• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hello everyone!

Theigh

Aug 7, 2019
Truck Year
My name is Tyrone, I am a licensed vehicle technician (Interprovincial Red Seal) with 30 years experience. I am also a NFPA certified fire investigator. I recently have been investigating a fire in a 2016 Ram 1500. While I am familiar with the mainstream Diesel engines, I have not worked or had any previous dealing with this engine. The owner reported seeing small amounts of smoke coming from the vents, but no fire under the hood. His first observation was a glow around the driver's footwell. The fuel system was replaced, due to poor diesel, and the owner had reported smelling smoke for a while. I have been reading the forums to see if my observations and photos potentially lead me to a more definitive cause.

Last edited:

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
Tyrone, keep us posted with your findings. There have been several fires reported, here's just a few... Is it an EGR stuck open, overheating the system? Is it a battery wire rubbing up against metal? It would be nice to know the cause so we can be proactive where possible and prevent it from happening if we know what to look for.

Theigh

Aug 7, 2019
Truck Year
Tyrone, keep us posted with your findings. There have been several fires reported, here's just a few... Is it an EGR stuck open, overheating the system? Is it a battery wire rubbing up against metal? It would be nice to know the cause so we can be proactive where possible and prevent it from happening if we know what to look for.

Thank you so much for your reply and the links. I will definitely do everything I can to provide some answers

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Once they get started the foam that ram puts on the top of the valve covers for sound deading lights up then the truck goes up in smoke

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
agree with carlhenry, I removed my form and engine cover as a preventative measure. Question still is, what is causing the ignition of the fire in the first place... The foam only makes the fire worse... but it would be good to know what is causing so many fires.