• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My experience with glow plug issue

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Hello to you all!

I come to this page after months of worry, research, clearing codes and eventually a trip to my local dealer. Let me give you a little insight on my ram first. I purchased my truck in August 2018 from a local small used car lot. 113k miles and truck in great shape. Around 117k in October I take it for an oil change and fuel filter change. End of October and my cel light and preheat in process light start to flash while trying to get to work. So I hit the internet.

Now, all I saw for google results is broke off glow plugs in sprinters and cabs coming off for head replacement. Now I’m not one for patience expecially when it comes to a vehicle I haven’t even owned for a year. My second gen 1500 was very loyal. Hints why I got a newer dodge. So I stop by the local parts store to check the codes after work. Low and behold #4 glowplug codes out the rear end. P0674 and P06BC riddled the scanner. So I take pictures of the screens and reset and clear lights. BOOM TRUCK FIXED.

WAIT! Mid December with the bed full of Christmas goodies I approach a stop light and guess what starts flashing. Now at this point I’m debating how I can get a road flare into the fuel tank. 45 days later my codes are back. As you can imagine I’m not very happy considering I’ve hardly made a dent in my loan and I’m having to trouble shoot what I thought was a good deal. So I stop by the store and borrow the code reader again. Same codes, so I price a glow plug and start to locate tear down instructions and debate if I should try the module first or just redo all the plugs. Well that black plastic cover on top of your motor? That’s there for a reason.

I pull it off and see a pile of wires and hoses and plugs and stuff I’ve only seen in space shuttles in movies. So that went back on quickly. Now, I’m half way mechanically inclined. Rebuilt motors, rears, swap out a transmission, but I know my limits.

With the codes reset and no clue where to start to get to the plug I prayed for a natural fix as the cel and message flashing is not a problem turning up the radio could fix.

Well Sunday the light comes on as I leave church. So I stop by the store again and reset the same codes and purchase road flares and head home. Call my dealer Monday morning, part is in stock 390$ to replace including parts. Drop it off tueseday at 830 am as scheduled. Ask how Long repairs are normally they say Wednesday afternoon it should be good to go. Wednesday morning I get a call saying part is ordered it’ll be in later that day or Thursday morning. The tech can’t find a code anywhere in computer so I relay the codes I found to the advisor. Tech didn’t want to replace a plug if he couldn’t see a plug code, well I don’t blame the man plus it’ll help my bill. Thursday afternoon they call me and say the tech inspected every ground and connection and found a few looking bad. Fixed and truck is ready for pickup. I was advised if the codes come back bring it straight in and they will diagnose for free and then will replace the plug!

Shew, I’m feeling lucky. They told me worst case my bill would be 13k!!!!! I wasn’t looking for that so my fingers are crossed that the issue is resolved! I just wanted to share my experience for those who encounter this issue

Bacorn

Feb 6, 2019
Truck Year
I bought my 2015 Eco Tradesman 2 weeks ago with the CEL lit. Code was the glow plug on cylinder 6 (PO676). I made an appt and took it in this morning (10 day wait). Well, it's evening and I'm driving a Ford Focus. Service writer says the diesel tech is still on it but he doesn't work Saturdays and that my truck may have to be shipped out to the local Ram dealer (bought the truck from a Ford Dealership). Starange thing is, CEL and the "wait to start" flashing light went out and stayed out 3 days ago, in a snowstorm.
I'm not complaining. Issue is under warranty and I have wheels but I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.
Good luck with your glow plug issue.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Update.

Picked the truck up and two days later(Saturday) codes are back. They go to replace plug and say it’s stuck. Quoted 8k to replace head. That’s a no go, I’m not dropping 8k when I haven’t even payed on the truck a year. They also said it could be the connection on the plug. So 140$ more to “repair” the connection. If no luck it will be going Away unfortunately. I really tried to love this truck. But I can’t pay that much when I’m already under. Thought it would be my last truck and faithful like my second gen was. I hope to the rest of you this never happens. Very disappointed.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
It was sprinkling but they went over the ground connections

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Allegidly. Idk they had it for 3 days. I think he didn’t wanna attempt it so just throw the 8k out there to scare me away. I’m just done. Truck third brake light leaked when I got it about 2 weeks after having it. No biggie they fixed it. Then the rear rotors were about gone. Whatever fix it and get better braking system and now this. I just don’t understand. IMHO if it breaks off it’s there problem not mine, I can brake shit just fine. I take it to a expert for a reason, so if it does brake off they have the tool to remove it and go on with my day.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Or the tech seen it was #4 and didn’t even want to attempt it. I couldn’t see it at all. I seen 1 and 2

Misfit Toys

Feb 18, 2019
Truck Year
Been lurking since I bought my 14 tradesman in October of 17 with 35k. Literally just walked in the house after changing gp #5. Having done the same procedure on my 07 jeep crd a year or so ago, I knew it was gunna be gut wrenching. Thank goodness it wasn't #6. 2 hours of soaking and very small movements back and forth, it was out! Ten mins later engine was buttoned up and out of my wife's spot in the garage. "Dodge" d another bullet, for now. On to the next adventure, the coolant loss saga. New 3-way valve comes tomorrow. This forum is invaluable. Thanks to all!

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Been lurking since I bought my 14 tradesman in October of 17 with 35k. Literally just walked in the house after changing gp #5. Having done the same procedure on my 07 jeep crd a year or so ago, I knew it was gunna be gut wrenching. Thank goodness it wasn't #6. 2 hours of soaking and very small movements back and forth, it was out! Ten mins later engine was buttoned up and out of my wife's spot in the garage. "Dodge" d another bullet, for now. On to the next adventure, the coolant loss saga. New 3-way valve comes tomorrow. This forum is invaluable. Thanks to all!

Welcome @Misfit Toys ! Glad it was smooth and you got it taken care of.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year

What do I need to take off to get to #4? I’d give it a wing myself but I can’t find any good info as to how to get to it with any ease. I just still don’t understand how they have an extractor tool for every other plug in the world except this one. I contacted another dealer and he told me that their tech has had really good luck getting them out, as opposed to dealer 1 who told me they have only ever done 1 in the ecodiesel and that it’s not common.

Misfit Toys

Feb 18, 2019
Truck Year
#4 is on front driver's side. Pop engine cover off by pulling up then towards the front. Take the intercooler hose off, hose clamp in front and wire snap in back. To release the wire snap, practice up front near the hose clamp you just loosened. Use a pick or flat screwdriver to pull up on the wire while putting back pressure on the hose. Wire will remain in the clamp assembly. After the hose is removed, pull up the rubber sound deadening and put it on top of the fuse box for a knee pad, you will want to get comfortable! The glow plug wires are connected to long stems with flat tops. Mine had a blue assembly mark on them. Look near the top of the motor, above the injector fuel rail, down in the crevice. If you've ever hunted mushrooms, it's like finding that first one. Once you find one you will see the other 2. #4 & #5 are not too bad, #6 makes my back and knuckles hurt just looking at it. Pull up on the stem, might take a lil force. I now recommend you blow the crevice out with compressed air to remove all the crap around the hole your about to open up, hopefully. Blow then soak with your favorite penetrating oil. That felt weird to type. Get a 1/4" drive ratchet, extension, and 5/16" deep well socket. Mine broke loose easily, then fought for its miserable life the rest the way out. Like I said, get comfy. Spray, soak, out as far as your nerves will handle, back in till it reaches a loose spot then spray, soak, out...repeat. took me 2 hours. I walked away a couple times. Be patient and careful, it's actually a very easy procedure. Just keep looking at #6 and be thankful

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
So I don’t have to undo that god awful mess of tubing that looks like a spider? Sorry for my ignorance the last time I looked under that cover it resulted in a broken bug guard and a case of beer getting demolished in frustration. I will have a gander under the hood when I get home to see if I can soak it and coax it out. Calling for snow and ice tomorrow so If it doesn’t come out tonight it’ll be a while till it thaws out lol

Misfit Toys

Feb 18, 2019
Truck Year
So I don’t have to undo that god awful mess of tubing that looks like a spider? Sorry for my ignorance the last time I looked under that cover it resulted in a broken bug guard and a case of beer getting demolished in frustration. I will have a gander under the hood when I get home to see if I can soak it and coax it out. Calling for snow and ice tomorrow so If it doesn’t come out tonight it’ll be a while till it thaws out lol
Not at all. I'll be back under the hood again this afternoon to swap out 3 way coolant valve, so I'll try to get a good location pic posted. If I can figure that out.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Not at all. I'll be back under the hood again this afternoon to swap out 3 way coolant valve, so I'll try to get a good location pic posted. If I can figure that out.
You sir are a savior!! I hope what the dealer did fixes it but I have a feeling I’ll be giving it a whirl. I have tried to post pics but it tells me they are too big for the server. I just don’t get it my 5.9 magnum never gave me an issue and it’s at 203k with 60k of those miles being hard lol. I will be sure to keep it updated and if I have to attempt the plug I’ll try a video. I’ve read it’s best to do it while the motor is hot. Any input?

Misfit Toys

Feb 18, 2019
Truck Year
I would/ did. Well it was warm when I started. By the time I figured out how to get the hose off and actually identify the glow plug, it had cooled quite a bit.

WhiteLighting

Jan 29, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
I would/ did. Well it was warm when I started. By the time I figured out how to get the hose off and actually identify the glow plug, it had cooled quite a bit.
Thank you for the very descriptive and informative process!
I just got the P06BC code too and I'm hoping the #4 glow plug will cure it's ills. It has just 3100 miles so if this is only thing that happens to it I will thank my lucky stars!

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Just an update at the moment, since the connection fix the truck started perfect no stutter or hesitation yesterday, 30 degrees out. Didn’t drive it so I could keep the salt off my black paint 😂

Misfit Toys

Feb 18, 2019
Truck Year
I took some pics but cant attach because of size. When I get that figured out I'll post them.