• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine Oil temperatures when towing or hauling large loads

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
1250 isn't high enough to melt a piston it's more likely you had a bad injector that melted the piston. The radiator on our trucks is plenty big. The best thing you could do is get a remote mount oil cooler setup from D&J diesel. That well greatly lower your temps all around mine rides at 208 coolant and 204 oil on the flats. Another easy mod is a better flowing grill I'm using a wire mesh grill I got off amazon for about $200. It lowered my temps about 10 degrees.

Retired Bones

Jun 15, 2016
Truck Year
I'm a a fixed? income "possibly" getting less if Rep. Ryan gets his way! The D&G cooler at $995.95 is just way out there.
My father started owning Dodge, Chrysler vehicles in the 1920's until he passed in 1999. I have never been around a Chrysler vehicle, I've had ten in my 50+ years, that even remotely heated up.
So Fiat acquires Chrysler and we all have to get a larger Italian tool. I believe they are referred to as "BFH" or at least a bigger one.! ! !

JSchneib

Oct 20, 2015
Truck Year
JSchneib, What gear were you in and how fast were you going? Did you have the Ac running? For long climbs I turn the air off at 228 at 235 I slow down or drop down a gear I never want to go above 240.
Sorry for the late reply, somehow missed the notification .
When I am seeing that 244 it is up long, high altitude climbs. AC on, 45 MPH, 4th gear , 7000lb trailer, 8% grade for 10 miles.

Retired Bones

Jun 15, 2016
Truck Year
Here in the west, I try to stay around 50 in 5th. My truck has 3.92 gears, and 265x70 - 17's for tires. I also go down the hills at this same level. Being a tongue trailer puller, used to pull a 5th wheel, I like to move with the largest vehicles.
Getting pushed by passing traffic, sway control - equalizers in use, is something I'm used to. The mountains add a plus to the experience. I have to keep my wife happy, by smooth progress.
So far the dealers say 260's is not abnormal for this combination? Early on, it was a hot climb, I did see 270's. I slowed down and it got hotter to 274. Interstate - 5 in the, not so high, mountains of northern California and southern Oregon, can be a hot wind driven place. Like I posted, pages back, I had a tail wind on a steep grade. The air temperature dropped 20 degrees when I went over the Ashland summit. All was good.
I have made that trip two more times going both directions. I have traveled the route in the morning hours when air temperatures are in the 40's. The truck still gets into the 250's on engine oil. Everything else seems liveable.
Water gets hot but not too hot. Transmission is warm but cooler than water.
Seems to me "ZF" required a trans cooler, good for them.
If you need a test of your equipment. Interstate 5 north from Redding Ca. to Ashland, Ore. The wind blows, sometimes south to north, sometimes the other way. It is always a test. It is not high altitude, just a bunch of steep 2000 to high 3000 foot bursts. Ashland summit is only 4,400 feet but I say again steep.
Must not be a test path for vehicle analysis. I have seen Chrsler products on Interstate 70 in Colorado, never "I - 5".

Retired Bones

Jun 15, 2016
Truck Year
1250 degrees isn't terrible for a duramax engine. In fact, you'll see that temp while the truck is in regen mode (for 07.5 and newer). It's most likely you had an injector get hung and it burn a hole in the piston.
Totally probable. I still have the Banks exhaust4" for 02 Chevy, Tuner and exhaust brake in boxes in my garage, want them?

Retired Bones

Jun 15, 2016
Truck Year
Actually the piston split above the wrist pin. The two halves rewelded but scarring by the busted rings caused excessive oil consumption. Clouds of blue behind the vehicle. I got pulled over several times.

After replacing the engine I found out the the original long block had been dealer replaced, in '07, which they did not write about in the repair receipts I was given with the return after repair.

I lost that engine in '12, thus the give-away of an engine-less, '02 Chevy, of course $11,000 spent for a blown head gasket in another replacement duramax.

Njensen

Nov 29, 2016
Truck Year
What is everyone getting for an oil temp when not pulling anything. I made a 60 mile interstate trip yesterday; oil & coolant held a steady 208 the whole trip.

This is temperatures observed going uphill towards Eisenhower tunnel in Colorado keeping 70 mph (only truck no trailer).

Attachments

• IMG_1608.JPG
    IMG_1608.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 25

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Yeah that's normal temperatures under load in my observations. Not necessarily towing, but extended grade driving at speed, or general heavy footed driving. While ambient temperatures are 70+, general summer conditions. I don't think I'd be bothered unless I saw the 260 mark. At that point something isn't sufficient.