• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How many miles on your ecodiesel and have you had any problems?

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
I got an inexpensive simple 2 button Bosch 1000 code reader. Most of the check engine lights are so trivial you can deal with them on your own time some simply need cleared and you wonder if they are just to run you to the dealership for a frisking.

DunLucky

Jul 18, 2018
Truck Year
2017 Lariat 23,576 miles so far. At 6,236 miles Check engine light and Service Electronic Throttle Control System which put the truck into limp mode. Had to drive it home with no turbo about 100 miles. Supposedly software update fixed it! Then again at 17,197 check engine and ETC again! Can't locate my service ticket so not sure what they did this time. Then at 20,319 service engine light and limp mode with service ETC again only this time thought the truck was on fire! Smelled like burning plastic but no smoke or flames. This time the EGR Cooler leaking and valve stuck taking out the Intake manifold(lots of BB sized holes melted through it). I haven't read all the comments in this thread, not sure if anyone else has had this issue. The truck sat at the dealer for a month waiting on the EGR cooler! No parts!
I like the truck and the mileage but once the warranty is up it will more than likely be traded off. Will be watching the 2020 Ecodiesel reviews and issues to see if I will go this route or switch back to a gaser :unsure: or cummins.
Had to edit, forgot to mention, the throttle lag. Never ever chance pulling out in traffic in a tight spot! As sure as I do, the darn thing will leave me hanging, like it stalls out and almost stops! It doesn't do this consistently but I can't trust it. It doesn't matter if the engine is hot or cold. I'm told they are working on this throttle lag or whatever it is! But it will sure get your attention!

Last edited:

MARK T

Nov 27, 2019
Truck Year
2016 RAN FINE TO 107000 MILES . EGR LEAK CAUSED FIRE IN THE INTAKE . 6 INJECTORS AND A NEW INTAKE $3,700. HAD FLASH DONE AND IN 3,000 MILES MOTOR LOCKED UP FROM TO MUCH FUEL FROM THE INJECTORS AND BYPASSED THE RINGS TO THE CRANK CASE. LOOKS LIKE FCA WILL PUT IN A NEW MOTOR I HOPE.

-STIGLITZ-

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
2017 with 83,000 miles. Fully deleted at 80,000. Failed EGR Cooler, a Rad Cap, and $120 worth of coolant while I was in “delete limbo”. Despite the trouble, I love my truck.

Vanhaar1

Dec 18, 2019
Truck Year
50,000 needs new motor been sitting at dealership for 5 weeks - no parts till February worst best looking truck that I ever bought. Be very careful if you’re buying a Ram. I’m upside down , can’t trade it in, as IT DOESNT HAVE A MOTOR. I would however ; recommend being a RAM certified mechanic....you will always have job security. Sorry to say ....but my ass still hurts from the daily FCA non consensual raping.

RigPig

Dec 20, 2019
Truck Year
2015 Bought at 60K, now at 83K, first check engine light, P24AE, hopefully the dealer takes care of it while I'm in for the AEM update......🤞

Geoling

Dec 18, 2019
Truck Year
2014, bought in '15 w/35k miles. Can't remember exactly when the trouble started, it was slow at first, coolant disappearing. Eventually replaced the water pump at over $700! Then it went into limp mode at I think ~130k with a multiple nasty grams on the dash and bells ringing, then it went to the shop. 2 months later it was running good but I have never been able to keep coolant in it. I suspect I've had a blown head gasket since before the limp mode kicked in.

At 165k now and looking for a new engine. Can't afford enough coolant to drive it.

-STIGLITZ-

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
2014, bought in '15 w/35k miles. Can't remember exactly when the trouble started, it was slow at first, coolant disappearing. Eventually replaced the water pump at over $700! Then it went into limp mode at I think ~130k with a multiple nasty grams on the dash and bells ringing, then it went to the shop. 2 months later it was running good but I have never been able to keep coolant in it. I suspect I've had a blown head gasket since before the limp mode kicked in.

At 165k now and looking for a new engine. Can't afford enough coolant to drive it.

More than likely, it’s not a head gasket. The EGR Cooler on the Eco has a high rate of failure. Look up FCA recall VB1. This is the reason I deleted...haven’t looked back

Geoling

Dec 18, 2019
Truck Year
More than likely, it’s not a head gasket. The EGR Cooler on the Eco has a high rate of failure. Look up FCA recall VB1. This is the reason I deleted...haven’t looked back
Not the EGR cooler Stiglitz, mine's neutered too. That's the "shop" it went into at 130k. After a recent radiator replacement (hole in it) it's now pushing coolant out of the overflow.

-STIGLITZ-

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
Not the EGR cooler Stiglitz, mine's neutered too. That's the "shop" it went into at 130k. After a recent radiator replacement (hole in it) it's now pushing coolant out of the overflow.
Gat damn...well than, I’m sorry brother...blown head gasket it is. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Eco but...these trucks are plagued with problems.

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
FWIW My experience with head gasket was it started pushing coolant out the exhaust (white smoke) not back pressuring the system to come out the degas tank. I don’t claim to have a handle on this just sharing my experience. Dealership (for WiTech) Certified diesel mechanic trained on the VM Motori is what you need or at least would be your best bet. If there is any diesel mechanics on this forum that can kick in and share any thoughts please do.

IF it is a head gasket and you don’t want to tear the heads off and possibly get into repairs that are not cost effective and come with little to no warranty on a 165k motor.

You can do a new motor like I did. For me the 24 month unlimited mileage warranty had a lot of value. The complete engine came with new read expensive fuel pump and new turbo. My 24 months is up in a few days and I put on 260,000 miles taking Airstreams from the Mfgr to dealerships around the country. But if you don’t put on crazy miles don’t want to put that much investment in your truck you can also swap in a used engine.

Another option is a used engine out of a wreck.

I will say Don’t use liquid glycol it won’t work. As a temporary fix until you can secure another motor again IF it is a head gasket you can look into or try.

If you catch it early and do a good job with the fix this can hold a very long time. If your gasket or other leak is larger in nature and you have restricted passages and back pressure it still won’t hold. But if you don’t plan to ever rebuild repair this engine then small investment in the Titan sealant can make sense since the back up or plan is expensive new or used engine swap anyway.

Geoling

Dec 18, 2019
Truck Year
Vern, it looks like I'm going with and engine. Only one I can find is through a Ram dealer, complete engine, no long blocks available. Computer says everything is discontinued except the complete. This is going to bite pretty hard but with a 5 year old truck that's been otherwise very well cared for what else is there to do? Jasper does not re-man these. That Mopargiantwarehouse place is a joke. Total idiots. Dealer new complete is going to run me over $8k.

This truck has beat me up for over two years. I can't believe I still like it! 🤬 Best running, pulling and most comfortable light duty I've ever had!

Fritzimax

Jan 18, 2020
Truck Year
2015 with 96000, EGR cooler replaced, just had a no start issue needed a new tone ring on the crankshaft and a new crank sensor. Now waiting on the latest EGR cooler update. Performance and fuel economy issues after software update.:cry:

Adamx27

Nov 29, 2019
Truck Year
116,802 miles

2014 Ram EcoDiesel Original Owner

parts to date: intake manifold and def tank thankfully both covered under emissions warranty.

fluids, and filters

Update: purchased a 31’ camper. 8100lbs..Towed that bad boy like a dream. 3,100 miles to Key West and back to VA. No problems. Average MPG was 13.9..

There are a lot of haters of the EcoDiesels, but remember it is still a Diesel Engine. These are not meant for 4 mile grocery runs. You are killing your engines by short running them. Run them! I mean Run them! Get on the interstate and get on them. Tow something.. Put in under strain. Your truck will run better.

Love my EcoDiesel!

Gerry.U

Jan 22, 2020
Truck Year
2015 85k no problems, have yet to do recall. Will wait towards end, hoping bugs are fixed by then. I love my truck

pcatoe

Nov 28, 2019
Truck Year
2015 Laramie Long Horn 106k zero issues, will be fully deleted by the end of the month to keep it that way!!!