• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ETC failure

Michel Lavoie

Aug 23, 2016
Truck Year
I had a check engine light and the ETC light come on the other day on my 2017 Laramie with only 663 miles. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't figure anything out. The check engine light came on again on my way home from the dealer. I'm hoping the isn't the start of a long painful process.

If you get a check engine light a code is recorded in the ECU and the mechanic must to retrieve the code. if that doesn't work with your dealership try another dealer.

PitterPatterEcoRam

Feb 18, 2016
Truck Year
That was my next question too. Thanks, you guy's are quick on here. I'm assuming GDE would be legal in the Seattle, WA area too being CA has the strictest emissions laws. Do you have to have a diesel mechanic do it? How hard is it? Thanks again, Mike
It is super complicated....... You need to remove 4 bolts, unplug the ECM, plug in the new one, replace bolts
and drive it until the regen finishes. It's on the passenger side under the airbox towards the firewall.

mykee50

Jul 1, 2017
Truck Year
It is super complicated....... You need to remove 4 bolts, unplug the ECM, plug in the new one, replace bolts
and drive it until the regen finishes. It's on the passenger side under the airbox towards the firewall.
SAE or Metric? :LOL:

mykee50

Jul 1, 2017
Truck Year

Do you just get the Off-Road option or some or all of the others?

Riccardo Rasberry

Oct 11, 2017
Truck Year
Hey everyone. I just registered for this forum, in order to find possible answers to our ecodiesel issues. We have a 2015 outdoorsman model. Had it 2 yrs now and as of last evening, going on its 4th trip to the dealership for electronic throttle control issues, which. A socially disables the truck. Yes, it is drivable but with almost complete loss of power and won't go over 40 mph. As we understand, from previous trips to the shop, our truck is going to continue to do this around every 10-12k miles. It was explained to us that the turbo and associated parts (ETC) are caking with soot build up from the burning of fuel and that the aluminum block doesn't allow enough heat to be created in order to burn off this build up. Any way...that is what the mechanic has concluded. They basically go in and clean the mess up and it will be ok til the next time it happens. I'm worried about after our warranty is expired, that we'll have to start paying out of pocket for this procedure every time it's needed.

This is a paper the service department provided me after fixing my electronic throttle control issue. Chrysler sent me a survey where I reamed them up and down. The local dealer then call me and apologized and promised to keep me running right

Attachments

• 1508794757434489214988.jpg
    1508794757434489214988.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 34

Apks

Oct 8, 2017
Truck Year
I have a 2016 ecodiesel & had the same problem & it was an egr code. They had to replace the egr cooler at 23,000 miles because it was plugged up.
Do the GDE tune or trade it when warranty runs out. It will continue to happen.

Gary Childre

Dec 14, 2017
Truck Year
Hey everyone. I just registered for this forum, in order to find possible answers to our ecodiesel issues. We have a 2015 outdoorsman model. Had it 2 yrs now and as of last evening, going on its 4th trip to the dealership for electronic throttle control issues, which. A socially disables the truck. Yes, it is drivable but with almost complete loss of power and won't go over 40 mph. As we understand, from previous trips to the shop, our truck is going to continue to do this around every 10-12k miles. It was explained to us that the turbo and associated parts (ETC) are caking with soot build up from the burning of fuel and that the aluminum block doesn't allow enough heat to be created in order to burn off this build up. Any way...that is what the mechanic has concluded. They basically go in and clean the mess up and it will be ok til the next time it happens. I'm worried about after our warranty is expired, that we'll have to start paying out of pocket for this procedure every time it's needed.
I too have a 2015 Laramie and am in the process of claiming it as a lemon due to the fact that I have had my truck in the shop 10 times since last December and almost every time the electronic control throttle failure light came on. It has been a different problem every time except when I to had a problem with the leaking of the coolant through the EGR inner cooler. It took the dealer 3 times before it got fixed and that was because I did some research and found out about the inner cooler and told them about it and guess what that was the problem. I really like this truck but I can't depend on it any more because of it breaking down every time I turn around. I am trying to either get a new truck or my money back.

Boondocker

Jun 14, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
I just got mine back from the dealer. It threw a code and I got a check engine light, a small lightening bolt icon, with "Electronic Throttle Control" displayed message. I had no boost, but was able to drive it to the dealer at highway speed, just not much power. They said that the intake pipe had frozen water in it and did not know how it happened. They figured it's from condensation and that if it happens again, I'll need to get the grill blanket. I asked if they knew if one was being sent to my home or not. They kinda chuckled and gave me a funny look, then said it cost 129.00, but they were on back order. I explained that I thought there was a recall for this, but they didn't know anything about it. I have a few questions...
1) Does the GDE tune void the factory warranty?
2) Why doesn't FCA just tune it the same way and avoid warranty claims, Class Action lawsuits & people applying for the "Lemon Law"?
3) I drive 25 miles one way to work pretty much at 60 mph. Is this long enough to avoid these problems?

Boondocker

Jun 14, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
Does anyone know if GDE offers there tune as a flash instead of an entire ECM swap?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
1) Does the GDE tune void the factory warranty?
2) Why doesn't FCA just tune it the same way and avoid warranty claims, Class Action lawsuits & people applying for the "Lemon Law"?
3) I drive 25 miles one way to work pretty much at 60 mph. Is this long enough to avoid these problems?

1) Any tuning could void the warranty if FCA finds you modified your ECM and you have a major failure. This is true with all manufactures.

2) I would rather have them answer this question.. :D

3) Yes, that's a nice distance to keep the regen cycle happy.

You can't flash the EcoDiesel via the OBD2 port due to restrictions put in place by the manufacture. Hence that is why everyone requires you to do a ECM swap as they are flashed on what they call a "bench".

Boondocker

Jun 14, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
1) Any tuning could void the warranty if FCA finds you modified your ECM and you have a major failure. This is true with all manufactures.

2) I would rather have them answer this question.. :D

3) Yes, that's a nice distance to keep the regen cycle happy.

You can't flash the EcoDiesel via the OBD2 port due to restrictions put in place by the manufacture. Hence that is why everyone requires you to do a ECM swap as they are flashed on what they call a "bench".

Can a laptop be used instead?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Can a laptop be used instead?

Well a laptop is needed to run that software/hardware that companies like PPEI, GDE, etc use to flash these trucks.. but no, you can't just plug the laptop into the OBD2 port.

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
That was my next question too. Thanks, you guy's are quick on here. I'm assuming GDE would be legal in the Seattle, WA area too being CA has the strictest emissions laws. Do you have to have a diesel mechanic do it? How hard is it? Thanks again, Mike
Gde tune is not ca compliant its also not legal in any state. In fact gde no longer sells in the state of ca.

RamSingh

Feb 14, 2019
Truck Year
The GDE swap is really easy. Take out air filter assembly, disconnect 4 electrical connections, unscrew 4 bolts. Reverse above .... done. They have instructions on their web site ( just search on the forum tab )
They are prompt in replying to emails too. Wish I had done sooner. Next transmission tune in a couple of months. By the way to change oil and fuel filter is so easy also, check YouTube. Save some cash.

Maurice Lavigne

Oct 22, 2020
Truck Year
Mine did the same thing and was also loosing coolant. They are replacing the erg valve and EGR cooler at a cost of $3100 out of my pocket. Not powertrain so not covered!
I have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Eoc Diesel and have the same message "Service Electronic Throttle Control" and also loosing coolant within the engine somehow. Curious did replacing the EGR Valve and EGR Cooler solve the problem? And if so, for how long did it last?

bob1340

Jun 29, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
The GDE swap is really easy. Take out air filter assembly, disconnect 4 electrical connections, unscrew 4 bolts. Reverse above .... done. They have instructions on their web site ( just search on the forum tab )
They are prompt in replying to emails too. Wish I had done sooner. Next transmission tune in a couple of months. By the way to change oil and fuel filter is so easy also, check YouTube. Save some cash.
LOL Being in California I can't even look at their stuff.