• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine oil

DeeBee

Dec 24, 2019
Truck Year
Hi All, About to service my 2017 Laramie Ecodiesel at 30000 miles after being quoted $1200 by dealer in Morehead City NC. I'm trying to decide which oil brand. I understand the need to meet API specs and 5w40 viscosity grade. I see mention of several oils e.g. Shell Rotella T6 but never see Pennzoil platinum mentioned. This is the oil the dealer used in previous services in NC and NYS. Anyone have any thoughts ? Thanks

Bookmaker

Nov 23, 2019
Truck Year
I’ve noticed that current T6 no longer specifies FCA spec MS-10902. Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme does, plus it is endorsed by Cummins and has more zinc, higher TBN, and higher HTHS. It meets every spec listed in the FCA Diesel Supplement. I’ll be switching to the Valvoline for my next oil change.

Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Endorsed By Cummins is just marketing Money. Stay with T6 5/40w

Attachments

• 15 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Blackstone.pdf
    24.4 KB · Views: 25

Bookmaker

Nov 23, 2019
Truck Year
For anyone concerned about the bottom end bearings, the Valvoline has more zinc and HTHS of 4.0, which beats beats T6 with its HTHS of 3.8. Valvoline’s TBN of 11 beats T6 TBN of 10.

Both are fine but the Valvoline has better specs and lists MS-10902. T6 no longer lists the Mopar spec referenced in the RAM Diesel Supplement.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Bookmaker, Please provide some OAs on Valvoline, It takes more than whats marketed. What's in the Bottle counts....

I like high levels of Zinc for Dsl, But it needs to be offset by high levels of Mag and Moly, TBN in most cases is for longer term service.

I've seen engine with 500K+ running T6 look new, Not so with Valvoline Blue, That being said Valovline may have changed and is more refined and that additive package changed, Until I see live OAs T6 is my preferred Lube for Dsl.

Bookmaker

Nov 23, 2019
Truck Year
I’ll be glad to share my OAs as I collect them. In the meantime uses whatever pleases you. Cheers.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Awesome, I look forward to the OAs, maybe the results will change My mind on Valvoline.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I too prefer the T6 in 5W-40, however I have used Valvoline products for many years in other vehicles. Still use bulk 5W-30 synthetic in the shop. My OA's have been very satisfactory and yet by comparing OA's for the Valvoline product may change my mind as to my choice of Diesel oil as well. On another comment the Rotella 15W-40 is notated T5 if I am not mistaken.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
I maintained an Ambulance fleet for nearly 14 years, I used Delo 400 15w-40 exclusively, one of those units had over 600k on it when I retired, I think it finally got retired too, I would bet that it had around a million miles on it, Ford E350 with 7.3 Powerstroke, 1 set of injectors, IPR, FPR, GLOW PLUGS, HPOP, and under valve cover harnesses. Pollution laws killed that motor and the best international could come up with was the 6.0 liter, what a joke that motor was, I was glad to hear that Ford was finally gonna design their own diesel when they came up with the 6.7.

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
I too prefer the T6 in 5W-40, however I have used Valvoline products for many years in other vehicles. Still use bulk 5W-30 synthetic in the shop. My OA's have been very satisfactory and yet by comparing OA's for the Valvoline product may change my mind as to my choice of Diesel oil as well. On another comment the Rotella 15W-40 is notated T5 if I am not mistaken.
I think you are mistaken!
At least in Canada it's also T6

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200222-080759_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200222-080759_Chrome.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 18

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
T5 & T6 are both available in 15w-40, difference is classification. T5 is rated for older spec diesels. T6 should be backwards compatable.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I have only seen it available as 5W-40 but I see that it is also available in 15W-40 as well, it just hasn't hit the shelves here in the lower 48.

njoconnor

Mar 1, 2020
Truck Year
It may be too early for this question, but here goes: the oil specc'd by the owner's manual for my just acquired 2020 EcoD carries an API SN requirement. Local dealer showed me a quart of Pennzoil Euro Blend ("Made from Natural Gas"), and said this is what they've been told to use. I've got 10+ qts of Rotella T-6 left from my 2014, and it seemed to like the Rotella (I also use Rotella T5 in my 72 Fiat spider, due to the flat tappets needing the extra zinc). I can't find anything that says the 2020 can use CK/CJ-4 spec , found on the T-6. So...use the T-6 for the first oil change, or switch to the Pennzoil and find somewhere else (the Fiat? :)) to use the T-6?

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
It may be too early for this question, but here goes: the oil specc'd by the owner's manual for my just acquired 2020 EcoD carries an API SN requirement. Local dealer showed me a quart of Pennzoil Euro Blend ("Made from Natural Gas"), and said this is what they've been told to use. I've got 10+ qts of Rotella T-6 left from my 2014, and it seemed to like the Rotella (I also use Rotella T5 in my 72 Fiat spider, due to the flat tappets needing the extra zinc). I can't find anything that says the 2020 can use CK/CJ-4 spec , found on the T-6. So...use the T-6 for the first oil change, or switch to the Pennzoil and find somewhere else (the Fiat? :)) to use the T-6?
I would continue to use the Rotella T6. Although I have not read any recommendation for the 2020 eco. The SN rating is for automotive engines with a smaller ZDDP package and is insufficient for diesel engine use. The Euro Blend in 5w-30 was removed from use by FCA in 2016.
Like you my 2014 and my wife's 2015 Jeep love Rotella T6 to the point of running smoother.

njoconnor

Mar 1, 2020
Truck Year
Cracked open the 2 inch pile o' manuals (well...actually cranked up Adobe and opened the pdf's...), and inside the Diesel Supplement for the 2020 Ecodiesel reads the following:

"We recommend you use 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such as
Mopar or Shell Rotella that meets FCA Material Standard
MS-10902 and the API SN engine oil category is required."

So, yeah, T-6 it is. Just have to adapt to the new 8.5qt capacity instead of the 10.5qt; and the new higher cost filters. Still cheaper than the dealer.

Speaking of....they reminded me I get my first oil change free. I declined with the 14, and started doing my own right away. About 18 months ago, the tone ring/crank positioner blew on the 14, and while it was in the shop, I had the dealer perform the then-due oil change. Next oil change after that, I was shocked to find the filter cartridge creased/bent inside the housing; I suspect the oil dude didn't know about snapping it into the housing, and just tossed it in the housing and cranked on the cap. I've got 9900 miles to think about this; opinions on "free" vs DIY welcome.

Off to drive it some more...and smile.....

Neil

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
VALVOLINE PREMIUM BLUE EXTREME meets all requirements for fca MS-10902 & CUMMINS CES 20086, I'll probably start switching over after my next oil change. It' about $66 on amazon.

njoconnor

Mar 1, 2020
Truck Year
Yeah, Bookmaker, I noticed that...and deeper in the diesel supplement it specifies either MOPAR or Pennzoil Euro with the SN designator. Sigh. Like I said, I have a few months to consider the issue, so we'll see what changes the Fiat deities direct over that time. Thanks for the Valvoline tip, Cavemann. I also noticed Mobil's DELVEC carried the SN rating.