• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil Spec Recall/TSB - Grounds for Class-Action?

Day Trippin

Jul 20, 2016
Truck Year
I went in to my local dealer, not where I bought my truck, and they said no need to change yet. Just do it at the first oil change interval. I have a 2016 truck that is covered by this. What idiots!

DRMAC

Oct 10, 2016
Truck Year
Hello again, RAM is calling it a "Safety Recall" Why? two days a go without asking and under warranty "18-078-16" was performed at the dealer and 10 quarts of oil was replaced using 5W40 which he insisted he put in. from the post I noticed no filter was replaced a little cheesie, everybody knows when you replace oil you replace the filter too at least I do. Thanks you for the common interest I have with my new ecodiesel

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
OK only my second post so here goes. The greater sheer strength and film strength of a 5W-40 vs. the Euro spec. 5W-30 would be enough for me to switch, to tell the truth I was going to do it anyway as soon as I got past my dealers free changes. Now that being said I called my Dealer today to schedule my next oil change and asked about the TSB oil spec change. He pulled up my VIN and stated that FCA had not attached that TSB to my VIN so they would be using "the standard oil", 5W-30 Euro, but if I had the TSB in hand I should bring it with me and we could talk about it. Now we have a software product at our shop, no names, which gives us a TSB update if we ask for a vehicle update, so after reading about the TSB for the 5W-40 Rotella T6 I looked it up and it was not present, again for my VIN, but was listed for the 2016 engines. The way I read the bulletin is that there are two functions, 1. the Rapid Response Transmittal which tells the Dealership that these steps need to be taken right now. 2. a Technical Service Bulletin which covers all engines made on or before June 30, 2016. Yet from what I am being told by my dealer is that FCA also attaches pertinent TSB's to specific VIN# for notification upon servicing and if my Service Writer does not see it, it does not exist.
About filters, I will pick between OEM online at $49.95 or WIX at $29.95, went to AMSOIL: website to see if they had a filter yet and they display a picture and PN of a WIX filter.
I absolutely love this truck, my first personal diesel, excellent fuel mileage that even with DEF cost is still below $.09 a mile, but, yes Mildred there is a but, when I start to factor in the cost of oil change I begin to wonder. My Chevy 5.7 every 5K $5.80 Filter 6qts 5W-40 full synthetic $15.00 1 can of BG MOA $20.00 vs. the diesel oil change cost which I will be doing between 5k to 7K miles, because I have seen what the extended oil change cycle has done to BMW and Mercedes engines. Rotella T6 now $30.00gl ($90.00) Filter low at $29.95 BG DOC $20.00 for a whooping $139.99 total, my cost without sales tax. Have a shop with Resale Tax Permit and wholesale accounts.
Today oil change, Dealer denied the TSB applied to any vehicle except 2016. He installed the 5w-40 but refused to install flash program as he "could not get approval to flash" do not know who he asked. Charged me to fix the third tail light. Mechanic failed to reset Oil Monitor. General fail by Dealer.

Dan Dooley

Jul 12, 2016
Truck Year
What is FCA? And, does anyone have a link to this information? I bought a new ecodiesel 3 days ago and I'm wondering if I should change the oil. I don't trust that the dealer did it.
If oil was changed at dealer I

options2

Jul 25, 2016
Truck Year
Just FYI....take it for what its worth.

I have a 2016 JGC ecodiesel, bought it in the begining of July, about 2 weeks before this bulletin was released. I decided to call the local Jeep dealer about this since its an FCA thing. After talking to the service tech for some time, there were able to find it. They did say it was listed as a Rapid Response for 2016s, and they changed the ones on the lot right away. However, when they ran my VIN the bulletin wasn't not attached to mine. They gave me some line that it was more for the European and Latin America vehicles. But then they proceeded to say that when I did my first oil change, they would change it to the new oil and do a ECM flash upgrade. They also said that I didn't need to do it right away, and could wait until 10k miles.

So this had me even more confused. If it wasnt attached to my VIN, then why are they going to do it anyways? Why are other unsold 2016s getting immediately changed on the lot, but mine doesnt need to be done until whenever I come in? I agree with some others here.......and its not just FCA.......dealers tend to be the least informed. I mean when I called the dealer about this, they didnt seem to know anything about it....and it came out in July.

Last edited:

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
Just FYI....take it for what its worth.

I have a 2016 JGC ecodiesel, bought it in the begining of July, about 2 weeks before this builtin was released. I decided to call the local Jeep dealer about this since its an FCA thing. After talking to the service tech for some time, there were able to find it. They did say it was listed as a Rapid Response for 2016s, and they changed the ones on the lot right away. However, when they ran my VIN the builtin wasn't not attached to mine. They gave me some line that it was more for the European and Latin America vehicles. But then they proceeded to say that when I did my first oil change, they would change it to the new oil and do a ECM flash upgrade. They also said that I didn't need to do it right away, and could wait until 10k miles.

So this had me even more confused. If it wasnt attached to my VIN, then why are they going to do it anyways? Why are other unsold 2016s getting immediately changed on the lot, but mine doesnt need to be done until whenever I come in? I agree with some others here.......and its not just FCA.......dealers tend to be the least informed. I mean when I called the dealer about this, they didnt seem to know anything about it....and it came out in July.
FCA wouldn't have changed the oil spec unless the old spec was causing damage to engines. Get that shit out immediately and use 5-40. That's my advice.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
FCA wouldn't have changed the oil spec unless the old spec was causing damage to engines. Get that shit out immediately and use 5-40. That's my advice.

Hence the class action lawsuit perhaps.

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year

Right. I have also seen a drop in my average MPGs. Rotella T is not a high efficiency oil like the MS-11106 oils were. I was averaging mid-to-high 27, now I'm mid 25s.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
I personally haven't seen any drop in mileage, I'm assuming as with all diesel engines in passenger vehicles, my fuel economy is going to suffer a bit with the winter blended fuel now and until April in my region

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
The fuel economy drop some people are seeing is due to the software update for the transmission. They are trying to keep the rpms up more to protect the bottom end is what I was told.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
don't know if it adds a little or any fuel to this whole fire, went and had the dealer do an oil change and whatever else they say they do when they change the oil (bought the lifetime oil change deal when I bought the pickup $500, couldn't pass it up) and when I got the receipt it said 5w30 oil on it, I had the oil "update" done and it was 5w40 Rotella. I called the guy out on it as nicely as I could and he said the 5w40 Rotella is in it. I want to believe him, because he didn't skip a beat and looked me in the eyes. Another weird thing is the dealer here isn't giving the guys with 14's the free oil change, or selling them Rotella T6, they are selling them a 5w40 version of the EURO L, don't know if it's any better than the 5w30 or not, just a little interesting to me. I had them change the fuel filter too, right at close to 15,000 miles only cost $63.00 to have them change it, seemed like more than fair to me.

fhedrickjr

Dec 15, 2016
Truck Year
Hmmmmmmm....I need to check with my dealership. Picked mine up in February 2016 and just got my first oil change in November. Nothing at all was said. Paid for the whole thing. To be continued.....

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hmmmmmmm....I need to check with my dealership. Picked mine up in February 2016 and just got my first oil change in November. Nothing at all was said. Paid for the whole thing. To be continued.....
They can look at your VIN and see if you're "qualified" for the new oil.

fhedrickjr

Dec 15, 2016
Truck Year
They can look at your VIN and see if you're "qualified" for the new oil.
They can and they did. Just got off the phone with them and he said "it depends on when and where it was manufactured". (Different engine lots maybe?) I looked again at the service papers and it DOES say that the 5w-40 was put in. It also said "checked for all available computer updates, None available."
Went on a trip for Thanksgiving down 95 to 70 to 340 to 81 to 64. 447 miles to my cousins driveway, just over half a tank. Fueled up at Lexington, went to DE and Broomall PA then back to de then back South. Fueled up in Lexington again 640 Miles and took on 23.36 Gallons. I think I did pretty well!! I have noticed that my "current average" is a tiny bit off but when looking at the overall for the vehicle, it is almost spot on. That average MPH is wacko too. I spent a huge amount of time between 65-75 MPH. DANG IT, I reset my trip B which had the hours and mileage since I had picked her up!! Oh well....

Attachments

• 20161125_170249.jpg
    20161125_170249.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 15

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
They can and they did. Just got off the phone with them and he said "it depends on when and where it was manufactured". (Different engine lots maybe?) I looked again at the service papers and it DOES say that the 5w-40 was put in. It also said "checked for all available computer updates, None available."

Wow, what a load of BS! Manufacturing hasn't moved, engine production hasn't moved. What crap. I hate when people make up random excuses for things they don't understand. All it does is cause frustration and confusion for owners.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
Just to see if local dealer had a clue I called and asked what oil they're putting in ecodiesel vehicles when doing changes and they said 16's get 5w-40, everything else gets the 5w-30 still, then he went on to tell me he heard they're going back to the 5w-30 spec, but hadn't heard anything official

Older Slower Wiser

Dec 10, 2016
Truck Year
The recommended 5w30 oil strength / shear resistance is better than the T6. The lighter weight oil is also more efficient at removing heat from bearing surfaces. If you have time and want to know a little more about what oil might better protect your engine from wear read this, https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

fhedrickjr

Dec 15, 2016
Truck Year
The recommended 5w30 oil strength / shear resistance is better than the T6. The lighter weight oil is also more efficient at removing heat from bearing surfaces. If you have time and want to know a little more about what oil might better protect your engine from wear read this, https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/
VERY interesting reading, thank you for that!! I don't even remember seeing Rotella T6 in the wear ratings chart. My reading for wear resistance shows me that 0w20 Quaker State Ultimate Durability has more wear protection than just about any other oil out there (unless you can find a supply of 0w40 Mobil 1 "FS" European Car Formula). It rated INCREDIBLE for wear prevention, even at higher temperatures, and, as you said, flows better so it "draws heat away more quickly from crucial rod/crank bearing areas, resulting in lower sump temperatures.." Who would have thought......?

Last edited: