• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Powder coat stock 20" chrome wheels

Greywolf07

Dec 18, 2017
Truck Year
Anyone powder coated their OEM wheels? I got a couple quotes of around $150 per wheel for doing a gloss black. Please post pics if any.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Anyone powder coated their OEM wheels? I got a couple quotes of around $150 per wheel for doing a gloss black. Please post pics if any.

Welcome! It seems like we've had a few on here, maybe they'll chime in and help out.

John

Nov 13, 2015

Are they the chrome clad wheels? If so, I think you will have to find an option for center caps as the plastic chrome will no longer provide the center cap.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Which wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greywolf07

Dec 18, 2017
Truck Year
Are they the chrome clad wheels? If so, I think you will have to find an option for center caps as the plastic chrome will no longer provide the center cap.
Yep, they are. I thought you could powder coat the plastic center caps as well?

John

Nov 13, 2015
Yep, they are. I thought you could powder coat the plastic center caps as well?

After removing the plastic chrome there's nowhere for the center cap to snap back into. I do recall someone finding a cap that would fit an unclad stock wheel.

Greywolf07

Dec 18, 2017
Truck Year
After removing the plastic chrome there's nowhere for the center cap to snap back into. I do recall someone finding a cap that would fit an unclad stock wheel.
ah ok, makes sense.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
As far as I know you paint plastic, not powder coat. Powder coating requires an electrical charge for it to stick to the metal if I’m not mistaken.

Greywolf07

Dec 18, 2017
Truck Year
As far as I know you paint plastic, not powder coat. Powder coating requires an electrical charge for it to stick to the metal if I’m not mistaken.

They strip off the plastic clad to get down to the alloy. Talked to another shop and they would charge $185 per wheel. Almost cheaper to buy new wheels.

John

Nov 13, 2015

You're thinking of the electrostatic paint method. Powder coat requires heating in an oven.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
You're thinking of the electrostatic paint method. Powder coat requires heating in an oven.
Gotcha. Thanks for the correction.