause over heating. My concern level is rising.

Hope they find a fix, if so let us know the cause. Hoping for the best Teri.
They checked oil filter and replaced it. I had my truck out of shop exactly 1 month, never towed, normal every day back and forth to work driving and I'm back in the shop. 2 gallons low on anti freeze, and a grocery list of things that need to be replaced. So I guess 5 weeks in the shop wasn't long enough to to fix the problem.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 19

Randy Hammond

Nov 3, 2015
Truck Year
2015 Eco. I tow a 23' travel trailer that is 5200lb dry and ~6000lb when we tow. My oil cooler cracked at 7500 miles. 3 weeks in the shop with new oil cooler and thermostat. Now at 12000 miles and just got back from a trip from San Diego to Monterey CA and back. Getting oil temp of 260 degrees and coolant at 233 degrees when pulling over the grapevine (I-5 north and south). Spoke to dealer and was told those temps are normal and not to worry. Seems to be ok for now but worried about long term issues.

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
Teri906 Your coolant is higher then your oil so clearly there is an issue in either the electrical system or your egr. The first thing I would do is get a coolant sample if it is becoming acidic then your egr cooler is leaking.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I'd be worried about trans temps there too. That's hot

Retired Bones

Jun 15, 2016
Truck Year
I have a '15 ED and I have seen engine oil temps as high as 274 degrees. The dealer wants the oil changed if temps get above 240. I live in the NW of Washington state and pull a 6400 lb rv to so.cal. there are seven major climbs each direction of travel. The highest temp was with a tail wind. An engine oil cooler is needed. Anyone out there with a solution? I see there is no "cooler" just a box to make sure the oil is warm.

Retired Bones

Jun 15, 2016
Truck Year
@renewal101 @01TwoForty you are right the "oil cooler" is only a heat sink that is moreso an oil warmer to get oil to efficient operating temps but it does virtually no good to actually cool the engine temp only capable of bringing it to coolant temp.

If you look near the oil filter there is a aluminum heat sink bolted to the block that the coolant lines run through. It's about 4" square. That is the equivalent of our oil cooler. It serves it's purpose for heating the oil but it is flawed in cooling. There needs to be a thermostat controlled bypass to a forward facing air cooled oil cooler. (Radiator style). There's a company working on a block off plate for the factory cooler and to use a forward facing cooler but not one that uses a thermostat controlled auxiliary cooler for only high temps that I feel would actually do the best.

Retired Bones

Jun 15, 2016
Truck Year
You mentioned a "company" addressing a heated oil issue last February. Have they come up with a product now in mid June. I am concerned that "hot" engine oil will harm this tiny motor that is hard to replace.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
You must not understand, the auxiliary cooler unit uses a thermal valve that only opens to 10% to allow circulation UNTIL 180F degrees at which point it fully opens to be a stacked plate air to oil cooler WITH A FAN as opposed to the factory liquid to liquid heat sink. A liquid to liquid heat sink is the most efficient way to cool but when coolant temps are over 200 degrees and grow with engine demands it does not promote sufficient cooling when towing or under significant load. It's only a 30° difference if your oil is running 250 towing and coolant at 220 which is normal summer operating temp.

This opposed to a forced air cooler which exposes the oil to air temps which are anywhere from 150 to 200 degrees cooler. At said point forced air becomes more efficient. Hence the auxiliary air to oil coolers

Last edited:

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
You mentioned a "company" addressing a heated oil issue last February. Have they come up with a product now in mid June. I am concerned that "hot" engine oil will harm this tiny motor that is hard to replace.

The D&J Hd oil cooler setup would work very well for you. Give them a call at 1 (801) 569-4681.

JSchneib

Oct 20, 2015
Truck Year
Follow up:
I posted a while back about coolant temps over 240f when pulling over mountain passes. There was concern about coolant temps higher than oil. After a much smaller uphill pull this weekend I watched closer. Oil ran 5 to 10 over coolant most of the time and 10 to 20 over in the steep parts. This pull was 20 miles with an elevation gain of around 2000 feet, nothing compared to what I had posted about earlier. Coolant ran 217f steady pretty much the whole time, sometimes less. Pulling a 6500# Travel Trailer.

Brian Seymour

Sep 10, 2016
Truck Year
Any updates on the overheating issues? I have a new 2016 ED now with 3000 miles on it. Just towed my boat about 100 miles, some slight grades. My oil temp made it to 244F and coolant to 238F. No real issues yet, but I am concerned. Does anybody know if there is an aftermarket HD radiator available or would the radiator from a 2500 with diesel be able to be adapted?

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
The radiator isnt so much the issue its how high our egts run. If you lower your egts you well lower your engine temps and extend its life expectancy. One thing you can do that helps some is to use a free flowing wire mesh grill.

JSchneib

Oct 20, 2015
Truck Year
Brian, there are oil cooler kits available and I agree that the eco diesel radiator is small. I have towed heavy loads up long, steep grades a few times now and my coolant temp rises to 244 exactly and just stays there as long as I maintain the same engine rpm and don't try to build up extra speed during the climb (do that before the climb if needed). It appears I can run about 2900 rpm, maintain my speed and not get any hotter for as long as I need to. But then I want to go home and change my oil.

I also think more air flow through the radiator would help cool the radiator better the same as a larger radiator would help cool the engine better. I would be interested in upgrading the radiator in mine. If you figure out a good, larger direct replacement please let me know. I have considered a custom made Fluidyne radiator.