• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil in coolant.

How your doin?

Feb 26, 2016
Truck Year
Purchased a 2015 in August last year. Had oil changed just shy of 10k in December. At just over 13k service engine light came on. The coolant in the reservoir was black

It has been in the shop for 2 weeks now with at least a week and a half to go. Dodge is replacing the engine and anything that touches oil or coolant under warranty.

The initial code was for a stuck bypass valve. I was told the cost for all repairs will exceed 20k.

Last edited:

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Purchased a 2015 in August last year. Had oil changed just shy of 10k in December. At just over 13k service engine light came on. The coolant in the reservoir was black

It has been in the shop for 2 weeks now with at least a week and a half to go. Dodge is replacing the engine and anything that touches oil or coolant under warranty.

The initial code was for a stuck bypass valve. I was told the cost for all repairs will exceed 20k.

Welcome to the club of black coolant. Hope Ram takes care of you!

Let us know how everything goes.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I think, now, it a good investment for those whose engine seem okay, to do an oil testing, catch the issue before it happen and the only way you can find out, if the right oil was used, as invoices can be manipulated.

Also, are you able to get the actual code, that suggest stuck bypass valve. Would like to look into it.

Thanks

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
be patient, I've received my first failed oil cooler yesterday for testing. Owner had 13000 miles original when it failed. I have a second one coming, 28000 miles. Both trucks deleted. Both complete warranties revoked by fca. One I already know what failed, I'll be posting videos on all the testing. These things are pieces of crap internally super restrictive. But there are some very cool replacements coming for suffering or worried owners. I have a nice system on my truck now.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
be patient, I've received my first failed oil cooler yesterday for testing. Owner had 13000 miles original when it failed. I have a second one coming, 28000 miles. Both trucks deleted. Both complete warranties revoked by fca. One I already know what failed, I'll be posting videos on all the testing. These things are pieces of crap internally super restrictive. But there are some very cool replacements coming for suffering or worried owners. I have a nice system on my truck now.

Good info, keep us updated Shawn!

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
If deletes were done early in the ownership of truck and they still experience oil in coolant, then it seem the anti-pollution is not a factor.

Is there a picture available to show the oil cooler guts and area of failure?

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Great, thanks for time and labour on it. Sure would like to avoid having to deal with oil in coolant, if it can be resolved asap.

As mention, my concern about wrong oil, appears to have been a clerical error on RamaTek Inc. end. Can't no longer recommend them. I had to go in person, as they never responded to my email, asking for confirmation. I lost confidence in them.

After having received AGAT Lab, (national lab) which tells me all is okay and posted already, I be using them from now on.

Jasonwm

May 11, 2015
Truck Year
The only code it gave was P1296 no d+c definition found. Both places told me the truck was too new and they couldn't tell me what the codes meant? This one seems to me mysterious? Nobody I talk to knows what it really means? Any thoughts. My main concern is the oil slick that is floating at the top of my coolant reservoir. Not sure that the code is even related?

P1296 is low voltage to the MAP sensor, but more commonly caused by a plugging up EGR tube, as per others on the Ecodiesel performance FB page.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Okay on the p1296, I was thinking about a post that said: "The initial code was for a stuck bypass valve." I was wondering what that code was?

RoninRam

Feb 20, 2016
Truck Year
I thought thread readers might like an update on the status of my problem with oil in the coolant.

I spoke with the dealership this morning and found out that I now have a new EcoDiesel engine along with all new hoses. As I understand it, it was impossible to thoroughly clean the oil residue. I hope this is some help to others.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I thought thread readers might like an update on the status of my problem with oil in the coolant.

I spoke with the dealership this morning and found out that I now have a new EcoDiesel engine along with all new hoses. As I understand it, it was impossible to thoroughly clean the oil residue. I hope this is some help to others.

Glad they are getting you taken care of. Let's hope this one works out for you! (y)

How your doin?

Feb 26, 2016
Truck Year
My truck was in the shop for exactly 60 days. Dodge replaced engine and coolant system. I asked for and received a service contract because my confidence is shaken. I am not fully confident in the ability of my local dealership replacing a motor. About 2k miles after picking up the truck the only issue is the oil burn off smell!

Jag1966

Jul 15, 2016
Truck Year
Just brought my 2015 Ecodiesel into the dealership because of oil sludge in the coolant reservoir. I am hoping to get a full engine replacement. I have 22,300 miles on my truck!! What suggestions do you have about ensuring the engine replacement happens??

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Get OA Oil sample ASAP if coolant is found in oil .

Another potentially huge problem to be aware of is the reaction of calcium sulfonate (engine oil detergent) with ethylene glycol (engine coolant). When these fluids are mixed, a chemical reaction ensues that produces small abrasive balls as a byproduct. These "oil balls" are between 5 and 40 microns in size. The significance of the size is that this is also the size of the fluid film. In essence what is produced is a sandpaper balls that fits perfectly into the clearance between the engine’s internal components. The results are severe wear and eventual failure.

If Your Running MS11106 it has high levels of calcium.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Just brought my 2015 Ecodiesel into the dealership because of oil sludge in the coolant reservoir. I am hoping to get a full engine replacement. I have 22,300 miles on my truck!! What suggestions do you have about ensuring the engine replacement happens??

Welcome to the forum. These guys here will give you great advise so stick around!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Many have asked the sample will be full of sodium ,Not necessarily, OIL PSI is much higher then coolant Pressure if caught soon only the coolant will be contaminate, If the sample contains high levels wear material's replace engine ... But if sodium is found most likely the Oil exchanger was weeping maybe weeks before complete failure...So wear resulted prior to failure and this should be covered with complete engine and all supporting hardware under warranty.

The only way to know 100% if sodium is found is to remove engine and inspect Cam, Bearings Rod/Main and all rotating mass for wear.

grayghost

Aug 12, 2016
Truck Year
I realize this is a old post but I am fairly new to the forum and ED in general. I am trying to go through all the post and learn the ED. My question is where is the best place for oil testing and can a warranty be voided because you do your own oil changes as long as they meet T6 specs. I have a 2016 ED.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I realize this is a old post but I am fairly new to the forum and ED in general. I am trying to go through all the post and learn the ED. My question is where is the best place for oil testing and can a warranty be voided because you do your own oil changes as long as they meet T6 specs. I have a 2016 ED.

You want to keep all of your oil receipts. You have some type of documentation this way..