• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil change

matejad4

Nov 13, 2018
Truck Year
Hey Guys I’m looking to do my first oil change on my 2015 eco diesel ram and was looking for recommend on what type of oil to use and should I go with Half or full synthetic?

Thank you

Rich Daarud

Nov 14, 2018
Truck Year
Hey Guys I’m looking to do my first oil change on my 2015 eco diesel ram and was looking for recommend on what type of oil to use and should I go with Half or full synthetic?

Thank you
I'm having good luck with Amzoil Signature 5-40. I don't need to add between 10k service and oil analysis is strong. I'm now at 80k on my 2016 Longhorn.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Peaches

May 13, 2016
Truck Year

Thank you
I've used Shell Rotella and it meets the ecodiesel requirements. Shop Walmart or Amazon Prime for the best price.

Peaches

May 13, 2016
Truck Year
I've used Shell Rotella; it meets Ram requirements too. Check Walmart and or Amazon Prime for the best price. Also check the internet for a cupon.

eeeehaw

May 3, 2018
Truck Year

Thank you

It definitely needs a full synthetic, and these new smaller eco diesel motors from Fiat, Mercedes, etc, are so precision that just any synthetic is not recommended for several reasons, not the least is the blend of biodiesel up to B5 and the heavy diesel soot particulates that wind up in the crankcase and from there the bearings. I'm using the Fiat/Ram recommended Shell Rotella Platinum full synthetic, which is what my local dealer also uses in the 1500 Fiat ecodiesel motor. You may be shocked at the price, tho, so be forewarned. Where I live in the Seattle area, it costs me the same for the dealer to change the oil compared to me buying it off Amazon and doing it myself, and they do the time & labor...abt $170USD...so I'm having them do it now.

Bruski

Dec 25, 2017
Truck Year
Full Syn is required by FCA (see all the previous comments.)
As an aside, you asked about "Half Synthetic" in your question. I may be wrong, but in my experience you may find "Synthetic Blend" but I've never found one the specifies what the exact blend is. In other words, a 1% Synthetic/ 99% Dino could be "Synthetic Blend." Unless it specifies the blend, I would stay with Full 100% Syn or 100% Dino in your vehicle (and definitely what ever is spec'd by the Mfg.)

SLT

Mar 28, 2016
Truck Year
First Oil change on your 2015 Eco Diesel. I hope somebody else changed the Oil in that Engine before.
Go with Manufacturers Recommendation, Shell Rotella T6 5W- 40. I do my own Oil changes, take my time. Let it drain well 15 min. or longer.
I let it drain sometimes 30 min. plus while I do other things. There is a Video on U Tube, worth while watching.
Good Luck,
SLT.

Jeff Garretto

Dec 23, 2017
Truck Year

Thank you
Rotella 550045347 Synthetic Motor Oil (5W-40 CJ-4),

MarkS

Jan 31, 2018
Truck Year
I did my own oil change after the dealer quoted me $210. Used the FCA recommended Shell Rotella T-6 5/40wt synthetic. With the oil purchased at WalMart and a Mopar filter the cost was about $110. Take your time and enjoy the savings!

matejad4

Nov 13, 2018
Truck Year
I did my own oil change after the dealer quoted me $210. Used the FCA recommended Shell Rotella T-6 5/40wt synthetic. With the oil purchased at WalMart and a Mopar filter the cost was about $110. Take your time and enjoy the savings!
Yea I got it at menards for $17 a gallon so it was worth it.

matejad4

Nov 13, 2018
Truck Year
So I changed my oil yesterday I only did 7000 miles since the oil was changed last time my first oil change and the oil cane out super black. Is that normal in a diesel truck? My truck has about 70k miles

Scottd

Apr 23, 2017
Truck Year
So I changed my oil yesterday I only did 7000 miles since the oil was changed last time my first oil change and the oil cane out super black. Is that normal in a diesel truck? My truck has about 70k miles

Yep...normal! Welcome to the world of EGR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk