• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil Spec Recall/TSB - Grounds for Class-Action?

issanni

Sep 26, 2016
Truck Year
I just purchased my truck a few weeks ago, beginning of Sept. I can tell you that if they completed this TSB on my truck, which I don't think they did, they didn't put the sticker on the oil cap at least.

I'm emailing my salesman now to find out what the deal is. If they didn't complete the TSB they are going to get an earful from me I assure you.

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
I just purchased my truck a few weeks ago, beginning of Sept. I can tell you that if they completed this TSB on my truck, which I don't think they did, they didn't put the sticker on the oil cap at least.

I'm emailing my salesman now to find out what the deal is. If they didn't complete the TSB they are going to get an earful from me I assure you.
I did the same thing. My salesman said that they did the service but that they didn't have the oil cap sticker or the owner's manual supplement on hand. I thought to myself, "Yeah right, this asshole thinks I'm an idiot". So i go out to the garage and take another look under the hood. Sure enough, you could see evidence where the tech had wiped some spilled oil off the heat shield near the oil fill port. So I had some level of confidence restored in the dealer. I was more concerned about the "flashes" though because I usually change the oil on my new vehicles after the first thousand miles anyway. They did perform the flash updates too.

issanni

Sep 26, 2016
Truck Year
I did the same thing. My salesman said that they did the service but that they didn't have the oil cap sticker or the owner's manual supplement on hand. I thought to myself, "Yeah right, this asshole thinks I'm an idiot". So i go out to the garage and take another look under the hood. Sure enough, you could see evidence where the tech had wiped some spilled oil off the heat shield near the oil fill port. So I had some level of confidence restored in the dealer. I was more concerned about the "flashes" though because I usually change the oil on my new vehicles after the first thousand miles anyway. They did perform the flash updates too.

That's reassuring, however I typically trust no one at a car dealer. I've owned 60 some odd vehicles in my 27 years of driving and they are all shady as F, for the most part. We shall see when and if I get a response from the salesman.

Dcullen

Sep 22, 2016
Truck Year
For us DiYers any oil filter recommendations with the new oil spec?

Buggy-Bumpers

Feb 21, 2016
Truck Year
Everything except the oil filter is covered
Yeah the oil filter cost me $68. Oh and by the way FCA is also doing this to the Jeep Cherokees with the ECODIESEL also. I was told they ran out of stickers for the oil fill cap but the managed to find the addendum for the book after I politely asked about it. The only thing that really pisses me off is that already had purchased 4 gallons of the 5W-30 ACE oil from AMSOIL and now I can't use it or return it due to how long I have had it.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
Yeah the oil filter cost me $68. Oh and by the way FCA is also doing this to the Jeep Cherokees with the ECODIESEL also. I was told they ran out of stickers for the oil fill cap but the managed to find the addendum for the book after I politely asked about it. The only thing that really pisses me off is that already had purchased 4 gallons of the 5W-30 ACE oil from AMSOIL and now I can't use it or return it due to how long I have had it.
You can use the 5w-30 oil if you feel inclined to use it up. Yeah it sucks that the filter is that expensive, but there is no aftermarket equivalent that's out yet. I know there's some companies working on one, haven't heard if they've been released yet. Welcome to the diesel world, everything is a little more expensive

John

Nov 13, 2015
Purolator, MAHLE, HENGST, Hastings, STP, and Wix to name a few aftermarket filters that are available

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
Purolator, MAHLE, HENGST, Hastings, STP, and Wix to name a few aftermarket filters that are available
Well there ya go, hopefully they don't have the 6.0 powerstroke and 6.4 powerstroke issues with aftermarket filters, those engines right there are the reason I will stick to factory filters for everything regardless of price differential.

