• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

It happened, my 2018 ecodiesel engine blown up

Ecodiesel18

Aug 11, 2023
Truck Year
My 2018 just suffered the cat eng fail at 35k. Wondering, shouldn't the on board computer track oil changes? I've kept them all up but at a few different places. So far no one has asked. The dealer is working on an estimate but spitballed 20k. It sounds like they might not dig too far into root cause, but suggests lower main bearing. Promising early interactions with Stellantis, but with uaw strike and comments above its clear there's no quick fix.

I worry about reliability of a replacement engine. Wondering if anyone has traded in with truck still in shop. I also see the hemi is going away next year. WTH?

Thanks
Andrew
The replacement engines also bad. as above allthe crankshafts are bad (metal or forged process). After 2 weeks after 5 months of waiting the replacement (2nd) engine failed. then I believe the 3rd possibly failed in the shop but not being clear with me. and now wait for weeks for the 3rd or 4th or something like that. To me the only solution to keep this is when Stelanits aknowledges these are all bad and engineer the Jeeps to fit the ecodiesel 3rd (last) generation that fixed the crankshaft issues and redesigned the engine for more reliability. But for now just keep waiting again. At least I have a loaner.

spaside52

Sep 29, 2023
Truck Year
Stellantis wouldn't cover cuz i was about 4 months past warrantee, even at 35 k miles. The dealer didn't have the record of the extended warrantee that gave me another year. These folks balked, had the dealer do a complete teardown, then finally approved the new engine. At first it was coming from Canada, then from 'overseas.' It finally arrived and was replaced last week. The invoice had the engine at $11.5k with a 1000 core credit. With labor total was $13.5. Apparently some sort of financial trickery. Engine # 5158048-AI. I was told it has 5 yrs and 100,000 miles that I haven't confirmed. Still two open recalls. Good luck all.

RandyZinck

Dec 2, 2023
Truck Year
new here.came to find any information on what to do.....seems I am not alone. 2019 Ram classic. Motor just blew at 128K. I kept my truck maintained to the highest degree, by myself. I kept the truck perfect. Rod through the block. It just started vibrating. By the time I had any idea there was a problem, the low oil light came on, started knocking then a quick Bang and she blew the rod right through the block. Had it towed to the dealership inj Parksville Canada where I live. They acted like they had never heard of the ecodiesel problem(lies) and then charged me $100 to tell me the motor was blown, even though I am very mechanical, I was the one who told them it was blown on the phone before I had it towed there. Now it is sitting in my yard. Went through the whole claim system, they said I was well over my warranty(28k) and they had no recalls for this issue, and that if I get it fixed and then something comes out later regarding them recalling this issue, that they would cut me a cheque. The estimate was for $28,000. Yes. $28 thousand. But there isn't any. He said could be 2 years. I asked if they were making any replacements and he said not at this time. I am going to go to the news to get this story out. I have seen 2 Hyundai issues for battery replacements in excess of $25-50k to fix, dealerships told the customers they were on the hook for it.Once it went onto the global tv air, the dealerships took cae of the customers. Lets see if ram wants to deal with the media. I don't know what else to do.I owe $35k on this truck. I bought it to last.I am a 35 year loyal Ram/Dodge owner. My 2005 Ram 3500 with Cummins got 750k before I sold it, still running with over 1 million kms....my 2005 mega cab with hemi got 450k...my 2019 ram classic 128k and now sits in my yard forever... An it means nothing to them So I just bought a Ford to replace it....this needs to get out. Any ideas please let me know

hondas are blowing up too

Last edited:

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
If anyone wants to sell their truck with a blown engine, let me know.

autoX

Nov 6, 2022
Truck Year
new here.came to find any information on what to do.....seems I am not alone. 2019 Ram classic. Motor just blew at 128K. I kept my truck maintained to the highest degree, by myself. I kept the truck perfect. Rod through the block. It just started vibrating. By the time I had any idea there was a problem, the low oil light came on, started knocking then a quick Bang and she blew the rod right through the block. Had it towed to the dealership inj Parksville Canada where I live. They acted like they had never heard of the ecodiesel problem(lies) and then charged me $100 to tell me the motor was blown, even though I am very mechanical, I was the one who told them it was blown on the phone before I had it towed there. Now it is sitting in my yard. Went through the whole claim system, they said I was well over my warranty(28k) and they had no recalls for this issue, and that if I get it fixed and then something comes out later regarding them recalling this issue, that they would cut me a cheque. The estimate was for $28,000. Yes. $28 thousand. But there isn't any. He said could be 2 years. I asked if they were making any replacements and he said not at this time. I am going to go to the news to get this story out. I have seen 2 Hyundai issues for battery replacements in excess of $25-50k to fix, dealerships told the customers they were on the hook for it.Once it went onto the global tv air, the dealerships took cae of the customers. Lets see if ram wants to deal with the media. I don't know what else to do.I owe $35k on this truck. I bought it to last.I am a 35 year loyal Ram/Dodge owner. My 2005 Ram 3500 with Cummins got 750k before I sold it, still running with over 1 million kms....my 2005 mega cab with hemi got 450k...my 2019 ram classic 128k and now sits in my yard forever... An it means nothing to them So I just bought a Ford to replace it....this needs to get out. Any ideas please let me know

hondas are blowing up too
Hey Randy - PDR Diesel in Langley did a swap for me came out great. I found a good used motor up in Prince George and then Garrett did a full delete/tune. I am towing with it driving south now. It was $20K to fix it but we only had 50K kms on the truck! Runs so well now. No worries. PS: We live in Port Alberni.

Ramsey#1

Aug 12, 2021
Truck Year
It has to be a way to get a compensation from the manufacturer, they know about those engines blowing up.
I would check on your states lemon laws. Here in California they have 30 days to repair or you can get them to buy it back.

RandyZinck

Dec 2, 2023
Truck Year
Hey Randy - PDR Diesel in Langley did a swap for me came out great. I found a good used motor up in Prince George and then Garrett did a full delete/tune. I am towing with it driving south now. It was $20K to fix it but we only had 50K kms on the truck! Runs so well now. No worries. PS: We live in Port Alberni.
thank you!

Ecodiesel18

Aug 11, 2023
Truck Year
The replacement engines also bad. as above allthe crankshafts are bad (metal or forged process). After 2 weeks after 5 months of waiting the replacement (2nd) engine failed. then I believe the 3rd possibly failed in the shop but not being clear with me. and now wait for weeks for the 3rd or 4th or something like that. To me the only solution to keep this is when Stelanits aknowledges these are all bad and engineer the Jeeps to fit the ecodiesel 3rd (last) generation that fixed the crankshaft issues and redesigned the engine for more reliability. But for now just keep waiting again. At least I have a loaner.
As some have mentioned Jan 2024 Mopar has produce more ecodiesel engines for those who have failures or multiple failures. I finally got my 2018 jeep ecodiesel back from dealership today in Jan 2024. Just to review crank cracked 4/23- no engines until 9/23 (remanufactured non mopar but still under warranty) it failed 3 weeks later (was not put together and bottom end went bad again). Engine as with most people failed with perfect care and maintenance. At dealership 10/23-1/24. Software and battery replaced again fortunately all under warranty due to lengthy fix time and bringing back. Overall dealership has been good in end of the day as far as no fees out of my pocket. Waiting for VM/Mopar to get new engines was the issue. Hopefully everyone has a reliable motor now 2024 and never has another failure again. Thanks for all the advice. Keep bothering jeep cares than can do goodwill to save you some money but you have to stick with it often for months.

Ecodiesel18

Aug 11, 2023
Truck Year
As some have mentioned Jan 2024 Mopar has produce more ecodiesel engines for those who have failures or multiple failures. I finally got my 2018 jeep ecodiesel back from dealership today in Jan 2024. Just to review crank cracked 4/23- no engines until 9/23 (remanufactured non mopar but still under warranty) it failed 3 weeks later (was not put together correctly and bottom end went bad again). Engine as with most people failed with perfect care and maintenance. At dealership 10/23-1/24. Software and battery replaced again fortunately all under warranty due to lengthy fix time and bringing back. Overall dealership has been good in end of the day as far as no fees out of my pocket. Waiting for VM/Mopar to get new engines was the issue. Hopefully everyone has a reliable motor now 2024 and never has another failure again. Thanks for all the advice. Keep bothering jeep cares than can do goodwill to save you some money but you have to stick with it often for months.

Ecodiesel18

Aug 11, 2023
Truck Year
As some have mentioned Jan 2024 Mopar has produce more ecodiesel engines for those who have failures or multiple failures. I finally got my 2018 jeep ecodiesel back from dealership today in Jan 2024. Just to review crank cracked 4/23- no engines until 9/23 (remanufactured non mopar but still under warranty) it failed 3 weeks later (was not put together correctly and bottom end went bad again). Engine as with most people failed with perfect care and maintenance. At dealership 10/23-1/24. Software and battery replaced again fortunately all under warranty due to lengthy fix time and bringing back. Overall dealership has been good in end of the day as far as no fees out of my pocket. Waiting for VM/Mopar to get new engines was the issue. Hopefully everyone has a reliable motor now 2024 and never has another failure again. Thanks for all the advice. Keep bothering jeep cares than can do goodwill to save you some money but you have to stick with it often for months.

Ecodiesel18

Aug 11, 2023
Truck Year
Sounds similar to mine everything you said. Hopefully not far from home. Mine was on way to work not a far trip thankfully . Class action has to be close. I am getting no where just waiting under warranty for replacement engine. No delivery date for engine.
As some have mentioned Jan 2024 Mopar has produce more ecodiesel engines for those who have failures or multiple failure. I finally got my 2018 jeep ecodiesel back from dealership today in Jan 2024. Just to review crank cracked 4/23- no engines until 9/23 (remanufactured non mopar but still under warranty) it failed 3 weeks later (was not put together and bottom end went bad again). Engine as with most people failed with perfect care and maintenance. At dealership 10/23-1/24. Software and battery replaced again fortunately all under warranty due to lengthy fix time and bringing back. Overall dealership has been good in end of the day as far as no fees out of my pocket. Waiting for VM/Mopar to get new engines was the issue. Hopefully everyone has a reliable motor now 2024 and never has another failure again. Thanks for all the advice. Keep bothering jeep cares than can do goodwill to save you some money but you have to stick with it often for months.

debbiemike

Jan 22, 2024
Truck Year
We all affected should get together and file a class action law suit. FCA is just making more extra money selling new engines instead of fixing the problem and sell a good quality reliable truck.
I agree. How do we file a class action suit? We are $26,000.00 in the hole from our truck failure!