• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HS Oil Cooler Kit

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
HS released new oil cooler for the 14'-15' EcoDiesels

Info (from the website)
Link: http://hs-motorsports.com/misc-products/14-15-ram-1500-ecodiesel-oil-cooler-kit.html
Price: $949.00

This kit will replace the factory oil cooler with a high quality external unit to alleviate the issues associated with excessive oil temperatures as well as eliminate the possibility of engine oil/coolant cross-contamination. The factory oil cooler uses the main engine cooling system to regulate oil temperatures. The problem with this is that if the integrity of the factory cooler is compromised in any way, it can result in cross-contamination of the engine oil/coolant systems and in turn cause SERIOUS issues if not addressed immediately.

Take one look at our kit components and you'll understand why this is the only REAL oil cooler option available for the 3.0L Ram EcoDiesel. The oil cooler included with our kit was developed with help from the professionals at Fluidyne and was designed specifically for this application. The aluminum core is 3" thick (yes, 3") to provide maximum cooling efficiency without being a flow restriction or causing unwanted pressure-drop. Our patent pending Oil Cooler Adapter plate in combination with black fittings and nylon braided hose transfer the engine oil to the cooler in a sleek and simple fashion to provide the easiest and cleanest installation possible.

In stock form, oil temperatures can reach almost 250 degrees just while cruising on the freeway! With this kit installed, you can expect to see a 15-20 degree drop in overall oil temperatures. While fit and function were our main focuses during the development of this kit, it's not to say that the kit doesn't look awesome as well. No fancy colors here, just raw high quality parts that work as great as they look!

No custom tuning required, will work on a completely stock truck (active grille modification required).

hsOilCooler.jpg

CaptainMal

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
Sure looks neat. Thousand dollars and my meager mechanical ability means it won't happen for me. Hope someone gets one and posts the installation.

kd1yt

Nov 16, 2015
Truck Year
Glad to have options, so I am glad that things like this are coming to the market. Myself, living in a cold climate, I do like the aspect of the OE cooler that warms the oil when the engine is in warmup mode.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
The
Glad to have options, so I am glad that things like this are coming to the market. Myself, living in a cold climate, I do like the aspect of the OE cooler that warms the oil when the engine is in warmup mode.
The system that dj built is thermostatically controlled so it only opens at 180° and still runs at only 10% open before that to promote flow but still helps warm the oil to correct temp

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
Sure looks neat. Thousand dollars and my meager mechanical ability means it won't happen for me. Hope someone gets one and posts the installation.

The install really isnt too bad for the D@J kit but the H&S kit is easier as theres no need to mount the thermostat and the oil filter housing also no wiring. But I think both kits work well I also like the extra oil filter since I can run a full flow Amsoil filter.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I do agree the install would be much easier with the hs kit but it's just a straight stacked plate air cooler, also no fan?

The thermostatic valve on the dj kit is what makes it the most properly functioning cooler available. Not to mention the available hd upgrade.

So fan, thermostatic valve, and an auxiliary oil filter? At a lower price. I know my choice even if it's... "great to have options"

The one upgrade that the hs kit does have is braided lines. Well nylon braided.

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
Yeah ive been running the D&J hd kit for about 2k its a great kit. Im thinking of adding another fan and a second hd cooler but I tow almost every weekend. On long grades with egts over 1300 the oil still warms up, I've seen a high of 267 degrees F. Ive never ran the H&S kit so I cant speak on how it performs.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
H&S Motorsports parts quality and functionality is usually second to none, but they are very proud of their stuff, they have to make up for those profits lost to tuner sales in the states somehow

