• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EPA National Compliance Initiative - Stopping Aftermarket Defeat Devices

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
At present time the charge time is more like 14hrs+, however the hydrogen technology will be the savior and hopefully will develop fast enough that battery will not be considered. The environmental impact of mining and disposal of Lithium Ion batteries is far worse than hydrocarbon fuels. As well the electric grid infrastructure is presently running at 100% capacity and adding several million charge stations would collapse the system as we know it. No you can't just plug your car into the wall, like the environmentalists like to portray, it involves an additional transformer and $4500.00 charging station.There is very little hope that infrastructure will be fortified as a recent wind farm in Oklahoma was cancelled when a group of land owners sued to stop the transmission lines, and won. There are also additional economic hurdles to solar and wind energy in comparison to natural gas. Hydroelectric has fallen out of favor due to environmental concerns of natural fish populations and habitat.
you could always run a HUGE diesel generator to generate the power to run the charging station. Oh wait, EPA will shut it down if someone tunes it to run efficiently...

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Sorry but it requires a 30 amp breaker and a dryer plug to charge an electric vehicle quickly. $90.00 max
Don't know what electric vehicle you are charging. The Chevy Volt is advertised as using a wall socket for quick charging, yet reading the fine print that is a 12 hour recharge to get a maximum 50 mile range, a Level 2 charger, considerable larger cost yet faster charge, requires 32 to 50amps of 420 volts for a faster charge. Now the Volt is a hybrid with gas and battery power and pure electric vehicles require the more robust charger. At our Credit Union we have a loan program for the charging stations, require 220v 3 phase and in our city single phase is all that is supplied to households, commercial property can get 3 phase.

But lets say, for the sake of discussion, your scenario of a 30 amp dryer plug. If several million electric clothes dryers, car chargers, started in a rolling wave nationwide, would cause massive brown outs across the nation. Now lets consider the total registered motor vehicles in the United States, first quarter of 2019 estimated at 276 million, and make everyone of them electric. Just think about it for a minute.

My typical driving day is 100 miles, example 131miles one way to my assigned work place and 131 miles back after 8 hours yesterday. Today with a grand daughters soccer game and lunch meal registered a 100 miles round trip. I pull an RV trailer and parts or educational materials in gross quantities, I would need a couple of Volts. Part of the issue is a media and environmental movement which believes that everyone lives the way they do. Last article I read was a guy just preaching about how great his Volt was with his daily commute of 30 miles round trip, bought fuel in April last year. Everybody should have one.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Don't know what electric vehicle you are charging. The Chevy Volt is advertised as using a wall socket for quick charging, yet reading the fine print that is a 12 hour recharge to get a maximum 50 mile range, a Level 2 charger, considerable larger cost yet faster charge, requires 32 to 50amps of 420 volts for a faster charge. Now the Volt is a hybrid with gas and battery power and pure electric vehicles require the more robust charger. At our Credit Union we have a loan program for the charging stations, require 220v 3 phase and in our city single phase is all that is supplied to households, commercial property can get 3 phase.

But lets say, for the sake of discussion, your scenario of a 30 amp dryer plug. If several million electric clothes dryers, car chargers, started in a rolling wave nationwide, would cause massive brown outs across the nation. Now lets consider the total registered motor vehicles in the United States, first quarter of 2019 estimated at 276 million, and make everyone of them electric. Just think about it for a minute.

My typical driving day is 100 miles, example 131miles one way to my assigned work place and 131 miles back after 8 hours yesterday. Today with a grand daughters soccer game and lunch meal registered a 100 miles round trip. I pull an RV trailer and parts or educational materials in gross quantities, I would need a couple of Volts. Part of the issue is a media and environmental movement which believes that everyone lives the way they do. Last article I read was a guy just preaching about how great his Volt was with his daily commute of 30 miles round trip, bought fuel in April last year. Everybody should have one.

Congratulations! It sounds like an ecodiesel is exactly the right vehicle for your driving needs! Same reason I bought one, to get great fuel economy and hopefully have diesel reliability with the ability to comfortably and safely pull my TT.
I don't know too about Chevy Bolts or the Nissan Leaf charging systems. I have had a Tesla Model 3 for over a year now. We have put the average miles most people drive (12000) and it is more than adequate for 99% of our driving. Indeed we have been on a couple road trips and taken advantage of several styles of charging stations (including Teslas superchargers) and it is not the most convenient way to refuel, it takes around an hour or so to get back on the road. OK if you are sightseeing but not working.
Our car takes about 4 hrs.or so to charge at night (30 amp breaker 220 dryer outlet) so it is never an issue in our lives.
There are already 100,00's of EV's out there running around and no rolling blackouts yet! As a matter of fact I was able to offset much of the charging costs and power usage with the addition of a new variable speed heat pump and high efficiency furnace. My power bill shows very little significant increase over the past year.
EV's in their current state are in no way ready to replace ICE vehicles in all situations for all people and I have never heard anyone say "Everybody should have one" I have heard people say we should work towards more eco friendly ways of power generation and transportation though.

I am also sure the guy preaching about his Volt was telling the absolute truth as it applied to his lifestyle! You don't have to take it as a personal affront!

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
ck
Congratulations! It sounds like an ecodiesel is exactly the right vehicle for your driving needs! Same reason I bought one, to get great fuel economy and hopefully have diesel reliability with the ability to comfortably and safely pull my TT.
I don't know too about Chevy Bolts or the Nissan Leaf charging systems. I have had a Tesla Model 3 for over a year now. We have put the average miles most people drive (12000) and it is more than adequate for 99% of our driving. Indeed we have been on a couple road trips and taken advantage of several styles of charging stations (including Teslas superchargers) and it is not the most convenient way to refuel, it takes around an hour or so to get back on the road. OK if you are sightseeing but not working.
Our car takes about 4 hrs.or so to charge at night (30 amp breaker 220 dryer outlet) so it is never an issue in our lives.
There are already 100,00's of EV's out there running around and no rolling blackouts yet! As a matter of fact I was able to offset much of the charging costs and power usage with the addition of a new variable speed heat pump and high efficiency furnace. My power bill shows very little significant increase over the past year.
EV's in their current state are in no way ready to replace ICE vehicles in all situations for all people and I have never heard anyone say "Everybody should have one" I have heard people say we should work towards more eco friendly ways of power generation and transportation though.

I am also sure the guy preaching about his Volt was telling the absolute truth as it applied to his lifestyle! You don't have to take it as a personal affront!
Yes the Volt is a good car, quality, performance, as advertised. The Tesla Model 3 is a leap forward and expects commercial success, and I am glad it fits a part of your driving style. Several years back when CNG was $.40 a gallon I looked into converting my Chevy for fuel cost savings and for travel purposes I looked into fueling stations in mine and my wife's travels. The equipment cost was prohibitive so I balked and then the cost skyrocketed, in OK now running around $1.80 a gallon. We are presently looking at changing out our 20 year old HVAC and the newer efficiency ratings are fantastic, when we built our house twenty years back the electric usage of our two HVAC units was the same as our old home's single unit, the old house was half the size.

The first quarter of 2019 saw 127,000 EV's registered in the U.S., up from 107.000. The mental exercise I suggested was calculating not a quarter of a million but 267 million EV's, and at best situation 30 amps for 4 hours what kind of wattage will be consumed.

Yes I analyzed my driving style and needs before buying a newer vehicle and yes fuel mileage and total mileage was a consideration, my Chevy currently sits at 399K miles, original drive train, and I did the same for the purchase of my wife's eco Jeep GC.
In my field I have seen and been confronted by "environmentalists" and "environmental authors" and my experience is obviously not the same as yours. I appreciate that your attitude is not quite as confrontational as I have experienced, but, there is always a but, if you had investigated the environmental damage of mining Lithium and then the damage caused by disposal of the spent Lithium you may have changed your view of EV's. If you have and you are comfortable then more power to you. With my experience the best fit for each individual is not the same fit for all. I often tell people, on this forum and off, that you should analyze your needs for basic transportation, or entertainment transportation, I also ride motorcycles since I was 8 and raced professionally. After living through and seeing the effects of inner city air pollution in the 70's and 80's and the massive positive effects that emissions controls have accomplished, I firmly believe your environment as well as your needs should be considered when making vehicle decisions. And that those considerations can include global influences, think global act local, from a realistic environmental approach.

Enjoy the Tesla and the eco.

hossman

Oct 3, 2019
Truck Year
I talked to th
Thanks, I emailed GDE this morning but their responses to my e-mail was that their site was at idle for now. That they would respond back to my email as soon as they get some issues worked out.
[/QUOTE
I spoke to them directly and then don't ever plan on selling this again because of the crackdown. Has any ever used the HD diesel supply delete Kit. I was thing about that one.

Alexandr Got

Oct 22, 2018
Truck Year
After my 2014 ED cut on fire last year I joined a forum and ask everybody about engine fire. FCA 3rd party investigator make a tons of pictures smells engine and left side without telling me anything. Truck was as park all this time. This year FCA Denied claim I am in process of rebuilding truck found melted intake and burnt engine main harness . I got reply from GDE no more help , obviously they don’t do anything to ECU, no more tuning. Have a big dilemma. Should I go with a Banks aluminum intake and delete or staying with factory garbage. By the way now FCA recalls EGR collar and we all know why ED engine can go in flames

Raman

Dec 7, 2019
Truck Year
For some reason U.S.A. seems determined to discourage diesel engine ownership. Our fuel supply is low quality and the taxes are high.
A large portion of vehicles in Europe are diesel powered because of the higher mpg. Maybe the gasoline producers there don't have a choke hold on the regulators.
Actually it is because AOC and her kind want us to destroy all vehicles and ride horses. Oh yeah they fart. So maybe ride bikes

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Actually it is because AOC and her kind want us to destroy all vehicles and ride horses. Oh yeah they fart. So maybe ride bikes
It seems like it is the current administrations EPA that is in charge right now. Just sayin

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
Unless they can find a legal loophole or find a way to justify selling “off roads” tunes it is doubtful they will sell emissions overriding software like they did
Well I guess we can still hope, without some type of hot tune these trucks are not the same. I got the EPA update from the dealer and the mileage was reduced drastically. Thank GOD I got my GDE hot tune before the EPA shut them down.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
IMO and experience their is only two types of Tuning companies One's that sell race or Competition Only, and the Illegal ones that are on death row awaiting sentence.

Rumor has it more shutdowns coming.

So if you want tuning do it NOW, and Back up ALL files.

I notice the New 2.0 UPDATE (WITech) allows reflashing to Current Part#, So if possible and recommended have two PCM/ECMs ,one OEM the other Tuned.