• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ETC failure

GoRam1

Sep 26, 2017
Truck Year
Hey everyone. I just registered for this forum, in order to find possible answers to our ecodiesel issues. We have a 2015 outdoorsman model. Had it 2 yrs now and as of last evening, going on its 4th trip to the dealership for electronic throttle control issues, which. A socially disables the truck. Yes, it is drivable but with almost complete loss of power and won't go over 40 mph. As we understand, from previous trips to the shop, our truck is going to continue to do this around every 10-12k miles. It was explained to us that the turbo and associated parts (ETC) are caking with soot build up from the burning of fuel and that the aluminum block doesn't allow enough heat to be created in order to burn off this build up. Any way...that is what the mechanic has concluded. They basically go in and clean the mess up and it will be ok til the next time it happens. I'm worried about after our warranty is expired, that we'll have to start paying out of pocket for this procedure every time it's needed.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hey everyone. I just registered for this forum, in order to find possible answers to our ecodiesel issues. We have a 2015 outdoorsman model. Had it 2 yrs now and as of last evening, going on its 4th trip to the dealership for electronic throttle control issues, which. A socially disables the truck. Yes, it is drivable but with almost complete loss of power and won't go over 40 mph. As we understand, from previous trips to the shop, our truck is going to continue to do this around every 10-12k miles. It was explained to us that the turbo and associated parts (ETC) are caking with soot build up from the burning of fuel and that the aluminum block doesn't allow enough heat to be created in order to burn off this build up. Any way...that is what the mechanic has concluded. They basically go in and clean the mess up and it will be ok til the next time it happens. I'm worried about after our warranty is expired, that we'll have to start paying out of pocket for this procedure every time it's needed.

I wouldn't say that assessment is correct. If you search "throttle control" on the forums here you'll find hundreds of threads with users that have had the same issue. It's not one common fix it seems.. some have to have injectors, etc.

Have you tried another dealer? If so, regardless the current dealer shouldn't expect you to come in every 10K miles for a "fix".

Apks

Oct 8, 2017
Truck Year
Mine did the same thing and was also loosing coolant. They are replacing the erg valve and EGR cooler at a cost of $3100 out of my pocket. Not powertrain so not covered!

Tarantelle

Oct 16, 2017
Truck Year
I had a check engine light and the ETC light come on the other day on my 2017 Laramie with only 663 miles. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't figure anything out. The check engine light came on again on my way home from the dealer. I'm hoping the isn't the start of a long painful process.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I had a check engine light and the ETC light come on the other day on my 2017 Laramie with only 663 miles. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't figure anything out. The check engine light came on again on my way home from the dealer. I'm hoping the isn't the start of a long painful process.

Welcome to the site!

Randy Slipher

Nov 11, 2016
Truck Year
I have a 2016 ecodiesel & had the same problem & it was an egr code. They had to replace the egr cooler at 23,000 miles because it was plugged up.

Benito

Sep 27, 2016
Truck Year
Mine did the same thing and was also loosing coolant. They are replacing the erg valve and EGR cooler at a cost of $3100 out of my pocket. Not powertrain so not covered!
Get your truck deleted off road ASAP. it will save you a bundle

dnord

Jan 26, 2017
Truck Year
You all are scaring me, I have a 2016 with 24k miles and everything has been great. I am curious, what type of driving do you all do that is cakiing the egr ect.? I have a pretty good stretch of highway and a little in stop and go traffic. Are you all towing?

Benito

Sep 27, 2016
Truck Year
Been there 6 times, 4 times replacing injectors. Like clockwork every 10K miles.
My model is 2015 as well, and it appears that the emission crap is what’s causing the injectors failure.
My dealer has agreed to buyback, and I am considering another ecodiesel! Call me crazy but I am positive if I get it deleted the first day this will never happen again. Just make sure your dealer is as cool as mine and won’t void your warranty.
Here is the largest dealer in the west coast : you could pick up a crew cab tradesman for as low as 27K brand new https://www.hbchryslerdodgejeepram....entory-listing1-facet-anchor-normalFuelType-0

If you are in the east coast like I am this dealer is the largest and has the cheapest prices around, crewcab tradesman for 32K but I am sure you could get it for as low as 28K if he matches the west coast guys

http://www.31dodge.com/new-inventor...entory-listing1-facet-anchor-normalFuelType-0

Get that sucker deleted ! You will never have that problem EVER

Benito

Sep 27, 2016
Truck Year
You all are scaring me, I have a 2016 with 24k miles and everything has been great. I am curious, what type of driving do you all do that is cakiing the egr ect.? I have a pretty good stretch of highway and a little in stop and go traffic. Are you all towing?

Yes heavy regular towing. More soot. This is a common issue with all modern diesels. My brother in law is in the same boat with a duramax. Delete if you are able and put your anexiaty in the freezer

Last edited:

Craig Hopkins

Jan 5, 2016
Truck Year
Yes heavy regular towing. More soot. This is a common issue with all modern diesels. My brother in law is in the same boat with a duramax. Delete if you are able and put your anexiaty in the freezer
What do you mean delete? Delete what?

Jambrose711

Jun 14, 2015
Truck Year
Hey everyone. I just registered for this forum, in order to find possible answers to our ecodiesel issues. We have a 2015 outdoorsman model. Had it 2 yrs now and as of last evening, going on its 4th trip to the dealership for electronic throttle control issues, which. A socially disablee

This recently happened to me as well, referring to this forum has helped a lot. I have 53,000 miles on my 2015 Laramie Limited ED. Something to note is that I have 1754 hours Idle and 1686 hours Driving. Now before 2013 and the EGR a Diesel could easily ban ran idle long periods of time with no issue. I don't always have the opportunity or road space to run highway speeds to burn it off. Now my check engine light came on 2 months ago. I checked it and of course it was the EGR code. I took it into a dealer here where im working in Cincinnati, Ohio. They quoted me $115 to look at it, no big deal cause I was certain it would be covered under warranty. A couple days later they called to say it was done. I went to pick it up and I had a bill for $155. They claimed to have did a manual regen., they just cleaned the EGR instead of replacing it. I was furious because I never authorized any work to be done. I fought tooth and nail with them and then got RAM involved. A few days later I was driving back home to Pittsburgh, PA. This is about a 300 mile drive. 30 minutes into my drive I get the 'lighting bolt of death' light. ETC! Power is limited and it made my 4 1/2 drive a 9 hour drive. I barely rolled into my local Ram dealer back home and they've seen the issue before. A lot of dealers have not experienced this issue before and don't know how to treat it. They told me the injectors and tubing would be replaced. The bad news is that parts were back ordered till November. This was labor day weekend! My truck is my livelihood. I was forced to get a rental and leave my truck back in Pittsburgh while I drove 300 miles back to Cincinnati for work. They advised me to contact Ram again and start a case so that they could have the parts expedited. I had already read here that had worked for others. Sure enough, the parts were expedited and it was in the shop for 3 weeks total. Ram paid me back for my rental and reimbursed me for the EGR "cleaning". I had asked for an official answer because one dealer says its covered under power-train warranty which your EGR IS COVERED under power-train. The other dealer says it is not. Ram wanted to stay neutral. After a day of having my truck back and again making the 300 mile trip i noticed some issues...the truck would shake at a red light and light pressure to the gas pedal would cause heavy vibrations. A week after having it back the EGR code shows up AGAIN. I had no choice but to take it back to the dealer that charged me for the EGR manual regen. This time they replaced the EGR and I've had my truck back for about 2 weeks. The other morning some coworkers walked in front of my truck and noticed the smell of coolant. As I look back on the invoice it shows they had to add coolant. Right now im monitoring coolant levels to make sure I don't have a leak. Now all of this has happened to at least 3 other ED owners that I know of personally. One of which I work with and owns the Jeep ED and Ram ED. He was out a total of 6 months without his Ram and just couldn't understand how no one could fix the issue. He eventually just traded both of them in out of frustration for a cummins. With all this said, I'm shocked this hasn't lead to a class action lawsuit (even though ive heard rumors one has been started). The EGR is a direct result of these issues. I keep hearing from so many people "delete it" or "chip it". But I paid a good price for my 3 year unlimited mile warranty. On top of that I'm still covered under the 100,000 mile power-train warranty and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize that. Now with all this said, my local Ram dealer has made two statements about this. 1. He can't guarantee me that the injectors being replaced will solve the issues because some time ago the protocol was to actually replace the turbo. 2. He believes it to be a fuel source issue, Western PA, to Eastern OH. I don't think this is the case! I hope this helps a little, again....I found this forum to be very helpful concerning this issue.

yx9229ic

Jan 19, 2016
Truck Year
I have a 2015 Ecodiesel and have only had an electronic throttle control light once and it was -30 degrees F outside. They reloaded some software and it was fine. But I drive mine really hard, I put on 180+ miles a day at approximately 80 mph. My 2015 has 130,000 miles on it.

Tee2020

Nov 5, 2016
Truck Year
Hey have tried hot shots diesel additive
Www.hitshotsecret.com
I use this every time my mileage goes down and it cleans system and mileage goes back up and I stick with shell fuel they use synthetic additive that helps to low soot. Read up on it. Had issues also took too dealer they recommend shell also I know all fuels are equal but here in USA compare to Canada they have additives

ct.com

PitterPatterEcoRam

Feb 18, 2016
Truck Year
+1 for the GDE software EGR delete, it's just a matter of giving them your injector and vin info, they program a new ECM, you swap and send the old one back. While not cheap, it all but guarantees engine longevity.

Reimaster

Dec 26, 2016
Truck Year
Been there 6 times, 4 times replacing injectors. Like clockwork every 10K miles.
My model is 2015 as well, and it appears that the emission crap is what’s causing the injectors failure.
My dealer has agreed to buyback, and I am considering another ecodiesel! Call me crazy but I am positive if I get it deleted the first day this will never happen again. Just make sure your dealer is as cool as mine and won’t void your warranty.
Here is the largest dealer in the west coast : you could pick up a crew cab tradesman for as low as 27K brand new https://www.hbchryslerdodgejeepram....entory-listing1-facet-anchor-normalFuelType-0

If you are in the east coast like I am this dealer is the largest and has the cheapest prices around, crewcab tradesman for 32K but I am sure you could get it for as low as 28K if he matches the west coast guys

http://www.31dodge.com/new-inventor...entory-listing1-facet-anchor-normalFuelType-0

Get that sucker deleted ! You will never have that problem EVER
The first link takes you to a California dealer, doesn't deletion alter the emissions equipment? If so, doesn't that make the vehicle illegal in California? After 6 years, when you need a smog check, what do you do then?

PitterPatterEcoRam

Feb 18, 2016
Truck Year
The first link takes you to a California dealer, doesn't deletion alter the emissions equipment? If so, doesn't that make the vehicle illegal in California? After 6 years, when you need a smog check, what do you do then?
GDE tune is CA compliant ;) and California Diesel SMOG is every 2 years regardless...... Trust me I know 1st hand.

mykee50

Jul 1, 2017
Truck Year
That was my next question too. Thanks, you guy's are quick on here. I'm assuming GDE would be legal in the Seattle, WA area too being CA has the strictest emissions laws. Do you have to have a diesel mechanic do it? How hard is it? Thanks again, Mike