• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How many miles on your ecodiesel and have you had any problems?

OneK464

Jan 29, 2020
Truck Year
Just traded my 03 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins with 235000 miles as was getting to tall to climb in anymore. Sure enjoyed the hummin Cummins though. Bought a 2015, 1500 Laramie eco diesel With 38500 miles on it. it has the ram box but don’t haul any thing but groceries and a car is too hard to put on and take off so think we’re are going to get along. Lots of bells and whistles that I don’t understand yet and the owner’s manual is worthless. That is why I joined your forum. I think I saw on here how to prog the passenger seat warmer on with remote start. My side I don’t really need it but need to get the misses warmed as quick as possible, if you know hat I mean Thanks for ny help. RS

KMS

Feb 8, 2020
Truck Year
2014 with 58,867; I have only run into 2 problems with my truck. 1) was when I drove across country, VA to WA, in Ohio I had to get a whole new DEF tank which cost I think about $3500 for everything. That was at about 40,000 miles. 2) Friday morning I went to start my truck and nothing! The doors wouldn’t even unlock. Took out the battery, went to auto zone and the battery is good. So now I ordered the 3 battery distributor fuses and I’m waiting for those to get mailed to me. Will let you know how it goes when it’s all finished.
Does anyone know where I can find and buy a good repair manual for the 1500 eco diesel 2014? I read eBay but it was hit or miss of getting a decent one.

boosti

Feb 17, 2020
Truck Year
2015 Big Horn Ecodiesel 93,000 miles original owner, currently sitting at the dealer since December 20th 2019 for the EGR cooler. Good thing for the extended bumper to bumper 100,000 warranty because of two blown turbos, two starters, Electrical issues with the Navigation, interior lights and USB. The truck sucks worse since having the AEM software update. I haven’t submitted my paperwork for the full $3,075 settlement yet. I might get motivated now to go for a buyback as it’s a condition of the class action lawsuit if you have a vehicle sit for over 30 days.

Last edited:

Co Ro

Mar 23, 2019
Truck Year
2017 (manufactured 12/2017) 4x4, crew, 3.55 diff, Laramie with 66,300 miles. All stock as I live in CommieFornia. Oil changed every 8k, I've cleaned carbon of those sensors and diffuser that I can easily get to. No major problems at all, only minor ones like remote start went out, bearing on drive shaft, bracket on electric seat broke, 2 door hinges popped off, all stuff taken care of by the dealer in a day or so. I can't believe the amount of problems so many have had on this and other forums. My biggest complaint is the 3 mpg decrease after the flash/update. The slow response time is annoying but its easy to adapt your driving habits to offset the lag. I can't believe how expensive, and out of stock, major components (DEF, EGR, turbo, long block) are to replace. Heck, it seems you need to drop the trans or lift the body off the frame to do any major work on these EDs. Love the truck, but the idea of getting out of warranty in 18 months and potentially facing repairs that could easily be $7k-$15k has me considering gas.

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
If you plan to keep it an investment in a tune & when or before disappearing coolant happens a simple inexpensive EGR cooler delete is money well spent.

Co Ro

Mar 23, 2019
Truck Year
If you plan to keep it an investment in a tune & when or before disappearing coolant happens a simple inexpensive EGR cooler delete is money well spent.
Thanks for the advice. I’m not the best at navigating a forum; can you point me to a useful thread regarding an EGR delete? Does deleting the EGR ruin it? I’m thinking I should wait to get the redesigned one from the recall, unless deleting them ruins the EGR anyways. With GDE shut down seems like SFT is filling that void, do you agree?

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
A tune electronically closes the EGR valves so that your engine is not reinvesting it’s unburnt diesel soot & asphaltene hard particles. It’s destructive & proven unnecessary to meet EPA emissions requirements but EPA mandates it anyway.

Additionally EGR hot exhaust pipe is cooled by an EGR cooler even when EGR valves to the motor are closed. The coolers eventually leak internally mostly sending coolant out your tailpipes so watch your coolant degas tank if / when it starts to get low and you have to add coolant more than once you’re cooler is starting to leak. If leaking just keep coolant to the seam or better until you get the cooler deleted. Coolant only goes so low in the degas bottle even though it will continue to drop in the motor so don’t let it get low.

Below are two links one for basic tune you don’t need the full delete. The other for an EGR cooler delete kit.

Sorry can’t find the EGR cooler delete kit link

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
EGR is required to Meet Near 0 PPM NOx.

The only NONE EGR engines to meet CAA laws AND Near 0 PPM NOx are engine with entirely new Technology, SCR with new precsious
metals and New divisional exhaust, with elaborate DEF system.

The 3.0 is in quagmire of Problems, If the $Millions$ that OEMs spend on tuning cannot eliminate the EGR 3.0VM, its extremely unlikely that the afertmarket will overcome the requirements without EGR on Production engines that have COC with EGR. C'mon if Fiat could tune out the EGR they would, and Meet CAA Laws of Near 0 PPM NOx.

I hate external EGR's, and Yes any 3.0 Owner that plans on Long term ownership needs to upgrade to NONE functional components or run the risk of $1000s in future repairs.

The EPA fined and served two more aftermarket companies this week, For our Neighbors shipping Illegal products believing their safe and protected is wishful thinking and most likely at some point will serve Prison time in America for shipping Contraband. Shipping Contraband is generally link to seizure by the GOV and prison time, if Customs can proof its smuggling, that's really going to add up to more prosecutions.

So Buy now......if planning on upgrades.

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
Yeah so to summarize & simplify. Buy tune now and EGR cooler delete if & when your coming EGR cooler starts to leak.

Veefer99

Feb 7, 2019
Truck Year
3 years and 53000mi on this 2016 ED. leaking water pump replaced 8mnths ago and two weeks ago replaced leaking EGR cooler under extended warranty- coolant level was going down all the time with no external leak. Everything is fine now. 5 or 6 times engine light came on but never came back after clearing the code with OBD reader. At 75000 "Service throttle control " message came on , truck went into default mode and was very slow to accelerate like it was stuck in a 6th gear.....cleaned up dirty MAP sensor and cleared the message and it never came back and driving fine. So can't realy complain. At 100000km I still plan on doing a full EGR delete and stop that nonsense of getting exhaust gas back into intake and all possible problems associated with that.
Just to follow up.....
March 2020 97500km.
Broken exhaust studs by DPF. Not under warranty, drilled out myself . Found 3 ceramic squares 1x1" inside the pipe, apparently from filter above. Code P020EE keeps coming back.

Dealer replaced the whole DPF unit under warranty few days ago. I will have to replace those gasket steel nuts with stainless ones.
Also installed new software update for $120 and all engine lag thing is gone.
Engine light came back the next day P020EE and went back for def injector cleaning from carbon build up. Should be good now. We shall see.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
When You replace DPF it the PCM needs reset and calibrated , The Dealer is already getting Paid to this,(WITECH) New software update would take minutes 5-15 minutes (To other Modules) in many cases. Plus I think its covered in AEM.

Veefer99

Feb 7, 2019
Truck Year
When You replace DPF it the PCM needs reset and calibrated , The Dealer is already getting Paid to this,(WITECH) New software update would take minutes 5-15 minutes (To other Modules) in many cases. Plus I think its covered in AEM.
Previous shitty upgrade was done under recall in September. This one apparently was not free. It should have been since it corrected the one that was not only shitty but also dangerous to drive.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Veefer99, Submit for reimbursement. I see why your PO'ed.

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
I wanted to take a quick poll and ask how many miles do you have and if you have any problems?

I have 15000 miles but no problems. I'm happy with my ecodiesel so far!!
I have a 2016, that I bought new. So far I have 45K miles on the truck with zero problems. I run Amsoil 5w40 diesel engine oil. I was BLESSED enough to get a GDE tune before the BIG BAD EPA shut them down. I plan to drive the truck until it dies.

Veefer99

Feb 7, 2019
Truck Year
Veefer99, Submit for reimbursement. I see why your PO'ed.
So guess what? Yesterday I got recall notice from FCA about new pcm/ emission software update to take care of previous problems with hesitation during acceleration.
I bet that's the one that dealer has installed for a fee. Now I wonder if they will admit it. Personally I think they will cover it up....
Truck is back at the dealership today for replacement of SRC and sensors under warranty to take care of check engine light.
Can't wait to hear their story about software update.