• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ryan

Jun 30, 2015
Truck Year
I'm in a pretty bad situation. November 21st, I dove to work like any other day no issues, later to the bank in another town. I was completely out of fuel, 0 miles left on the display when I left the bank. I drove directly to a Chevron station where I pumped $60 of diesel fuel. I took off from there and drove 7.2 miles and parked for about 45 min. Got back in and drove 4.5 miles. I noticed when I got on the freeway initially leaving the gas station hitting the throttle seems sluggish. After leaving my second stop it still felt the same and suddenly the transmission started downshifting, from 8th to 7th and then to 6th all the way to 5th and made a loud grinding noise and died. I pulled to the side the road and noticed that the temperature was slightly above normal, but not in the red. When trying to restart the truck is sound like the engine was locked up watching the engine voltage would drop from 12 down to nine and even 6 V when turning the key. It was locked up :( I had it towed to the dealer where they inspected it and called to tell me that I had pumped gasoline. So I drove to the dealer and showed him my receipt for fuel that day, it said 60$ pump 3 diesel. He then insisted that the station had bad diesel fuel so I called weight and measures and they actually went out and took two samples had it tested and it came back normal. They are now sending out their own sample from the fuel taken out of my vehicle to test it as well. See photos below, they literally one $17,000 to replace this engine. Has anyone heard of this happening! What the hell did I do wrong? It has 20,000 miles on it and it's has been serviced by the dealer. It seems so obvious after refueling the truck it breaks down, but could that not be the case. i'm just waiting to hear what they say about their sample. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2602.PNG
    IMG_2602.PNG
    190.6 KB · Views: 22

John

Nov 13, 2015
Assuming the fuel was good and it sure sounds like it was, I'm thinking a blown engine from a bottom end failure. It's not at all uncommon with the ecodiesel. I hope things work out well for you.

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
I agree. Sounds like engine failure totally unrelated to the fuel stop.

I'm not a mechanic, but why would the motor seize from contaminated fuel? Wouldn't it just stop running without a total engine seize?

Ryan

Jun 30, 2015
Truck Year
Assuming the fuel was good and it sure sounds like it was, I'm thinking a blown engine from a bottom end failure. It's not at all uncommon with the ecodiesel. I hope things work out well for you.
Thank you

Ryan

Jun 30, 2015
Truck Year
Did you go in the back at the dealer and have them show you it was gasoline? Either the dealer or station isn't wanting to take ownership.
They took their sample from the engine and put it in a Gatorade bottle (smh) and one in a Pyrex measuring glass. I doubt their samples are legitimate. I was there when they took them. I also have a sample from that day myself that has been yet to be tested, but I think we are past that, they are just looking for a way out now. So pissed...

Ryan

Jun 30, 2015
Truck Year
I agree. Sounds like engine failure totally unrelated to the fuel stop.

I'm not a mechanic, but why would the motor seize from contaminated fuel? Wouldn't it just stop running without a total engine seize?
You have a good point, maybe loose an injector, but the whole engine? If so... then that engine is a pile of crap.

Ryan

Jun 30, 2015
Truck Year
I wouldn't pay for any of it, that's for sure.
Oh I won't give a penny because I don't feel like I did anything wrong. I just don't want this to drag out... I miss my baby :(

fhedrickjr

Dec 15, 2016
Truck Year
Uggh!!! Scary stuff!! Have you found out anything else yet???

Ryan

Jun 30, 2015
Truck Year
Uggh!!! Scary stuff!! Have you found out anything else yet???
Yes actually today I drove to the dealer because those assholes wouldn't call me back. I met with my service advisor and he said they received the test results today and that it was uncontaminated number two diesel fuel. So they are reaching out to Chrysler to approve a new engine and the labor cost. He didn't explain what exactly took place inside the engine to cause it to fail like that but I will follow up when they pull it out and ask. And I was reading online about people having an issues with the connection rod cap? but I don't know know that is the case.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Yes actually today I drove to the dealer because those assholes wouldn't call me back. I met with my service advisor and he said they received the test results today and that it was uncontaminated number two diesel fuel. So they are reaching out to Chrysler to approve a new engine and the labor cost. He didn't explain what exactly took place inside the engine to cause it to fail like that but I will follow up when they pull it out and ask. And I was reading online about people having an issues with the connection rod cap? but I don't know know that is the case.

So they told you it was bad fuel, and now they're saying it isn't?

Ryan

Jun 30, 2015
Truck Year
So they told you it was bad fuel, and now they're saying it isn't?
Yup, isn't that nice of them? They gave me a chance to pay for it myself before fully investigating the issue :) Shaver Chrysler in Thousand oaks CA so ya know.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Yup, isn't that nice of them? They gave me a chance to pay for it myself before fully investigating the issue :) Shaver Chrysler in Thousand oaks CA so ya know.
It's not like it's costing them money, they are being paid for the warranty work.
After they admitted a lie, I would of been hot for sure.

Ryan

Jun 30, 2015
Truck Year
It's not like it's costing them money, they are being paid for the warranty work.
After they admitted a lie, I would of been hot for sure.
I went through a lot of stress because of that. There's no way I can afford to put a new engine. If I didn't go through all the trouble to dispute it, Think about the money it would've cost to me... not cool. When you buy a new truck you expect not to break down on the freeway right? I was so disappointed...

Last edited by a moderator:

fhedrickjr

Dec 15, 2016
Truck Year
I looked at a video last night on youtube that shows a failure of one of the camshaft gears for the timing chain. Spun on the shaft, out of time and BAM! Not very confidence inspiring. Also saw a related video where someone will "bulletproof" the 3.0 L but didn't look deep enough to find out the cost. Good luck man!! Keep us posted!
Since mine only came with 3yr/36K mile warranty, seriously thinking about pricing an extended warranty!

fhedrickjr

Dec 15, 2016
Truck Year
It's not a bad idea, if you plan on keeping it "stock". As in, no tuning, etc.
Oh, trust me, I would LOVE to tune it. But for $800 dollars, the GDE tune is out of reach and the $400-500 tuners are out there but........not sure how well they work. On the fence for now but I surely don't want to get stuck with the cost of a new engine. I guess that has me leaning towards keeping it stock for now!