• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Possible new guy

Xander50

Dec 6, 2017
Truck Year
hey guys I have been lurking on this forum for about a week now and I have found a couple of ED that I am thinking of purchasing this week. The main one I’m looking at is a 2014 Lone star edition 4x4. Only downfall is 70k miles. However it is a diesel and I have a lot of experience with the 6.0 ford and 5.9 dodge common rail. I had great experiences with both. Now I don’t need a 3/4 ton and I’m between this dodge ED and a brand new F150 2.7 ecoboost.

My question is how reliable have they been for y’all?

Is there anything I should look when checking out this truck tomorrow?

Has anyone ran programmers to generate more power for a period of time to call it reliable? With my 6.0 I ran the SCT canned tunes and it really woke that truck up on performance and it was great!

From what I have read most seem to be problem free, great MPG, and great trucks.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome! Buying a used vehicle, maintenance records are always a plus, but for a EcoDiesel it's a must. Most folks don't have any problems and are over 100K.

Continue to read around.. you'll find different opinions, but remember most folks sign up on a forum to complain.. not brag. :)

Enjoy it here, we're glad to have you.

Xander50

Dec 6, 2017
Truck Year
Welcome! Buying a used vehicle, maintenance records are always a plus, but for a EcoDiesel it's a must. Most folks don't have any problems and are over 100K.

Continue to read around.. you'll find different opinions, but remember most folks sign up on a forum to complain.. not brag. :)

Enjoy it here, we're glad to have you.
I appreciate it bud. I’m decently mechanically inclined, I bulletproofed my 6.0 in my driveway without having to pull the cab. And I’m pretty stoked to go check this truck out tomorrow. I haven’t purchased a truck in about 3 years and I can’t believe how much truck prices have sky rocketed. So we shall see what happens tomorrow. But ya I’ll try to get the maintenance information from the dealer when if I can. Is there anything in particular I need to look for?

Xander50

Dec 6, 2017
Truck Year
It looks like the MAP sensor and cat were replaced within the last 7k miles of the previous owner owning the truck.

Xander50

Dec 6, 2017
Truck Year
Ok so after doing more reading on here tonight I stumbled across the thread regarding people blowing their motors at a alarming rate. Is this all ED or just certain years? Anything to prevent this? I’m pretty religious with fluids and doing that all myself as my 6.0 was finicky and I changed that oil every 5k miles just in case.

Xander50

Dec 6, 2017
Truck Year
Considering just going 2013 outdoorsman with a hemi now lol. After doing more research.

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
A small percentage fail certainly it's not as doomed as the Ford 6.0s but more fail than should. At 60k you have 40k of warranty left and most that fail do so early. A Hemi warranty is done at 60k. Fwiw just turned 370,000 with mine towing Airstreams from mfg to dealerships mostly Ohio to west coast. Only minor repairs.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Considering just going 2013 outdoorsman with a hemi now lol. After doing more research.
I bought my 2014 used with 20K on the clock a little over a year ago, now has 61K, got the CAT and DPF replaced under warranty and other than the mileage drop after the flash reprogram with the oil grade change I have had no real issues. The codes for Service Throttle have proven to be nothing in my truck but have been a fuel injector nightmare for others. I was looking for a GM product when I found this vehicle and have not regretted not getting the GM truck for a minute. Of course it helps that my son bought the 2014 GM product that I was looking for and I get to compare on a weekly basis. VernDiesel is a hero with good maintenance practices and good driving skills.

Man if you bullet proofed a 6.0 in the driveway you have this covered. Of course due diligence is always the best advice when buying used vehicles. I just bought a 2915 Jeep Grand Cherokee Outland with the ED for my wife last month. That so I could drive my truck, she kept "borrowing" it.

A coworker purchased a RAM Crew Cab 4x4 SLT with the HEMI and I also get to compare the 6 to 8mpg difference in his mileage to mine. I also agree with BoostN that most people join to complain not brag, I joined to learn and judged the risk, as a machine shop owner I realize that every engine system has a weak gene somewhere and I normally get to see it but at the same time it is the proverbial 10% hard case that I normally get to see. If I was to make purchasing decisions based upon what I see in the shop I would still be riding my Schwinn. Good Luck.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
You need to look out for the Ecodiesel cheerleaders, Some claim High mileage survival , But don't disclose Use or Illegal tunes in the name of How great the 3.0 is ...Any diesel can make 500K miles or 10K Hrs at hwy use. If your Buying used OAs history would be mandatory IMO. FCA has something running in the background, Many of Us have seen this before, after the DOJ sentence is publicly disclosed I'm sure FCA will be in damage recovery mode... if you can wait I think it will be worth it.. The forums should be view as touchtone.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Other tune makers follow the law... the disclosures are far more transparent ..Its the owner that buys the device ,Tunes and installs the tunes...They have spent the extra $$$$$$ to make the device and follow the law..(Or at least but in more effort to conform to the laws that regulate the health and welfare of the environment) .Every downloader comes with this warning during the install.

WARNING: This item is not legal for sale or use on pollution-controlled motor vehicles anywhere in the United States. Legal ONLY for off-road competition vehicles....

1 You own the vehicle Y/N
2 You own the Device Y/N
3 You are 18 Years or older Y/N
4 This device will be use for OFF-ROAD RACE ONLY Y/N.

GDE does NOT own the PCM, GDE does not own the vehicle, GDE does NOT disclose that the COC is no longer valid ( COC) certificate of conformity) they leave the factory COC on the PCM. Its the cunning and the deception that GDE uses that most distributing to Me..Its this type/style of selling that brought the EPA down on all of us. Almost all of the other sellers are putting far more effort into transparency on the laws. To answer your question, I recognize the effort to conform more than the conformity Which GDE efforts equal One web Page, that has 0 value...By the way how many Ecodiesel did you see at the track in 2014-2017 racing or pulling ..So NO .

The 3.0 if hero Status will perform well in many cases with simple maintenance.. Believing GDE is going to saved your 3.0 is fancy thinking all the while increasing GDE bank account.

All this being said I understand that the Bluetec devices add to the cost of ownership, and when they fail You have My blessing to delete , Why should laws that mandate life not come with laws that mandate long warranty time frames?

About 1 minute in

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
Wow TC after reading your last two posts I was a little taken aback by well I don't know your thought or justification process. You apparently have a thing for GDE. Personally I think if you don't like them or their product don't buy it. PPEI is the other tuner that does what I would think is a proper ECU tune vs a piggy back chip. Per your link I went to Bully dog's site no listing for the ED. What gives?

And look out for Ecodiesel cheerleaders? It's an Ecodiesel site for cripes sake. What are these bad cheerleaders supposed to do that the reader is to look out for? Some claim high mile survival? Well that must be me as I stated In this thread that I had 370,000 on mine which I do and there is pics on this forum showing that. I don't think that is a big deal only a good sign that maybe the gloom & doomers who promote the idea that they are all ticking time bombs about to self destruct don't have it cut in stone.

So I re read my post am I the bad cheerleader? You said they don't disclose truck use & whether they have a tune. But in that post I said; with mine towing Airstreams from the Mfg to dealerships mostly Ohio to the west coast. Also in previous posts here on the forum I have said that I have a GDE tune. Then you said in the name of how great the 3.0 is. Show me where I said that. Personally I think all diesels should be capable of that kind of service life so engine greatness is not in my picture. Only expectation of a reasonable service life no matter what the Debbie doomers say.

