• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Poor MPG

BigHoss

Jan 29, 2018
Truck Year
I have owned my '15 Ram EcoDiesel Big Horn edition (34,000 miles) for about a month now and I love everything about the truck except I feel I'm not getting great MPG. So far, through 2 tanks of fuel, I have averaged between 18 and 19.5 MPG. I haven't towed yet. I am not an aggressive driver. (I drive more like an old man) I have a mix of highway miles (65-70 MPH) and driving around town. If I watch the "live" MPG on the dash while on relatively flat highway, I seem to stay right around 20-23 MPG. I hear of people getting over 30 MPG in some instances on the highway. Any ideas what could cause my low MPG and any suggestions to help correct the problem.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
A lot of variables to fuel mileage. Short trips, hilly terrain, etc will affect the MPG. With that said, it does seem a little low. Start with the basics, air filter, fuel filter, etc and see if your mileage improves.

EcoDEric

Nov 19, 2016
Truck Year
I have owned my '15 Ram EcoDiesel Big Horn edition (34,000 miles) for about a month now and I love everything about the truck except I feel I'm not getting great MPG. So far, through 2 tanks of fuel, I have averaged between 18 and 19.5 MPG. I haven't towed yet. I am not an aggressive driver. (I drive more like an old man) I have a mix of highway miles (65-70 MPH) and driving around town. If I watch the "live" MPG on the dash while on relatively flat highway, I seem to stay right around 20-23 MPG. I hear of people getting over 30 MPG in some instances on the highway. Any ideas what could cause my low MPG and any suggestions to help correct the problem.
Which differential do you have? I am running the "less torque" one (second option in the purchase - higher mileage) My EcoD is a 2017 getting an average on Fuelly of 24.9. Avg 100 miles per day - highway. Cannot remember the exact options - normal is 3.21, mine is 3.92?

Ofishl1

Oct 10, 2015
Truck Year
I running a 4 inch lift on a 2017 with Ridge Grappler 35s barely get to 20mpg in front of a 3.92 rear end..but thats what I expected and mpg price paid for these mods ..still better than the Hemi with same mods..and tows very well.

Shawn Thomas

Jun 1, 2018
Truck Year
so i consistently get aroun 24-25 mpg on the highway, and 23.5 - 24 mpg around town. the other day i was idling for about 30 minutes in a parking lot, (92deg F* outside) and then drove backroads home. i dropped to 22 mpg. the next trip i took, i hammered it on the local highway for about 10 miles. (80 MPH) i think i had some soot starting to collect in the filter that hadnt been burned out from the idling, and subsequently regained what i lost in avg MPG. could be a fluke, but seemed to work for me.

Nek

Jun 20, 2018
Truck Year
So after reading this thread I'm guessing I am not getting what I should either. 18-19 on the dash. Avg speed of 47. Supposedly an oil change was performed before I bought this vehicle a couple weeks ago, at 117k miles. I also put in a K&N air filter. I'm guessing maybe my next steps are fuel filter and MAP/MAF sensor cleanings?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
So after reading this thread I'm guessing I am not getting what I should either. 18-19 on the dash. Avg speed of 47. Supposedly an oil change was performed before I bought this vehicle a couple weeks ago, at 117k miles. I also put in a K&N air filter. I'm guessing maybe my next steps are fuel filter and MAP/MAF sensor cleanings?

Fuel filters can make a huge difference in my experience. Also, just general maintenance.

Nek

Jun 20, 2018
Truck Year
Haven't done my fuel filter yet...but maybe this will help...20180707_183535.jpg 20180707_183324.jpg

Pizza04

Mar 4, 2018
Truck Year
Where’s that at? I’d like to check mine and see if it’s all sooty. I’m sure I could figure it out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shawn Thomas

Jun 1, 2018
Truck Year
Where’s that at? I’d like to check mine and see if it’s all sooty. I’m sure I could figure it out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s the wired connection right after the air box on the intake

Bgbdwlf2500

Jun 24, 2018
Truck Year
Took this at 4 am this morning, didnt realize the flash was on but you can still see the important info. This is 2 weeks of a 55 mph cruise for 20 miles each way and normal stop and go for 10 miles each way alternating days so 5 days of stop and go and 5 days of back road cruise. It's easy for me to gain back the 1 mpg I lose on the stop and go days on the cruise days. 2017, 3.55 4x4 stock crew cab. I can get up to 28 at around 75 mph. I'm not aggressive on acceleration and I use the instant mpg to drive with, I accelerate to speed and then use the instant mpg to base my throttle input. If the instant mpg is less than the average I back out the pedal slightly, trying to maintain a cruise not be using power.
15234ed844ab9147e29b1493bc4440f2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Will^2

Oct 11, 2018
Truck Year
I have a 2015 ED with 84k. I have owned it since new and never had a single issue. About 6 months ago I noticed my mileage has gone from 26.5 down to 22mpg. I drive consistently the same route and same driving style. All maintenance is performed on time oil, Air and fuel filters. Could this dirty MAF sensor be my issue? I have also read about others clearing their EGR tube at the same time? Where is that tube located and will this also help?

Gunpackingsaint

May 21, 2016
Truck Year
I running a 4 inch lift on a 2017 with Ridge Grappler 35s barely get to 20mpg in front of a 3.92 rear end..but thats what I expected and mpg price paid for these mods ..still better than the Hemi with same mods..and tows very well.
Same setup. I'm getting 16.5-18 in the city and 19-21 highway.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk