• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GED tune failures??

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
anyone have a guestimate as to when oil coolers started to fail (after how many miles?), just so we can keep an eye...
I removed my oil cooler/heater shortly after 100K miles, extended warranty, for an external filter cooler. No issues just wanted more consistent oil temps. I have eliminated the potential for stock cooler failure but have still not achieved cooler oil temps.

ProxBarry

Nov 15, 2018
Truck Year
If you compare the Bluetec crank, rods and main bearing width to the Eco diesel you will find the 2mm narrower bearing surface is probably the culprit with bottom end failures. FCA needs to redesign and lengthen the block to accommodate a wider bearing design.
I am sure the lower grade motor oils being used by some does not help either.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
welcome 2 the group their recomened motor oil is far from low grade

ProxBarry

Nov 15, 2018
Truck Year
I was not referring to the factory recommended oil.

Also 10k miles is too long for oil change when you have such a small oil filter. I change at 7k and use Amsoil

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I have 132k on mine. I’m unsure if the previous owner tuned with gde but according to alfaobd programming my throttle response is all the way up, and I regen roughly every 120-130 miles. I drive 20 miles one way to work, 7 of that tends to be stop and go. I bought it with 113k and haven’t done anything but a glowplug to the motor. As near as I can tell gde does not seem to be the root of any failures. I spoke wirh a GDE employee and this was his response to my egr and dpf delete question:

“If you want the dpf and DEF turned off (off-road option), then the exhaust must be changed. Most folks get the HOT tune and do not touch any hardware on the vehicle. It just runs cleaner, more fuel efficient, keeps engine oil cleaner and a soot free intake.

Thanks for your interest.”

I am interested tofind out if my motor has been tuned. I believe it has been but Ihave no clue.

John

Nov 13, 2015
I have 132k on mine. I’m unsure if the previous owner tuned with gde but according to alfaobd programming my throttle response is all the way up, and I regen roughly every 120-130 miles. I drive 20 miles one way to work, 7 of that tends to be stop and go. I bought it with 113k and haven’t done anything but a glowplug to the motor. As near as I can tell gde does not seem to be the root of any failures. I spoke wirh a GDE employee and this was his response to my egr and dpf delete question:

“If you want the dpf and DEF turned off (off-road option), then the exhaust must be changed. Most folks get the HOT tune and do not touch any hardware on the vehicle. It just runs cleaner, more fuel efficient, keeps engine oil cleaner and a soot free intake.

Thanks for your interest.”

I am interested tofind out if my motor has been tuned. I believe it has been but Ihave no clue.
If you can set the cruise control at 20MPH you likely have the GDE tune, Also regens will be approx. 700-900 miles with GDE. GDE had an option to turn off DEF and it never required removing any exhaust or components. The DPF must be removed with the off road tune. I hope this helps.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
If you can set the cruise control at 20MPH you likely have the GDE tune, Also regens will be approx. 700-900 miles with GDE. GDE had an option to turn off DEF and it never required removing any exhaust or components. The DPF must be removed with the off road tune. I hope this helps.
AGREED!! Easy way to check is the cruise control test... There's no way you have GDE if you are regening every 100 miles.. That sounds like stock or maybe a different tune??

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks for that bit of knowledge! I will be trying that today. I have been very anxious to pay for it not knowing if I had it already or not.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
AGREED!! Easy way to check is the cruise control test... There's no way you have GDE if you are regening every 100 miles.. That sounds like stock or maybe a different tune??
I bought the truck used so there’s no telling who did what to it. It was bought right out of warranty so I would assume it’s stock but driving it I can’t tell. I came from a 2001 ram 1500 with the 5.9 gas boat anchor so I am not familiar with turbo lag and all the technical mumbo jumbo but a tune has been ln my head since before i signed papers on it just to have more options