Look man I have never done anything to you or said the first bad thing about you. I don't know who pissed in your wheaties what your deal is with GDE or EDs reaching moderately high miles but leave me out of it. I've done nothing here but share my experience of my truck and share what I have learned useing it as a transporter. Anyone can view my posts. IMO nobody needs this crap just share & learn or don't.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Vern You own 1 Truck You are also Bias Mod Just like The other Mods (Except for Crash) over at 1500diesel.com ....You attack anyone that expose GDE on the facts, Trying to silent them .......Well I don't think your up to task Here or just about anywhere else....except your dark territory You ban anyone that speaks about the short comings of the 3.0... IMO if you would state that your Tuned truck that is NONE COC compliant and use in HWY use has been trouble free, That's the correct statement, Have their been other ED with 300K that are factory COC compliant?.....I know of two others and a few More nearing the 200K miles mark. You Claim over at Dark territory GDE is the ticket well .. Their are 3.0s at 400HP tune that are power houses None GDE....and Vern Go... find 1 statement I made over at Dark Territory 1500diesel.com that I made that was NOT truthful and Post the link....You can't.. long Before your GDE god claim MS11106 was not the best available lube who told owners to switch to T6 TC Diesel, Who claimed that the 3.0 had QC issues Back in March of 2015 TC Diesel, Who claimed the 3.0 ED had conditional software 2 Years before the EPA/DOJ filed its Civil suite in Federal court ..TC Diesel. You and the Mods will try and silent anyone that speaks truthfully about the 3.0 Problems. GDE call Me a lair at 1500diesel.com and that word to Me is fighting time..GDE Started this...Heck If I wanted GDE close down they are 1 Call away .like I said Many Times I consider the EPA out of control with certain regulations...Vern Why do you come over to this site to share Your Opinion? Where did I state your a bad Cheerleader? Vern you call facts crap C'mon You denied that the 3.0 turbulent pass is going to get better? buy burying its problems? How many times Have I stated this the 3.0 Status is Hero or Zero. You get the Zero and it will bankrupt you.. can you afford to be without your Money Maker for weeks to Months Yearly?

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Vern You own 1 Truck You are also Bias Mod Just like The other Mods (Except for Crash) over at 1500diesel.com ....You attack anyone that expose GDE on the facts, Trying to silent them .......Well I don't think your up to task Here or just about anywhere else....except your dark territory You ban anyone that speaks about the short comings of the 3.0... IMO if you would state that your Tuned truck that is NONE COC compliant and use in HWY use has been trouble free, That's the correct statement, Have their been other ED with 300K that are factory COC compliant?.....I know of two others and a few More nearing the 200K miles mark. You Claim over at Dark territory GDE is the ticket well .. Their are 3.0s at 400HP tune that are power houses None GDE....and Vern Go... find 1 statement I made over at Dark Territory 1500diesel.com that I made that was NOT truthful and Post the link....You can't.. long Before your GDE god claim MS11106 was not the best available lube who told owners to switch to T6 TC Diesel, Who claimed that the 3.0 had QC issues Back in March of 2015 TC Diesel, Who claimed the 3.0 ED had conditional software 2 Years before the EPA/DOJ filed its Civil suite in Federal court ..TC Diesel. You and the Mods will try and silent anyone that speaks truthfully about the 3.0 Problems. GDE call Me a lair at 1500diesel.com and that word to Me is fighting time..GDE Started this...Heck If I wanted GDE close down they are 1 Call away .like I said Many Times I consider the EPA out of control with certain regulations...Vern Why do you come over to this site to share Your Opinion? Where did I state your a bad Cheerleader? Vern you call facts crap C'mon You denied that the 3.0 turbulent pass is going to get better? buy burying its problems? How many times Have I stated this the 3.0 Status is Hero or Zero. You get the Zero and it will bankrupt you.. can you afford to be without your Money Maker for weeks to Months Yearly?

Kind of a painful post !

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Hey. I tried to Base My morality on Reason not emotions, Emotions generally cloud good Judgment.

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
A small percentage fail certainly it's not as doomed as the Ford 6.0s but more fail than should. At 60k you have 40k of warranty left and most that fail do so early. A Hemi warranty is done at 60k. Fwiw just turned 370,000 with mine towing Airstreams from mfg to dealerships mostly Ohio to west coast. Only minor repairs.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
TC Diesel,

I don't plan to spar with you but I feel the need to respond.

You may be right or you may be wrong. That's not my point
Your verbose posts are insulting and without merit for the Forum.
Lots of negative, pompous rhetoric and no help.

Vern Diesel has a long history of being factual, honest and helpful across many forums.
Your negative remarks regarding Vern are likewise despicable.

Take some time to "smell the roses", they do exist.

Last edited: