• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

PSA: FCA Changes Oil Specification Requirement for Ram 1500 EcoDiesels

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
So would the Blue flame I'm using be kind of the best of both world's? Especially considering I'm in cold climate and FCA Canada is still calling for 5w30 (I'm 10 miles south of the Border in Mn)

So I have a cj4 full synthetic low ash and saps but in a 5-30 weight?

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
As long as it maintains that 30w viscosity throughout its life in the motor, a lot of the 40w oils shear viscosity down to about a 30w at the end of its life cycle, I'm not saying all of them do, it's just a broad generalization, so if all other things stay true, a 30w could shear to as low as a 20w and provide inferior protection, is this the case all the time I don't think so, but it is possible

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
As long as it maintains that 30w viscosity throughout its life in the motor, a lot of the 40w oils shear viscosity down to about a 30w at the end of its life cycle, I'm not saying all of them do, it's just a broad generalization, so if all other things stay true, a 30w could shear to as low as a 20w and provide inferior protection, is this the case all the time I don't think so, but it is possible
That's why I change around 7-8k intervals and don't stretch 10-15

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
@bobcat67 I appreciate the help and feedback regarding all this. A little reassurance goes a long ways.

It's kind of hard to know that one is making the "right" decision when FCA won't even spit out why they changed requirements let alone if they really did or not.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
Oil is something I've been very passionate about since I've owned a vehicle. I'm by no means an expert, but I really enjoy researching those types of things, I have my own preferences as do most if not all other members on this forum. Even from a financial standpoint loosenin standards to allow 5w-40 makes sense for FCA, not only does it lower their overall expense when doing oil changes in house it also makes the ecodiesel a more lucrative engine option for new buyers. At over $200 a change at the dealer and over $110 for a DIY kit on eBay it wasn't a cheap endeavor to change the oil, running a 5w-40 synthetic will be expensive, but more affordable to the average person. I know I like the way $80-90 looks way better than $110+

Andy

Mar 18, 2016
Truck Year
All the drama about MS-11106 seems to be over with FCA changing their oil recommendation recently. All the new owners manual diesel supplements now say:

We recommend you use 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such as MOPAR or Shell Rotella that meets FCA Material Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 or ACEA E9/E7 or ACEA A3/B4 engine oil category is required.

This now aligns with the recommendations for the Cummins engines. CJ-4 is an API specification for low-ash formulation motor oils and can include 10w and 15w oils in both synthetic and non-synthetic formulations. Importantly though only synthetic 5w40 is approved for our engines.

ACEA is the European equivalent of API and their A3/B4 specification is also a low-ash formulation.
After reading this I called RAM customer service and I did speak with the gentleman named Skyler who confirmed that for the 2015 and up ram eco-diesel the new oil requirement is the CJ-4. I asked him what was the reason behind the change but he could not give me an answer all he said that from now on I should be using the new type of recommended oil . Does anyone have any information on why this happened and if by using the previously recommended oil has any potential damage to the engine ? Thanks everybody .

John

Nov 13, 2015
TSB for oil spec

Attachments

• TSB-18-078-16 Oil Spec Change.pdf
    110.3 KB · Views: 90

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
So the TSB only pertains to trucks built 1/1/16 - 6/20/16??? Makes no sense....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Ok so I don't quite understand for sure; is this a free oil change and flash for all owners? Or are they going to charge us for materials?

Also has anyone noticed their BOM for the RAM truck is only 10qts? 2.5gal. Even though oil capacity is stated as 10.5qts and/or 10L

John

Nov 13, 2015
the people who had posted the TSB also stated

Currently the TSB is for 2016 trucks since they're the only ones with the corresponding reflashes available. The others (2014-15) will likely follow in a month or so, depending on new flashes availability.
Oil spec change applies to all.

The engine flash makes the fan run quite often at noticable speeds based on oil temp. The trans flash has shift schedule changes so that it won't run at low engine speeds anymore (1200-1400rpm).

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
the people who had posted the TSB also stated

Currently the TSB is for 2016 trucks since they're the only ones with the corresponding reflashes available. The others (2014-15) will likely follow in a month or so, depending on new flashes availability.
Oil spec change applies to all.

The engine flash makes the fan run quite often at noticable speeds based on oil temp. The trans flash has shift schedule changes so that it won't run at low engine speeds anymore (1200-1400rpm).
You mean I can't drive 55-63 in 8th gear anymore? Defeats the purpose of the 8 speed transmission for efficiency if the rpm's were too low

Andy

Mar 18, 2016
Truck Year
Ok so I don't quite understand for sure; is this a free oil change and flash for all owners? Or are they going to charge us for materials?

Also has anyone noticed their BOM for the RAM truck is only 10qts? 2.5gal. Even though oil capacity is stated as 10.5qts and/or 10L
I have been doing my own oil changes since I bought the truck new and I noticed that even after draining the oil from the pan and taking my time with it meaning that it was draining for well over half an hour when I refilled it with the recommended amount of 10.5 quarts it would be showing about an eighth of an inch to a quarter of an inch past full on the dipstick . So after I drained about the quart The level seemed to be OK . With my next oil change I only put 9.5 quarts in and the level was spot on the max indicator . Ever since then I have been filling with only 9.5 quarts and I am always at the Max fill level.

Andy

Mar 18, 2016
Truck Year
So the TSB only pertains to trucks built 1/1/16 - 6/20/16??? Makes no sense....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I called ram customer service and they have told me that the new oil specs apply to my truck as well however when I talk to the dealer they said that in their bulletin it only shows the change for the 2016 model . I am just as confused but I was told to wait a couple weeks and there should be some follow up bulletins about this so don't hurry to change your oil right away let's just wait to see what Chrysler will come up with this time .

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I have been doing my own oil changes since I bought the truck new and I noticed that even after draining the oil from the pan and taking my time with it meaning that it was draining for well over half an hour when I refilled it with the recommended amount of 10.5 quarts it would be showing about an eighth of an inch to a quarter of an inch past full on the dipstick . So after I drained about the quart The level seemed to be OK . With my next oil change I only put 9.5 quarts in and the level was spot on the max indicator . Ever since then I have been filling with only 9.5 quarts and I am always at the Max fill level.
The 2.5 gal jug of diesel oil I use now does just perfect for me

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
My favorite - unsubstantiated opinions stated as somehow factual. Can you point to a collection of UOAs that show blue flame is better? Have you compared HTHS, sulfated ash content?
BITOG usually has all sorts of VOA's and UOA's if you really care to know go look for yourself, that is my opinion you are correct, I don't personally know the difference in the 5w-30's I do know how their 15w-40's compare and the pennzoil is garbage compared to champion.

Last edited:

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
Yes BITOG does have lots and lots and lots of information - so why didn't you cite any of it in your proclamation? It isn't my job to chase down facts to back up your claims about Blue Flame oil. If you are going to make some big sweeping claim, at least have the decency to back it up.

Last edited:

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
Yes BITOG does have lots and lots and lots of information - so why didn't you cite any of it in your proclamation? It isn't my job to chase down facts to back up your claims. If you are going to make some big sweeping claim, at least have the decency to back it up.
I didn't make a big sweeping claim, I admitted it was an opinion, seems like you have a stick up your ass, am I advertising for Champion? I don't think so. If I want to state my opinion that the champion oil is better than than the Euro L, I am free to make that statement, I don't need to back it up at all. Oil preference is like brand of vehicle, I have an opinion and so do you and do you have proof that your choice is better than mine?