• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Pennzoil Ultra Euro Oil 10w40 vs Shell T-6 10w40

Chris J

Jan 14, 2017
Truck Year
I bought my RAM 1500 Eco Diesel Oct 31, 2016 and was told that the dealer upgraded oil weight to 10w40.
Witch they apparently did. But upon checking oil at home on a level surface...it was way over the max range on the dip stick. So I drained out about a quart to get dipstick to read correctly at operating temp after sitting for 15 minutes. Next morning dipstick read minimum when I first pulled dipstick out, but after putting dipstick in again it read max....hmmm. So called dealer ship and they offered to change the oil to make sure all is good with proper amount of oil in engine. They put in the Pennzoil Ultra Euro 10w40. I checked oil level next morning with same results as before. So I drove the truck 3,000 and recorded max oil temps of

Oil=208 F, Cool-204F, Trans=174F

Then I changed oil to Shell T-6 10w40 and noticed higher max oil temps of

Oil=218 F, Cool-206F, Trans=185F

plus noticed PSI was a degree or two higher with T-6 oil then with the Pennzoil. Ambient temps were the same and radiator is at full mark for both oil reading.

Not sure which oil to choose? But did like the slightly higher PSI.

R Stanley

Dec 22, 2016
Truck Year
Unless pennzoil recently introduced ultra euro oil in 10w40, it was 5w30. Have not heard of 10w40 in the ultra euro. So I would check with dealer and find out for sure what they used.

SLT

Mar 28, 2016
Truck Year
I'm still running Pennzoil Euro L 5W-30. It says on the Bottle specially made for Diesels but has no API certification for Diesel on it. I had a bigger supply of Pennzoil on Hand and with temperatures at around -30*C I thought it be OK to use it up. I have the Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 in the Shop
what my Dealer suggested. I don't know why the change, nobody seems to know for sure why. My understanding is Pennzoil was the one to protect the hi-tech Exhaust System. In any case I feel better about the T6 Oil.
Some Members posted about Temperature. Mine runs at Oil 108*C and Coolant at 112*C. Too high for my liking, but what do I know. Maybe that is normal for the Eco Diesel.

Dcullen

Sep 22, 2016
Truck Year
Taking my 2015 Ram in tomorrow for 20k
The 5-40 oil is what is current spec,correct?
Looks like they did the PCM regrogram on a previous non oil change visit.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Taking my 2015 Ram in tomorrow for 20k
The 5-40 oil is what is current spec,correct?
Looks like they did the PCM regrogram on a previous non oil change visit.

Yep!

New Requirement as of July 2016
You can now use 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such as MOPAR or Shell Rotella that meets FCA Material Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 or ACEA E9/E7 or ACEA A3/B4 engine oil category is required.

See this thread for more info:
http://www.ecodieselram.com/forum/t...tion-requirement-for-ram-1500-ecodiesels.820/

d2305

Feb 1, 2017
Truck Year
Rotella T6 is cheaper and easy to find. Some auto parts have the filter too.