Alan Casey

Jul 6, 2016
Truck Year
I purchased the H&S oil cooler kit about a month ago. While pulling my 30' travel trailer I had to keep a close eye on the oil temp. Actually, I had to keep one eye on the road and the other on the oil temp! I looked at the D&J kit but I didn't like the fans, the thermostat or the looks of the cooler. I wanted less points of failure. I ordered the H&S kit, took it to my dealer and asked them if it would void my 100k warranty. They said it would not and I asked them to install it so they would know it was done correctly. I had it installed on a Monday with a trip planned on Friday. I had no issues with the cooler until Thursday evening when one of the hoses began leaking in two places. The H&S cooler comes with Gates hoses rated at 300 psi. They should not have had any issue. Well with my trip coming up I needed it fixed right then. I contacted a local high pressure hose company and they made some very nice hoses for me (rated at 3000 psi). The dealer installed the new hoses for me (at no charge) and that solved the leaking problem. I headed out on my trip Saturday morning towing my 30' RV and was disappointed to find my oil temps still running high, in fact seemed worse than before installing the cooler. The temp went as high as 272 and the gauges turned red. I stopped at a rest stop and evaluated the grille that is used on the Big Horn edition. The air flow is highly obstructed by this grille especially to the oil cooler. I took the grille off and put it in the back seat for the remainder of my 400 mile trip and found a huge improvement. I was able to drive 70mph up and down hills and stay within 240-258 degrees. This is during 98 degree weather and lots of inclines. When I reached my destination I looked at grille options and found the Laramie Limited which I think looks great and has much better air flow. I picked it up at a local dealer for the return trip. I experienced the same oil temps with this grille on my return trip as I did with NO grille. Anyone considering the oil cooler should first look at the grille to be sure you have adequate air flow. My cost for the oil cooler was $950.00 + $300.00 install, +$280 for kick ass replacement hoses and +$650 for the grille. I did solve my oil temperature problem though and I would not have accomplished that without the cooler and the grille replacement.

As for the factory water cooled oil cooler, I believe it was more intended to warm the oil to improve emissions than it was to actually cool the oil.

Now for winter time... It will be necessary to restrict some air flow because it will take forever to warm up! Geno's garage has a nice grille cover and it seems a block heater is included on all Ecodiesel engines, you just need to buy the power cord.

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/ram1500-ecodiesel-winter-grille-cover-82213959/winter
https://www.genosgarage.com/product/eco-diesel-block-heater-cable/winter

Attachments

• HS Cooler Installed.JPG
    HS Cooler Installed.JPG
    288.4 KB · Views: 57
  • old grille with obstructed air flow.JPG
    old grille with obstructed air flow.JPG
    434.9 KB · Views: 59
  • new grille with great air flow.JPG
    new grille with great air flow.JPG
    298.4 KB · Views: 59

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
So you purchased the h&s cooler kit as a simpler alternative with less points of failure, but you had no success with the simplicity of the system and in turn had more failures. Not cooling sufficiently because of limited air flow and no forced air or hd option. Failed lines, and now you're worried about winter warm up times because the hs kit is not thermostatically controlled and now your oil won't warm up.

So you've put an additional $1000 into the $1000 h&s system to make it actually functional all to have the aesthetics of not having a fan on top of the cooler all of which remains bolted behind your grill.

I understand airflow issues of some of the grills, and the risk of the factory cooler but what would your oil temps have been if you'd pulled your grill off with the factory cooler? Your coolant temps could be nearly 30 degrees cooler and near the same for your oil.

Sounds to me like air flow restriction on some style grills is near as much of a problem for restricting oil cooling capabilities as anything else.

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
Switching grills on mine ( laramie too wire mesh I cant imagine a grill could flow better) lowered my oil temps by 8 degrees. But im running the D&J hd oil cooler kit.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
I'm just amazed someone tows a 30' RV with a half ton

JSchneib

Oct 20, 2015
Truck Year
Thanks for the info Alan. I am seeing high coolant temps but oil temps are okay. I have been thinking airflow through the grill is poor so I think I might make that change first. What were you seeing for coolant temp at those oil temps?

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
Thanks for the info Alan. I am seeing high coolant temps but oil temps are okay. I have been thinking airflow through the grill is poor so I think I might make that change first. What were you seeing for coolant temp at those oil temps?

If your seeing coolant temps higher than oil temps you have a big issue. Its probably a bad egr cooler or a stuck closed thermostat. Either way it needs addressed now.

JSchneib

Oct 20, 2015
Truck Year
If your seeing coolant temps higher than oil temps you have a big issue. Its probably a bad egr cooler or a stuck closed thermostat. Either way it needs addressed now.

Sorry, left out a bit of info. This is only when towing a heavy load up a long, steep hill like Wolf Creek Pass.

JSchneib

Oct 20, 2015
Truck Year
I will have to verify that I am remembering the temps correctly. Going to do another long uphill pull in a couple weeks. Dealer confirmed that the thermostat does not begin opening until 208f. Pretty high from what I am used to (180-190f). I believe this is an emissions strategy. Can't find a spec on designed operating temp range.