• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GDE Tune After 2,000 miles

CaptainMal

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
Finally got a chance to tow a little with my GDE installed. Kind of hate to call it a "tune" but it probably does a lot without being noticeable. I keep thinking a "tune" should make it some kind of 'fire-breathing' dragster.

My impressions about fuel mileage changes is they are minimal. Mostly I got about about 24 mpg overall. Now I am about 25 mpg overall UNLOADED and not towing. You will see higher mileage if you keep the speeds under 70 mpg. Unloaded I think the GDE is good for about an 8% fuel mileage increase.

I just towed for 1,000 miles but not heavy. Smaller open trailer with just a quad and tools on it. Mostly on the interstate, I kept my speeds down a bit to try and get maybe get better-than-normal fuel mileage.

These were my speeds over that time and I got 22.5 mpg towing. Before the GDE I got about the same. Little to no change in towing fuel mileage.

I like the change in cruise control. Seems it will slow down a bit more on hills and speed up a bit more downhill. It's almost like an educated foot for better fuel mileage. What I also liked was what I think is a more gentle downshift without the abrupt change being so noticeable.

Also saw a lowered transmission temperature. Mine mostly runs real hot. This kind of tow would show me temperatures in the 210 to 220 *'F range at 75 mph. Although a bit lower in ambient temperature than normal , the transmission temperature is much lower than normal. I like that.

Have never noticed a change in power. My truck always ran well. It still does. You will not end up with a dragster.

There has been one regeneration during the 2,000 mile GDE usage. Also hope the EGR system is shut off. That's not something I can see or want to try to see.

Is it worth the $800 and installation issues? Those two things might be the only negatives.

Last edited:

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Thanks for the write up Cap. Nice to read a review based on observations and not an advertisement.

CaptainMal

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
Good consideration. Quite often advertising hype or maybe a highly-supportive sponsor dictates the review. I did the review because, to me, $800 is a lot of money and I expected some changes for the positive. Not sure there were many and none were dramatic. Then, on reflection, that just might be a good thing as the engine is not stressed and does seem to run at least as well as before or better.

Said before and will say again now, the EGR shut-off is a big deal to me. Crazy that's not something I can see and quantify unless I tore it apart, cleaned things up and then looked thousands of miles later.

That's not going to happen by me.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
aren't all personal reviews based on observations?
Ha. Maybe I should've clarified- unbiased and even keel observations. Caught up neither by the love nor hatred of a particular product.

John

Nov 13, 2015
still sounds like a personal review to me "unbiased and even keel observations"

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Ok[emoji106]

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
still sounds like a personal review to me "unbiased and even keel observations"

That's what reviews are. As a potential customer, you have to read them all and then make your decision. I don't know of many customers that read one review and make a purchase. I sure don't..

Last edited:

John

Nov 13, 2015
I like the reviews Ive seen so far and will get the tune when I have a extra 750.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Well next time that Tom-Tom says head east, just go really really Far East!

NC-RAM

Nov 29, 2015
Truck Year
That's what reviews are. As a potential customer, you have to read them all and then make your decision. I don't know of many customers that read one review and make a purchase. I sure don't..
Me too. Looking at this tune as well.

NC-RAM

Nov 29, 2015
Truck Year
Did you notice with the GDE , any pick up in the throttled delay? Some say it goes away with this tune?
Did you gain any HP'?

CaptainMal

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
Never had a throttle delay. Might be because I'm too stupid to notice one. Might be that my very early, near first, model did not have any delay from the start.

After thousands of miles with GDE my overall normal operation is right at 27 mpg if I do not tow.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Take a look at your oil, if it's not pitch black after a thousand miles on fresh oil your egr is off; congratulations. 800$ probably well spent