• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine Oil temperatures when towing or hauling large loads

Plug

Sep 15, 2016
Truck Year
JSchneib, What gear were you in and how fast were you going? Did you have the Ac running? For long climbs I turn the air off at 228 at 235 I slow down or drop down a gear I never want to go above 240.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
JSchneib, What gear were you in and how fast were you going? Did you have the Ac running? For long climbs I turn the air off at 228 at 235 I slow down or drop down a gear I never want to go above 240.

If you're towing within the range of what the EcoDiesel can handle, we should never have to turn off the air. Just food for though. :)

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
What is everyone getting for an oil temp when not pulling anything. I made a 60 mile interstate trip yesterday; oil & coolant held a steady 208 the whole trip.

HarleyRob

Sep 15, 2016
Truck Year
Mine is a 2016. Has 1800 miles on it and had to take it in because it has been pulling to the left. The dealer did the current flash and put in the new recommended oil, at no charge. I'm in Texas and it was 97 outside yesterday. I was doing 80 and my coolant temp was 210 and oil was 220. Just the truck, no load. Is this normal operating ranges?

Thanks

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Mine is a 2016. Has 1800 miles on it and had to take it in because it has been pulling to the left. The dealer did the current flash and put in the new recommended oil, at no charge. I'm in Texas and it was 97 outside yesterday. I was doing 80 and my coolant temp was 210 and oil was 220. Just the truck, no load. Is this normal operating ranges?

Thanks
Within reason yes, those are normal temps to see in those ambient temperatures and that high of a workload. Empty or not it's a lot of mass to keep moving 80MPH

Plug

Sep 15, 2016
Truck Year
BoostN, please read your owners manual it gives a couple of suggestions of what to do for high temps one is to shut the ac off the second is to turn the heater on full blast. Every driver has to decide for themselves what temperature is max for me it's 240, a lighter foot helps to.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
BoostN, please read your owners manual it gives a couple of suggestions of what to do for high temps one is to shut the ac off the second is to turn the heater on full blast. Every driver has to decide for themselves what temperature is max for me it's 240, a lighter foot helps to.

I have one, again. What I'm saying, if you're towing within the recommended weight of the truck, you should never have to worry about turning the AC off or anything. The truck should be built to handle that.

I'm not saying overload the truck, and expect it to not overheat.

Aug 28, 2016
Truck Year
OK, now I'm worried. I've hit 232 Oil Temp a number of times while running empty at mild interstate speeds with no load. Please advise! I'm running rotella synthetic. I drive slow, usually under 65. When do my shutters open/close - or does this have anything to do with it? By the way, this was in mild temps, about 80 degrees outside and I was not running the AC.

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
The truck well derate around 240 coolant and 270 oil. If your oil is 230 crusing that's fine. Our fans come on at 221 (coolant) or at least they did before the oil fiscao.

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
The only additives I run is Amsoil's injector cleaner in the summer and there cold flow improver/injector cleaner in the winter.

Retired Bones

Jun 15, 2016
Truck Year
I have been towing several times the last three weekends. I regularly see the 250's in engine oil temperatures.. Looking between water and oil, water hovers around 208/225, depending on hills. Here in Washington state when there is a hill I-5 goes up then down. There is some cutting in hill sides to decrease angles but really not much. Is the radiator really small?
I know that Italy is not flat. I know that Italy has summers. What do they think the highways in the U.S. look like.
All flat and always a tail wind? My trailer weighs 6447 lbs. I have the weigh receipts from Pilot Scales.

Michael

Sep 28, 2016
Truck Year
It's my understanding that the synthetic oil starts to degrade, if this the right word, at 350, I haven't pulled my camper which is about 4,000pds, I read a lot of posts on this forum which I think is great lots of knowledge out there about this truck, way more than sales people, I bought my truck for the combo of tow and mileage, I had a 2500hd Chevy duramax, put 120,000 all I did was change the oil! , I like this truck, but it seems like owning a diesel has gotten a lot more complicated

Retired Bones

Jun 15, 2016
Truck Year
I had a '02 Chevy Duramax, sunk a hole in a piston from excess exhaust temp. It had 239,000 miles. It was also on its third Duramax v8 engine. I gave the truck, crew cab, short bed away for $125.00. Exhaust gas temps were crucial to monitor. 1200 degrees egt is high, higher caused failure.
Next I had a '12 Cumins, 3500, manual trans. It didn't know I had a Fifth wheel or travel trailer, or utility trailer behind it. It just went. My wife hated the thing for its school bus like ride, turning behavior, and general height. It was a 4X4.
It handled 40" of snow like a mild rain. It also did not have a locking differential under it. At the time Mercedes felt the brake system, and tuning could handle wheel slip. None of their engineers had put a travel trailer behind a manual transmission diesel in a parking lot then tried to climb a hill on ice to get to a road! I got my knee slammed by the transmission gear shift lever as different wheels had their individual brakes locked to climb the hill.
There was a Durango between the 3500 and the 1500 ED. A less qualified tow vehicle I've never owned. Besides it towed hot, and the multi-displacement V-8 vibrated annoyingly, again for my wife, for normal use.
Now I have an Ecodiesel, I just returned from a 2,700 mile trip to So. Cal. It towed fine if I ignored the engine oil temperatures. Constantly in the 250 degree range on the flat. Give it a hill, it's temperatures go up. Water 230's engine oil to upper 260's, transmission to 220's
The dealer says everything is operating normally. I'm waiting for the 100,000 miles to change to "Evan's Coolant" for the high water temperature then a much larger radiator.
I fear excessively high exhaust temperatures for the tiny pistons if the engine is not allowed to spin to higher revolutions to keep them cooler.
I saw this functional piston/engine temperature control in my Chevy exhaust. Higher rev's kept egt's down below 1150 degrees. My engine failed at 1250 degrees.
I worry that I have no idea where my engine exhaust temperatures are, as they are not monitored in this vehicle.

Last edited:

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I had a '02 Chevy Duramax, sunk a hole in a piston from excess exhaust temp. It had 239,000 miles. It was also on its third Duramax v8 engine. I gave the truck, crew cab, short bed away for $125.00. Exhaust gas temps were crucial to monitor. 1200 degrees egt is high, higher caused failure.
Next I had a '12 Cumins, 3500, manual trans. It didn't know I had a Fifth wheel or travel trailer, or utility trailer behind it. It just went. My wife hated the thing for its school bus like ride, turning behavior, and general height. It was a 4X4.
It handled 40" of snow like a mild rain. It also did not have a locking differential under it. At the time Mercedes felt the brake system, and tuning could handle wheel slip. None of their engineers had put a travel trailer behind a manual transmission diesel in a parking lot then tried to climb a hill on ice to get to a road! I got my knee slammed by the transmission gear shift lever as different wheels had their individual brakes locked to climb the hill.
There was a Durango between the 3500 and the 1500 ED. A less qualified tow vehicle I've never owned. Besides it towed hot, and the multi-displacement V-8 vibrated annoyingly, again for my wife, for normal use.
Now I have an Ecodiesel, I just returned from a 2,700 mile trip to So. Cal. It towed fine if I ignored the engine oil temperatures. Constantly in the 250 degree range on the flat. Give it a hill, it's temperatures go up. Water 230's engine oil to upper 260's, transmission to 220's
The dealer says everything is operating normally. I'm waiting for the 100,000 miles to change to "Evan's Coolant" for the high water temperature then a much larger radiator.
I fear excessively high exhaust temperatures for the tiny pistons if the engine is not allowed to spin to higher revolutions to keep them cooler.
I saw this functional piston/engine temperature control in my Chevy exhaust. Higher rev's kept egt's down below 1150 degrees. My engine failed at 1250 degrees.
I worry that I have no idea where my engine exhaust temperatures are, as they are not monitored in this vehicle.

1250 degrees isn't terrible for a duramax engine. In fact, you'll see that temp while the truck is in regen mode (for 07.5 and newer). It's most likely you had an injector get hung and it burn a hole in the piston.