• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Leveling Kit

SuperTodd

Sep 28, 2015
Truck Year
My closest dealer has leveling kit installed for 395. Just wondering if anyone has done this kind of level and if you have any pics? and what are pros and cons?
32c1a5b3a62f1ab01c7430c674409331x.jpg

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Honestly, I think $395 installed & aligned isn't bad depending on what they're calling a kit. Just spacers or Bilstein type leveling struts?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Honestly, I think $395 installed & aligned isn't bad depending on what they're calling a kit. Just spacers or Bilstein type leveling struts?

I was thinking just the spacers.. those are usually pretty cheap. But, I would definitely call and ask though like you mentioned.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Consider disconnecting shocks and compressing springs, adding the cookie/Puck, (spacer) and then a 75-100$ alignment, it's not terrible. I mean you can always do it cheaper but if you're buying tools it adds up just the same really.

Giuseppe

Jan 27, 2016
Truck Year
I recently put a leveling kit on myself, it's easy and cost me $80 with shipping from hell bent steel. After doing some research the 2 1/2 inch isn't recommend but the 2 inch is safe. It looks great and didn't change my ride

Veterancowboy

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I recently put a leveling kit on myself, it's easy and cost me $80 with shipping from hell bent steel. After doing some research the 2 1/2 inch isn't recommend but the 2 inch is safe. It looks great and didn't change my ride

Why do you say the 2.5" isn't recommended? Just bought my ED yesterday. I would like to get 35's on it. But will settle for 33's. Thanks for the info!

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Why do you say the 2.5" isn't recommended? Just bought my ED yesterday. I would like to get 35's on it. But will settle for 33's. Thanks for the info!
That extra half inch is another x amount of degrees on the cv axles which causes undue stress on the factory axle shaft.

If you have coil suspension the blisten leveling shocks are a better method though more expensive.

And you've got 33's from the factory! Congratulations.

With a leveling kit you should clear 35's but it may entail changing from your factory rims because of the offset. 35x 12.5 or 13.5 are much wider than the factory which is about 10.5.

Seeing as you have 20" rims you can also go to a 65 series tire which is a 34+" if it's an all terrain or highway tread. Just about any MT tire with 275/65/20 measures at 34.5 which is the same diameter as a 35 flotation size. But the section width stays under 12" to nearly eliminate the Chance of rubbing or having to trim wheel wells, add spacers, or change your rims and offset.

Veterancowboy

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
That extra half inch is another x amount of degrees on the cv axles which causes undue stress on the factory axle shaft.

If you have coil suspension the blisten leveling shocks are a better method though more expensive.

And you've got 33's from the factory! Congratulations.

With a leveling kit you should clear 35's but it may entail changing from your factory rims because of the offset. 35x 12.5 or 13.5 are much wider than the factory which is about 10.5.

Seeing as you have 20" rims you can also go to a 65 series tire which is a 34+" if it's an all terrain or highway tread. Just about any MT tire with 275/65/20 measures at 34.5 which is the same diameter as a 35 flotation size. But the section width stays under 12" to nearly eliminate the Chance of rubbing or having to trim wheel wells, add spacers, or change your rims and offset.

Well ment Ill stay 33's if need be.. Probably go back to one of 3 tires. Procomp Xtreme MT2, Goodyear Duratrac, or Toyo Open Country MT. I am going to go with the Blisten leveling shocks from them for 216/set. But will get them after I move in 2 weeks. Will sell my wheels and tires with 1,000 miles on them. Thanks for your advice!!!

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Well ment Ill stay 33's if need be.. Probably go back to one of 3 tires. Procomp Xtreme MT2, Goodyear Duratrac, or Toyo Open Country MT. I am going to go with the Blisten leveling shocks from them for 216/set. But will get them after I move in 2 weeks. Will sell my wheels and tires with 1,000 miles on them. Thanks for your advice!!!
Well as long as you don't mind a 10ply rated tire and the associated price tag and ride quality then the 275/65 is a good choice and because it's f250's standard tire size it's available from nearly every tire manufacturer and style

milosusa

Jul 26, 2016
Truck Year
Hi I am new to the forum, just recently purchased Ram 1500 Laramie with ecodiesel. I like to install leveling kit too. Plan to use on the front Bilstein adjustable shock and on the rear I like to put Icon dual rate springs 1.5 " longer over stock and use the Bilstein shocks too. Just like to know, if somebody did same upgrade and any con's to do that. Any problem with the sway bars or links I need to be aware off ? Should I go just 2 " on the front or set the ring to the highest groove ? Any installation tip will be appreciated .
THX milos

StevenB

Mar 30, 2016
Truck Year
I went with the Hell Bent Steel 2" leveling puck. Cheap, easy to install and an alignment wasn't needed after installation. When researching I read that an alignment is needed if you get the 2.5" puck from HBS because of the extra half inch...just my .02

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I went with the Hell Bent Steel 2" leveling puck. Cheap, easy to install and an alignment wasn't needed after installation. When researching I read that an alignment is needed if you get the 2.5" puck from HBS because of the extra half inch...just my .02
Any time you alter the ride height you need an alignments. We're talking about every measurement in tenths of a degree being vital. A half inch? I could maybe justify skipping. But anything beyond that it's absolutely necessary

StevenB

Mar 30, 2016
Truck Year
Any time you alter the ride height you need an alignments. We're talking about every measurement in tenths of a degree being vital. A half inch? I could maybe justify skipping. But anything beyond that it's absolutely necessary
After the installation of the 2" HBS puck I went to my local big name tire store on my way home for an alignment and they said it was good, nothing needed to be done. Maybe they were being lazy and saying "eh it's close enough" but I was a willing-to-pay customer and they didn't charge me or alter my alignment and the truck drives the same as it did before putting it on.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
After the installation of the 2" HBS puck I went to my local big name tire store on my way home for an alignment and they said it was good, nothing needed to be done. Maybe they were being lazy and saying "eh it's close enough" but I was a willing-to-pay customer and they didn't charge me or alter my alignment and the truck drives the same as it did before putting it on.
Well in that case lucky you, forgive me for assuming at first you were the type to think you could just get away without it. Glad you at least had it checked

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
The issue with a leveling kit past 2 inches is it can cause the upper ball joints to fail. It only happens to some but it's a possibility.

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
I think the levelling kits look awesome on the Chevy's and Fords, but honestly, my Ram ecodiesel looks level stock compared to the others. I wouldn't even piss around with it.

ecogoat

Apr 3, 2017
Truck Year
so I just bought my truck a few weeks ago, I absolutely love it so far, but the factory rake is driving me crazy. I have been looking a leveling kit or a lift kit for it, but I cant find anything. I have 2wd and everything I'm finding is for 4wd's. can anyone help me out. will the leveling kits that say 4wd drive work for the 2wd's?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
so I just bought my truck a few weeks ago, I absolutely love it so far, but the factory rake is driving me crazy. I have been looking a leveling kit or a lift kit for it, but I cant find anything. I have 2wd and everything I'm finding is for 4wd's. can anyone help me out. will the leveling kits that say 4wd drive work for the 2wd's?

Welcome to the site!