• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need a heads up on what to ask while shopping for our new EcoDiesel

k9s4hire

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
My wife and I are trading in our 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 for a new 2016 EcoDiesel. We are looking at the Limited Laramie 4x4 with four corner air ride. This will be our second Ram Diesel. I had a 2001 2500 and loved it. My wife will be using it as a daily driver. She drive an hour each way for work. We chose the EcoDiesel for its warranty and MPG. What add ons are "Must haves" from before we sign any purchase orders? Thanks for your help.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
also looking into an EcoDiesel, have a 10 hour drive to work every couple weeks, currently driving a 98 ram with 300,000+ miles with a Cummins in it. Worked fine when work was only 4.5 hours away, but she's getting tired. Hope this thread picks up a bit, been a diesel owner for a long time and had all makes/models. Currently besides the work pickup have a 2014 F-350 with the 6.7, but the ecodiesel seems like a logical choice for what I use it for

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
The Limited will have every bell & whistle standard as far as creature comforts.

Maybe check the gear ratio if towing heavy is in your future. Your choices will be 3.55 or 3.92. Negligible mileage difference between the two reported, so opt for 3.92 if you can.

Personally I'd add on a spray in liner as the drop in OEM bed liner is not my cup of tea.

Also check out their oil change packages. If getting it in for service is easy and convenient for you, I think there's money to be saved there. It's still costing me $125+ for a DIY change. Do the math and see what a package will cost you. Keep in mind it's a 10k mile interval.

All comes down to what options are most important to you.

-Brady

CaptainMal

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
Get the 3:55 rears as you don't read like towing is much in the picture. Maybe a limited-slip rear differential is fine, 4 x 4 or not.

Options are personal. Other than a trailer brake controller, the rest is just fluff. Give me an engine and transmission inside a solid piece of transportation and I could sit on a wooden buckboard seat.

k9s4hire

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
Thanks everyone. They are bringing one to the dealership tomorrow or Saturday that has what we requested. Cross your fingers it's everything I hope it is.

Stan Laurel

Aug 3, 2015
Truck Year
Short bed vs. long bed, Rambox or no Rambox, Trailer mirrors or not, gearing ratio, bedliner. I think that's really all you need to decide on except color. And maybe a block heater plug of you are in the great white north. Good luck with your Limited - they really stand out!

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
Picked mine up yesterday, haven't driven it other than a test drive, but really liked it!

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Limited should have bed liner standard, delete is actually the option. I built my Laramie Longhorn to limited specs, 4 corner air, keyless, convenience package, sunroof, Nav, etc.

I absolutely love it and use most everything. Not the biggest fan of the Auto windshield wipers. And I do not use the Auto high beams.

As previously stated, the only real choices are bed size, 5' or 6.5'. Likely the short box as it's much more park friendly. I have the 6.5' and my wife cannot park between two cars. Then ram box or not, depends on your styling choice, and if you plan on a topper or the like, or hauling anything other than a standard ATV that you need more than between the wheel wells. Tonneau covers are available.

Tow mirrors, I like mine, many don't. But they are a hassle to park with because of the additional width and no power fold.

Limited slip rear is nice but a 3.55 is all that's necessary. Regardless of towing. Especially if it's Used for regular commuting.

Full cast aluminum rims if your in the salt belt will last longer but it's a $1500 upfit even on the limited I think. I don't mind the bezeled rims that come standard but they will pit faster

k9s4hire

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
We got everything that the Limited comes with I think. We HAD to have the electric folding mirrors so the one they showed us did not have the factory trailer brakes (they said the trailer brakes only come with the towing mirror model). Was ready to walk away and keep looking but they offered to pay for factory install of trailer braking system. We also added factory running boards, window tinting and rain guards for the windows.
First thing I ordered through Amazon was the DEF and Diesel only billet fill caps (just to ease my mind over the factory fuel door seal). Now looking at bed cover. My 2013 1500 had a "Tonno Pro" hard tri-fold and planned on putting it on the new truck but alas I did not realize that we got the 6.5 bed instead of the 5 foot. Friends and family are really impressed with the diesel engine. Drove off the lot at 14 MPG avg. (Only 65 miles on the unit) Two days later we are up to 17.5 MPG. I assume MPG will continue to climb as the motor starts mating up with all the new parts. Thanks for all the input.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I had a tonno pro soft trifold and I really disliked it. I actually sent it back. BAK makes amazing tonneau covers. I had the aluminum hard roll up on my truck right away and I loved it. It was the best tonneau except for the large size when rolled up limited a little bit of bed usability. Looked great though. And they have really high quality in channel tri folds. I prefer the in channel instead of the fold over top so much because of the rounded bed rails on the ram. The box looks really awkward with the square tri fold clamped to the top.

Good choice on the truck. The bed size is nice if you use it at all and getting the dealer to install the integrated brake controller with standard mirrors was a good push.

If you for any reason felt it necessary you could purchase a set of 2500/3500 tow mirrors. The HD trucks have power fold on their tow mirrors and for whatever reason we don't get the option. So the only way to get power folding tows is to get factory power fold and upgrade to HD mirrors. There was a site that had every imaginable style available. But unless you're pulling an 8.5' wide trailer regularly you'll never need it.

Enjoy the truck! And yes the MPG will continue to climb. Depending on idling and city driving habits you could see averages push 25

k9s4hire

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
I actually love my Tonno Pro hard tri-fold. I broke one of the hinges because I placed something in the bed that would not allow me to close it and instead of just folding it back I drove as is. I contacted Tonno Pro and then sent me a replacement with instructions on how to repair it good as new. I think the soft tri fold looks flimsy so I would stick with the hard tri fold.

polecat

Feb 11, 2016
Truck Year
My wife and I are trading in our 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 for a new 2016 EcoDiesel. We are looking at the Limited Laramie 4x4 with four corner air ride. This will be our second Ram Diesel. I had a 2001 2500 and loved it. My wife will be using it as a daily driver. She drive an hour each way for work. We chose the EcoDiesel for its warranty and MPG. What add ons are "Must haves" from before we sign any purchase orders? Thanks for your help.

DO NOT expect much from Ram warranty . Regardless of what you are told it is only as good as company . I can show you in black and white how they treat major problems IE. injector blows apart causing fire . Took 45 days to ok repairs then parts not available . March 24 date of fire . Today May 30 , still not repaired . Now truck has Carfax history . Arbitration next step . See my previous posts . Truly a nightmare .

MrKelly

Aug 28, 2016
Truck Year
Not Listed
DO NOT expect much from Ram warranty . Regardless of what you are told it is only as good as company . I can show you in black and white how they treat major problems IE. injector blows apart causing fire . Took 45 days to ok repairs then parts not available . March 24 date of fire . Today May 30 , still not repaired . Now truck has Carfax history . Arbitration next step . See my previous posts . Truly a nightmare .
This is vital to hear; being that I am considering purchasing a new Ram ED, right now.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Regardless every vehicle has a Chance of some failure. Yours resulted in a fire and I understand how heavy that ways on a vehicles history but so many vehicles are repaired, with various results of damage that regardless of time you shouldn't be expecting to call up fca and say nope, this one had two consecutive failures then resulted in a fire under the service advisors watch I don't want it any more refund me msrp even though it was 20% actual value damage and was repaired professionally. It's no different than telling your insurance company they can't Repair your vehicle and return it to you and expecting them to take it and cut you a check so you can cut your losses and hope for better luck

MrKelly

Aug 28, 2016
Truck Year
Not Listed
Check out my posts for how Ram handles major problems . Love the truck , hate FCA !!
I previously owned a 2013 Hardball Victory; loved my motorcycle but the customer service was so awful I rode it 19,000 miles and then sold it.
My question to you would be, Do you think Ford's customer service is better? It's basically between the Ram ED or the 2017 F-150 Diesel that will debut in September or October 2016.

MrKelly

Aug 28, 2016
Truck Year
Not Listed
Check out my posts for how Ram handles major problems . Love the truck , hate FCA !!
Wow; Pole Cat. Thanks for sharing. Really liked the RAM ED but this is scaring me off as a potential customer.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Wow; Pole Cat. Thanks for sharing. Really liked the RAM ED but this is scaring me off as a potential customer.
Polecat's situation is truly unfortunate. But it does not represent the majority of EcoD ownership. More in line with <1% so make sure that is factored into your decision as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk