• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Exhaust filter 100% full Service Required

Angelaj67

Feb 19, 2019
Truck Year
Define highway driving for you? Are these 55mph highways? 70 or 75 mph? Are they freeways where there are no stops or slow downs? Is the truck over 190 degrees before you get on the highway? How long are the stretches in time and distance? etc...
My truck is warmed up and speeds of 75mph

Deward

Feb 5, 2019
Truck Year
Deward

You are creating soot during the Active Regen Cycle, It just does not get the ash burnout, It takes considerable more fuel during the Stationary Desooting , if you injected that amount during operating you would be increasing wear to the rotating mass.

The best way to check your DPF after stationary desooting is the sniff test, Yep Sniff test, go back to exhaust tail pipe and sniff if it smells do the cycle again until all the odor/smell is gone, at times you have to drive the vehicle after the 1st desooting, it has taken Me up to 3 stationary desoots to get it all cleaned out..

I do agree on the WF, in cold temps it will aidin faster warm ups, just open it or remove when temps warm up...Gzee I see that WF when it 40F + You want cool dense air, it more efficient combustion and lowers the soot levels.
Agreed! That is what baffled me the most about my situation. Yes, it was COLD, but I was pulling my 7x16 enclosed trailer loaded with 20 gallons of gas and one snowmobile for 5 hours until I got to the cabin in the U.P. (Michigan). Parked and shut down for two [COLD] nights, but it should have been extremely ideal conditions for the active regen cycle(s) during my trip up. Then the DPF filled up within three hours of driving with the CEL/SETC and derated coming back. What is stupid in my mind is that the SETC caused the system to disable the active regen ability in my case.
On the way up, the truck was over 200 degrees most of the way. It went up over 210 for the first time I have ever witness in my 20,000 miles of ownership, which I found extremely strange in the cold with a strong headwind. Remember, I still do not have my grill cover.
What I will say is that the grill cover would have done nothing for the cold start the morning that the SETC came on. I believe it was the Turbo Underboost code that caused all the problems that morning. All the running and being hot on the way there, then shut down in the cold for two days, that is where the condensation and freezing situation in the intake manifold / turbo -- that is my way of rationalizing the whole thing. In that case, maybe a block heater would have kept things in better condition and allowed the condensation to be alleviated (or at least not freeze?) that triggered the underboost and SETC/CEL issue. But would a block heater keep the intake condensation from freezing in -12 to -18 temps over two days? Not sure the heat generated in the block would be able to accomplish this.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I stationary desoot many trucks over the years, Some owners bring them here just to get the service performed correctly, I don't believe I've had one return in short order... These DPF vehicles that see majority Stop and go city driving just need to have Stationary desooting done 1 or 2 times yearly or eventually its $$$$ in repairs and hassle.

The 3.0 at majority HWY use seems to do ok....

RamSingh

Feb 14, 2019
Truck Year
Running Hot Shots Diesel Extreme, 8 ounces twice a year into full tank ...... that’s it done.

Deward

Feb 5, 2019
Truck Year
Running Hot Shots Diesel Extreme, 8 ounces twice a year into full tank ...... that’s it done.
I, too, use the Hot Shots products. I use EDT in each tank full and have used 32oz of the diesel extreme in my 22,000 miles of ownership. One big shot after 5000 and then two 8oz shots over the last 2500 while I was limping through the Service ETC problem.

Update: Dealer did force regen (one cycle) after three weeks of derated driving and everything is back to normal.

I installed my winter front last night and there is a definite improvement to warming up the engine — 6 degrees outside this morning. About 10 degrees tonight. It does a great job of keeping the coolant temp above 185, even in city and snowy, icy, slow conditions.

My truck started a regen at 147 degrees and around 40mph with only 35 miles of range left on the tank. All things that I thought were below limits of when a regen with initiate. At least it is working!

Sarafrom CA

May 3, 2019
Truck Year
Hello every one. I just bought 2014 1500 last Sunday. I read through this forum and have the same problems as you all. " Electronic throttle " message yesterday then today " exhaust filter message with 100% service with contact dealer." & all of the above, no proper on freeway or freeway. I live in Northern ca between Sac and Tahoe in the foothills. I saw lots of you talking about cold temperatures but for me this all happened with our weather at about 79 degrees here. Dealer can't get me in till Monday so I'm just glad I didn't trade in my tundra , which I'll have to drive all weekend. After having toyotas for last 10 years I'm thinking I'm in for lots of cost with maintenance ? Any tips are greatly appreciated ✌

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Likely you have no need to visit the dealer. To clear your code you need to clean your EGR diffuser and your MAP sensor. The video is below.

The EGR causes a lot of troubles on this truck. The exhaust from the EGR cokes up your EGR diffuser tube, the MAP sensor and the intake. Worse yet, when the EGR cooler fails it starts pushing coolant into the intake. A hybrid diesel/steam engine is not a good engine. The only way to stop all this nonsense is to turn off the EGR valve.

That is a lot easier to do when you don't live in California. Hopefully someone from California will give you good options. I would not trust the dealer or the last guy's oil change either. Get a new filter and 11 quarts of Rotella T6 and change your oil.

Sarafrom CA

May 3, 2019
Truck Year
Likely you have no need to visit the dealer. To clear your code you need to clean your EGR diffuser and your MAP sensor. The video is below.

The EGR causes a lot of troubles on this truck. The exhaust from the EGR cokes up your EGR diffuser tube, the MAP sensor and the intake. Worse yet, when the EGR cooler fails it starts pushing coolant into the intake. A hybrid diesel/steam engine is not a good engine. The only way to stop all this nonsense is to turn off the EGR valve.

That is a lot easier to do when you don't live in California. Hopefully someone from California will give you good options. I would not trust the dealer or the last guy's oil change either. Get a new filter and 11 quarts of Rotella T6 and change your oil.

Goooo

good morning and thank you for the reply.

Thank you. I'm going to try that. I got nervous since I just bought this truck and they offered 90 services. I YouTube oil changes and it says in 1 video, the guy said after about 30-40 mins another few quarts come through. That there is a reserve or just takes time to fully drain. If someone did a quick or half as oil change it leaves that oil up n there and causes problems. thought that might be the case with this truck since I got it from a small used car lot in sac. I have a feeling this forum is going to come in handy .

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Goooo

good morning and thank you for the reply.

Thank you. I'm going to try that. I got nervous since I just bought this truck and they offered 90 services. I YouTube oil changes and it says in 1 video, the guy said after about 30-40 mins another few quarts come through. That there is a reserve or just takes time to fully drain. If someone did a quick or half as oil change it leaves that oil up n there and causes problems. thought that might be the case with this truck since I got it from a small used car lot in sac. I have a feeling this forum is going to come in handy .
well, that last little 3 ounces won't trouble you much. Just drain it for 10 minutes and you will get all but the dribs and draps. The bigger trouble is where someone wanted to trade it in and shockingly used .99 cent a quart oil. Its amazing how little people care about their truck when they are trading in. Even worse, some people clear all codes at the auto parts store right before they trade in their truck. Its almost like they trade it in when it is having problems! (ha!) That is why I just hate buying used cars and trucks. Anyway, don't worry about that last 3 ounces. Just put in a good quality synthetic oil meeting API CJ-4. Rotella T6 is great. I add a quart of full synthetic Lucas Oil Treatment too, that stuff is awesome. While you are at the parts store, ask them to pull the permanent codes on the truck for you.

Sarafrom CA

May 3, 2019
Truck Year
thank you I appreciate all the info you guys are giving I was always taught to take care of my vehicles and never take the cheap way it ends up costing you in the long run so so hoping if I teach myself and do everything that needs to be done when it needs to be done I can stay on top of these issues that I've Googled and again thank you for all the information

computerdiehard

Jun 8, 2017
Truck Year
Hello every one. I just bought 2014 1500 last Sunday. I read through this forum and have the same problems as you all. " Electronic throttle " message yesterday then today " exhaust filter message with 100% service with contact dealer." & all of the above, no proper on freeway or freeway. I live in Northern ca between Sac and Tahoe in the foothills. I saw lots of you talking about cold temperatures but for me this all happened with our weather at about 79 degrees here. Dealer can't get me in till Monday so I'm just glad I didn't trade in my tundra , which I'll have to drive all weekend. After having toyotas for last 10 years I'm thinking I'm in for lots of cost with maintenance ? Any tips are greatly appreciated ✌

I had this issue with mine but I am running a Banks derringer tune which splices into the OEM connector using Banks connector. Truck was in the shop for 5 days and they couldn't fix it. I disconnected the negative battery post unplugged the sensor and using the Banks iDash 1.8 gauge cleared the error code.

Dfrickan

Oct 28, 2019
Truck Year
So I have had this same issue. I had a engine light that I didn't take care of right away which then stopped the regens. I eventually got 100% and the dealer message. I also had the throttle light flashing and a limp mode. The dealer said it cost me 165 and hour and 1-4 hrs for the forced Regen. That's not including the crap they would have come up with for the throttle light. My suspected diagnosis is that the throttle light is simply a generic response to the dpf full light. So I fixed my original issue and I then. Took my Autel scanner and started looking into the issue. In the freezeframe it showed that the throttle light came on at the identicle time as the soot level code. It was clearly a generic response. I then got the truck to operating temperature and did a dpf service and standstill Regen with the tool. It took 20 min and ran at about 2500rpm. I then reset the sensors levels and the truck was clean and good to go. THE AUTEL MS906BT CAN DO THIS!!!! I do not need the dealer and I will avoid their "help" as much as possible.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Dfrickan, did you do a visual of the Plenum and MAP sensor.

Dfrickan

Oct 28, 2019
Truck Year
What do you mean. Did I do a visual. I checked it all with a boredscope and then I got to work. I have a picture of the dirty plenum. Didnt take a picture after the fact.

Dfrickan

Oct 28, 2019
Truck Year
Oh sorry I am thinking of another forum and was confused. But no I didnt keep an eye on them through the test. I did some work on the truck on Saturday and I had the map sensor and everything out. I borescoped the manifold to look for soot. But all is well

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
you can do a forced regen with alpha obd very cheap for what u can do with it

avallejos

Dec 8, 2020
Truck Year
I know this is an old thread but came across it when googling this problem on my 2014 ecodiesel.

Yesterday I got the notification: Exhaust Filter 100% Full. Service Required. See Dealer.

In the weeks prior to this, I got a couple notifications about the filter being 80% full but Regen was in Progress. It ended up going away and I didn't think much else of it. I hadn't been driving the truck much over the past few weeks. When the notification came on yesterday, it was when I first started the engine. I drove for about 20 minutes and Regen wouldn't start.

Called my dealer and took it in today. When I started the engine this morning I got the notification to service electronic throttle. The dealer needed to do a force Regen on it. Fortunately it was covered under the extended warranty that resulted from the current Class Action Settlement. It didn't cost me anything. I had them put in a new fuel filter while they were at it. The tech mentioned that a dirty filter can can delays in the regen process and lead to this happening.

Just wanted to share my experience with this...

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Dirty fuel filter related to DPF % is equal to a hurricane in MN in January.

The fuel creates the soot that plugs the DPF, lack of Fuel= less Soot, Plus lack of fuel would lower the Fuel PSI to the Point the COV in The CP4 would stay closed, and the Truck would NOT start or have performance issue's.