Hevster1

Oct 3, 2016
Truck Year
I am more worried how this will affect DPF regeneration/clogging than any damage. I am not a fan of the Pennzoil so I use Amsoil with the OE filter until the Mann becomes available. The Mahle has the o-ring in the wrong place and while it may be ok, I am not taking the chance.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
I highly doubt it will cause anymore clogging of the DPF or regens, mine builds up soot pretty fast around town, but it's about the same as 5-30 was on the interstate between regens, only have 11,000 miles on the odometer, had an edge insight cts on it for about 8,000 miles now so I've been able to monitor how fast soot buildup takes place in various types of driving

issanni

Sep 26, 2016
Truck Year
took my truck in Saturday and the dealer supposedly replaced my oil and did the programming but still no oil cap sticker or anything like that......I'm still skeptical that they changed the oil. I need to more closely examine the no charge invoice they gave me.

Hevster1

Oct 3, 2016
Truck Year
I highly doubt it will cause anymore clogging of the DPF or regens, mine builds up soot pretty fast around town, but it's about the same as 5-30 was on the interstate between regens, only have 11,000 miles on the odometer, had an edge insight cts on it for about 8,000 miles now so I've been able to monitor how fast soot buildup takes place in various types of driving
Maybe not. However, most LDD's are using 5w-30 ultra low ash. Some use 15W-40 ultra low ash. The recommendation on the TSB of Rotella T6 which is a higher ash content oil from what I understand is worrisome. I am considering using Amsoil DEO which I stock which is DPF compatible if my research into Rotella proves this. Funny thing is, my friend with one purchases his oil and filters from a dealership. They are selling him 5w-40 Pennzoil Euro, not Rotella T6.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
OK only my second post so here goes. The greater sheer strength and film strength of a 5W-40 vs. the Euro spec. 5W-30 would be enough for me to switch, to tell the truth I was going to do it anyway as soon as I got past my dealers free changes. Now that being said I called my Dealer today to schedule my next oil change and asked about the TSB oil spec change. He pulled up my VIN and stated that FCA had not attached that TSB to my VIN so they would be using "the standard oil", 5W-30 Euro, but if I had the TSB in hand I should bring it with me and we could talk about it. Now we have a software product at our shop, no names, which gives us a TSB update if we ask for a vehicle update, so after reading about the TSB for the 5W-40 Rotella T6 I looked it up and it was not present, again for my VIN, but was listed for the 2016 engines. The way I read the bulletin is that there are two functions, 1. the Rapid Response Transmittal which tells the Dealership that these steps need to be taken right now. 2. a Technical Service Bulletin which covers all engines made on or before June 30, 2016. Yet from what I am being told by my dealer is that FCA also attaches pertinent TSB's to specific VIN# for notification upon servicing and if my Service Writer does not see it, it does not exist.
About filters, I will pick between OEM online at $49.95 or WIX at $29.95, went to AMSOIL: website to see if they had a filter yet and they display a picture and PN of a WIX filter.
I absolutely love this truck, my first personal diesel, excellent fuel mileage that even with DEF cost is still below $.09 a mile, but, yes Mildred there is a but, when I start to factor in the cost of oil change I begin to wonder. My Chevy 5.7 every 5K $5.80 Filter 6qts 5W-40 full synthetic $15.00 1 can of BG MOA $20.00 vs. the diesel oil change cost which I will be doing between 5k to 7K miles, because I have seen what the extended oil change cycle has done to BMW and Mercedes engines. Rotella T6 now $30.00gl ($90.00) Filter low at $29.95 BG DOC $20.00 for a whooping $139.99 total, my cost without sales tax. Have a shop with Resale Tax Permit and wholesale accounts.

issanni

Sep 26, 2016
Truck Year
I forgot to mention my truck is a 2015 and there was. O mention by the dealer that the ViN wasn't attached to the RRT.

I'll take a look at the no charge invoice and see if it details what they did. I know they did some programming at least. I'm pretty sure they did the oil too. Makes me wonder now what the right decision is....

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
The dealer here isn't changing the 2014-2015 pickups, still using the 5w-30, it's odd to say the least