• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Exhaust bolts Part of maintenance ? New to me!!!

Old man

Mar 14, 2019
Truck Year
Ok guys listen to this! 2015 Ed. Exhaust bolt broken just before cat on a family trip. While on highway def warning lite kicks on. Must be service at dealer or shut down 200 miles. I get to my destination find a dealer down here in cape May nj. Recall was done 5,000 miles ago so I’m thinking ok has something to do with recall nope!! My exhaust bolt snapped for no apparent reason and created a vacuum that sucked def into intake and wiped out injectors !! Truck is in shop now as I’m still on vacation. Be aware!!! Check all exhaust bolt regularly!! These trucks have domino effect Poor design. Trucks should be bought back!!!

John

Nov 13, 2015
Never heard of such a thing. The following doesn't even sound possible to me. " created a vacuum that sucked def into intake and wiped out injectors !! " The SCR (where DEF is injected) is so far downstream from the intake manifold there's no way DEF was sucked into the intake manifold. So the theory is the DEF was sucked back from the SCR, through the DPF and reversed through the turbo and injected into the intake?? Not sure what those guys are smoking but it must be good stuff. :)

Luc_sko

May 29, 2019
Truck Year
Yeah I agree with above. I don’t see how that is possible. If your referring to the V band on the flange just above the DPF the turbo would just keep pushing exhaust out where the Vband is. No way would it suck anything back up in.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
Yeah I agree with above. I don’t see how that is possible. If your referring to the V band on the flange just above the DPF the turbo would just keep pushing exhaust out where the Vband is. No way would it suck anything back up in.
Me too, I've taken my DEF injector off regularily to clean it out, and it's so far back away from the intakes, that doesn't even seem physically possible... I think you're being taken for a $$$$ ride.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Ok guys listen to this! 2015 Ed. Exhaust bolt broken just before cat on a family trip. While on highway def warning lite kicks on. Must be service at dealer or shut down 200 miles. I get to my destination find a dealer down here in cape May nj. Recall was done 5,000 miles ago so I’m thinking ok has something to do with recall nope!! My exhaust bolt snapped for no apparent reason and created a vacuum that sucked def into intake and wiped out injectors !! Truck is in shop now as I’m still on vacation. Be aware!!! Check all exhaust bolt regularly!! These trucks have domino effect Poor design. Trucks should be bought back!!!
After re reading this post I'm wondering if the dealer is actually saying an exhaust bolt near the DEF injector broke and caused a leak that somehow damaged the DEF injector.

Old man

Mar 14, 2019
Truck Year
Picking up Friday I’ll have the whole break down of parts and what was done. I’ll will update later

Old man

Mar 14, 2019
Truck Year
Sorry guys long time so the bolt s 2 of them snapped do to rust even though my truck is clean under body, just after the flex pipe and burnt out the def injector. Ram covers all expenses as part of the extended recall warranty. Now it’s going in for swirl valve in intake in a few weeks see if I can get that covered do to vehicle running dirty since new

Old man

Mar 14, 2019
Truck Year
Ok. Took truck to dealer today for them to diagnose the intake swirl valve being stuck open do to soot build up they are covering it under extended warranty of emissions They’ve ordered manifold, Win for us owners!!! If anyone has similar problems get your baby in to dealer before Dodge finds a loophole this fix is big money. Intake manifold alone is $2000. Than $85 a hour labor it’s a 8-10 hour job.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Ok. Took truck to dealer today for them to diagnose the intake swirl valve being stuck open do to soot build up they are covering it under extended warranty of emissions They’ve ordered manifold, Win for us owners!!! If anyone has similar problems get your baby in to dealer before Dodge finds a loophole this fix is big money. Intake manifold alone is $2000. Than $85 a hour labor it’s a 8-10 hour job.

Glad it's covered, as it should be!

Old man

Mar 14, 2019
Truck Year
New manifold installed. Night and day difference power back at mid to high rpms. Still a dog at stand still take offs do to recall update ,but all that soot in intake really takes a toll on power no cel remote start works again going into the winter months

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
New manifold installed. Night and day difference power back at mid to high rpms. Still a dog at stand still take offs do to recall update ,but all that soot in intake really takes a toll on power no cel remote start works again going into the winter months
are you in the U.S.A? I wonder if it's covered in Canada, we dont' get any extended warranty or $$ from FCA. All we get is a slap on the wrist for buying this truck...

Veefer99

Feb 7, 2019
Truck Year
Same here, one stainless steel bolt snapped at the flange by the DEF injector, while filling the broken piece out the other one falls off. No rust whatsoever on the boat only the knot is Rusted. It's not the rust but the fracture in a bolt that causes it crack it's a very small diameter bolt for a big exhaust flange , poor design. Dealer says it's a rust problem and extended warranty does not cover it. They want $500 to drill the bolt out. I intend to replace all three bolts with good quality ones. No check engine light on and no other problems with the injector yet.20200116_175118.jpg20200116_175151.jpg

Veefer99

Feb 7, 2019
Truck Year
Well , during gasket and final bolt replacement I found a big surprise inside exhaust. Check the picture, broken ceramic filter squares from DPF . That might be the reason behind bad exhaust smell, clouds of white smoke on one occasion and P20EE and P2002 alternating. It goes to the dealer on Monday. Still have few weeks of extended warranty left.

Attachments

• 20200305_205013.jpg
    20200305_205013.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 31