• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

FCA Engine Replacement

Kbrubaker3

Aug 10, 2021
Truck Year
Has anyone had luck with FCA’s extended warranty covering a replacement engine? My engine shut off going 70MPH and flashed low oil pressure. Engine wouldn’t start again and just clicked when I turned the key. I had it towed to the dealership and they are saying my engine completely seized up.

2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. 130k miles.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Welcome to the forum.
I have not had the experience but there are plenty of cases where the engine was replaced without problems when under any engine-related warranty.

Frank246

Feb 20, 2019
Truck Year
I had my engine changed out with 96K miles due to a head gasket failure under the MoPar Extended 8/100K mile waranty. No problem (except I can't get them to respond to my $2000+ claim up to the $1000 limit) since August last year.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
What are you claiming?

Frank246

Feb 20, 2019
Truck Year
Broke down in Texas and took 20 days to get fixed with tone wheel and starter. Was camping with wife and dog and no way to get home. Could not even get a rental.

Additional cost was over $2500 and just trying to get the max under the warranty of $1000.

Frank246

Feb 20, 2019
Truck Year
Specifically the cost was for camping fees and eating since I had no rental car and could not go anywhere else.

Frank246

Feb 20, 2019
Truck Year
Well, GOOD NEWS!! (or not)
Finally got a call into the MoPar Warr. claim department and got an answer of sorts.

First off, the good news. They have my paperwork AND I have a claim number (which they only assign after at least 90 days from when they claim they get your paperwork)

Now the bad news. And yes I ask them to repeat it and then repeated the info back to them the third time to make sure I was hearing it correctly!!

"They are currently working claims submitted in JUNE 2022! and anticipate my claim from Aug/Nov/Dec 2022 to be reviewed in about another 6 months or so". WTF!

I was trying to decide to buy another warranty from them since my will be expiring in a few months, but this is just crazy! Seems like some kind of false marketing about reimburses. I guess it's like the US Gov ensuring your bank funds. They say they do it.............just don't say when you can get it!! LOL :mad:

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I can understand your frustration. On the other hand, I'm surprised they'll even accept a claim for your personal expenses.

Zapit1983

Mar 9, 2023
Truck Year
Has anyone had luck with FCA’s extended warranty covering a replacement engine? My engine shut off going 70MPH and flashed low oil pressure. Engine wouldn’t start again and just clicked when I turned the key. I had it towed to the dealership and they are saying my engine completely seized up.

Interesting, I too have a 2014 Ram Eco diesel with 130000 miles that seized up on the highway going 70 and had mine towed to a dealer. So far we have spent 2 weeks gathering every receipt for oil changes and filters we’ve done ourselves and everyone that has been done by dealerships. I’ve read horror stories about denials even with all the receipts. Good luck!

Kbrubaker3

Aug 10, 2021
Truck Year
Interesting, I too have a 2014 Ram Eco diesel with 130000 miles that seized up on the highway going 70 and had mine towed to a dealer. So far we have spent 2 weeks gathering every receipt for oil changes and filters we’ve done ourselves and everyone that has been done by dealerships. I’ve read horror stories about denials even with all the receipts. Good luck!
What are you gathering receipts for? A claim? If so who have you contacted for a claim? I’m being told by my dealership that it will be $17k to replace the engine. $11k for an engine and at least $6k for labor… I’m still checking on my extended warranty I bought with the truck but I doubt that will cover it. FCA is denying the claim because it is the engine and they basically only cover DEF related items.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
What are you gathering receipts for? A claim? If so who have you contacted for a claim? I’m being told by my dealership that it will be $17k to replace the engine. $11k for an engine and at least $6k for labor… I’m still checking on my extended warranty I bought with the truck but I doubt that will cover it. FCA is denying the claim because it is the engine and they basically only cover DEF related items.
Good idea to read your warranty. If it's a Mopar warranty I'd bet the engine is covered. And, the. "FCA is denying the claim because it is the engine and they basically only cover DEF related items." is absurd.

Zapit1983

Mar 9, 2023
Truck Year
My truck came with a lifetime powertrain warranty, so we have to provide all the receipts before they will even tear into the engine. They’ve already told us the engine is blown, but they have to send an investigator to verify so we need to have all our ducks in a row. They told us it would cost around $15000 for a replacement. My husband just had his 2020 Ram eco diesel engine replaced as well. Took 5 months and it was under warranty. Not looking forward to the wait.

Kbrubaker3

Aug 10, 2021
Truck Year
Good idea to read your warranty. If it's a Mopar warranty I'd bet the engine is covered. And, the. "FCA is denying the claim because it is the engine and they basically only cover DEF related items." is absurd.
You say it’s absurd but that is what they are saying. Do you suggest I go about it a different way? I’m surprised with how many engines are failing/seizing up that their isn’t a recall to prevent the engine from screwing us over. I will say I have loved my ecodiesel but I don’t plan on ever buying another.

Zapit1983

Mar 9, 2023
Truck Year
Me either! Cant wait to get it back and trade it in! Always loved it until now! 2 blown engines on eco diesels that are different years, in one family, that’s enough for me! Thought we were smart buying a fuel efficient diesel that would go forever, but boy were we wrong! And all the run around we’ve gotten from Ram customer care, will definitely move us in a new direction. And that’s a hard pill to swallow from a family that has owned only Rams for the last 30 years!

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
You say it’s absurd but that is what they are saying. Do you suggest I go about it a different way? I’m surprised with how many engines are failing/seizing up that their isn’t a recall to prevent the engine from screwing us over. I will say I have loved my ecodiesel but I don’t plan on ever buying another.
When you say FCA I assume you mean Mopar. FCA has nothing to do with extended warranties, Mopar does. If you. have a Mopar contract that statement is absurd or you have a strange contract. I'm back to read your contract.

Frank246

Feb 20, 2019
Truck Year
If you read the warranty, it covers personal travel, food, lodging, car rental, etc. up to $1000 per incident.

Stuckwithjunk

Aug 15, 2023
Truck Year

Same here 50k on mine no warranty any suggestions

autoX

Nov 6, 2022
Truck Year
In Canada it's a crook-show. So gave up early on FCA even though my 2015 had just 30K miles.
Luckily there is a great shop PDQ diesel and I shipped them a good used engine from AAA wreckers in Prince George. Also great guys. About a month and $20K CAD later it was all back together, with some sort of tune and the full delete (EGR, DEF< DPF, SCR). Added an anti-gravity Lion battery.

It's been stupendous, towing my Airstream like nothing, and getting ridonkulous fuel economy.

The problem is this engine mated to all that Bosch rats-nest of clogging filters and sooty EGR, chuffing the engine to bits.
Jettison the Bosch equipment (which is heavy too) and man it's a different GREAT truck

JTCRacing

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
In Canada it's a crook-show. So gave up early on FCA even though my 2015 had just 30K miles.
Luckily there is a great shop PDQ diesel and I shipped them a good used engine from AAA wreckers in Prince George. Also great guys. About a month and $20K CAD later it was all back together, with some sort of tune and the full delete (EGR, DEF< DPF, SCR). Added an anti-gravity Lion battery.

It's been stupendous, towing my Airstream like nothing, and getting ridonkulous fuel economy.

The problem is this engine mated to all that Bosch rats-nest of clogging filters and sooty EGR, chuffing the engine to bits.
Jettison the Bosch equipment (which is heavy too) and man it's a different GREAT truck
Would you mind sending the info for the shop that did your job? Thanks.

autoX

Nov 6, 2022
Truck Year
Garrett at PDRDiesel.com
Only issues : I was down a liter of tranny fluid, figured that out after driving it for 6 mons. Took forever to heat up at first, thought it was the T-stat. I put a new one in, but I think it just needed to be run-in/full coolant flow to heater core etc

Here's the detailed tally for my work, for the record:
Used engine was $10K CAD plus shipping, taxes and core $800 (Net $12K)
Supplier : A-Star Automotive Recyclers Ltd.
Address : 2782 Cessna Road
City : Prince George
State/Province/Country : BC, CAN
Postal Code : V2N 2H8
Phone Number : 250-963-3211
Contact Name : Marc Ouellet
Email Address : [email protected]

Used Engine - Replacement (Customer Supplied) Includes engine removal from engine bay, transfer all ancillary components to replacement engine as necessary and refit into engine bay. Top up engine fluids and bleed air from reservoirs as required. Scope engine and adjust as necessary. Road test. Technical service rate $3,969.90 *GP 5W40 CK-4 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty Engine Oil - Per Litre $99.50 GP Oil Filter $22.43 GP Engine Coolant / Antifreeze - Mopar 10yr $129.68 GP Clamp $57.45 GP Rad Cap $14.35 GP Sub $4,293.31 No Warranty - Customer Supplied Used Engine, Swapped multiple accessories, Hoses and belt, Inspected Tone ring on used engine, Ok, Performed oil change, and topped up with new coolant. Cleared all codes. Programed used injector Flow Rates. _Diesel Service Emission System Labor $529.32 *GP Labor $529.32 *GP Eco Diesel Stage 1 Tune $999.00 GP 2014-2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel - EGR & Cooler Service kit $199.00 GP 3" Race Pipe without bungs, AL Dodge RAM 1500 3.0L EcoDiesel fits 2014-2018 $309.99 GP Sub $2,566.63 Air Filter Remove and Replace components as required to access and install materials, and/or perform needed service. Retest and verify repair as required. Perform final road test where applicable. Air Filter $35.93 GP Sub $35.93 Fuel Filter Remove and Replace components as required to access and install materials, and/or perform needed service. Retest and verify repair as required. Perform final road test where applicable. Fuel Filter $85.07 GP Sub $85.07 Page 1 of 2 PDR Diesel (2012) Inc. 20630 Mufford Crescent, Langley, BC V2Y 2V9 Tel: 604 530 3092 ~ Fax: 604 530 3098 ~ email: [email protected] No returns without prior approval, all returns subject to a restocking fee. No returns on special orders, electrical or items which have been opened/used. 12/14/2022 12:35 PM Work Order #70176 Evacuate and Recharge R1234YF Air Conditioning System Connect AC equipment, evacuate system of contaminates, verify system pressures, refrigerant levels and cooling vent temperature. Charge AC system, install proper refrigerant and oil capacity. Leak test AC system. Refrigerant leak detection dye may be added to system. Labor $185.26 *GP R1234YF Refrigerant (per oz) $207.00 GP Sub $392.26 Starter Motor Remove and Replace components as required to access and install materials, and/or perform needed service. Retest and verify repair as required. Perform final road test where applicable. Labor $172.03 *GP Starter Motor $317.11 GP Sub $489.14 Truck would not start. Diagnosed and Replaced starter. Total Parts $2,476.51 Total Labor $5,465.23 Total Before Taxes & Miscellaneous Charges $7,941.74 (*) Shop Supplies $141.00 GP (G) Canadian Goods and Services Tax (GST) 5 % $404.14 (P) BC Provincial Sales Tax (PST) 7 % $565.79 Grand Total $9,052.67 CAD