• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

PSA: FCA Changes Oil Specification Requirement for Ram 1500 EcoDiesels

John

Nov 13, 2015
the oil spec change is for all years. the flashes are for 2016's built before a certain date at this point in time. flashes for earlier years will follow.

polecat

Feb 11, 2016
Truck Year
Wow Polecat. That really sucks. I had to do a lemon law buyback before. It was a time consuming process. The manufacturer kept claiming I was modding the car and that was the reason so they were fighting it every step. It was a very expensive German car.

They finally gave in and settled with me after I saw had the same issue I brought it in for before I even left the dealer's lot from having it "fixed" yet again. What really ticked me off is how difficult they were being with me about it in the first place. To put this more in perspective, I'd spent over 400k with the manufacturer in 5 years on new vehicles. So to fight me over an issue like this was really stupid on their part. I got the car bought back and never bought another vehicle from that manufacturer since. They lost a lot of money on me.

If you have a long history with the company, long time ownership, a lot of their cars/trucks make sure you always bring this up with them. Keep records of everything and every call. Also point out you are describing your issues on all sorts of social media such as this forum, Facebook, etc. Make sure YOU know your responsibilities under the lemon laws in your state.

I always try and give the company a chance to take care of the issue first before I bring the big guns to bear. Don't forget you can also right the attorney general of your state as well if you aren't getting anywhere after 2 months or so. This process isn't normally quick.

Thanks for info . Seems as if all auto mfgs follow same rules . FC
A has spent enough on this vehicle with 2 lost sales I am sure of to have replaced . I have turned process over to attorney . Tennessee Lemon laws seem to be in favor of customer , but who knows when it comes to legal ?
Truck is now repaired , after 4 1/2 months . Major issue is fire report and Carfax history . Local dealer has told me they don't want vehicle as trade in because of that .
I have been posting on Ram Facebook ads . At first media reps responded assuring me I would be contacted within 24 hrs . Didn't happen . Found that after fire matter was turned over to legal .
Will post more as process slowly moves along .

CaptainMal

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
Wonderful documentation of a "run around".

Pity the poor folk with out a computer and having no interest in any of this forum stuff. There's no notice to owners mailed out. No way many owners will find this information.

Fortunately, what's written in the manuals will and has worked.

JD5284

Aug 5, 2016
Truck Year
Wow I bought my truck last week and have 456 miles on it so far so good no issues but reading all of this makes me wish I had kept my Tundra...
So those my truck need a flash to upgrade it to 5w40 ? Or being a 2016 it's already done, but great White's truck is also a week old and they want to change his oil?? I Gess I'm going to have to look in to this. Anyone know if there is a bild date that we need to look for or is the upgrade a must for the change.

Great White

Jul 28, 2016
Truck Year
The way I understand it is all the 14-16 is effected, but then again I didn't know about the flash upgrade till just now so who knows. The dealership was supposed to do the oil change before selling me the truck and was going to the next day had I not bought it when I did. So there's a 50/50 chance yours is already good to go. They talked like it was a recall item but when they ran my VIN nothing came up. Check with your service department about it, but if they are anything like mine they looked at me like I was crazy when I told them why I was there for an oil change till I got the manager involved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD5284

Aug 5, 2016
Truck Year
Yea I can see that happening I will definitely check into it , thx will let you know what I find out.

grayghost

Aug 12, 2016
Truck Year
New to forum and have enjoyed the oil discussion, what about Amsoil, has one of the highest TBN's?

upload_2016-8-13_13-58-34.png

Steve Armes

Aug 16, 2016
Truck Year
All the drama about MS-11106 seems to be over with FCA changing their oil recommendation recently. All the new owners manual diesel supplements now say:

We recommend you use 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such as MOPAR or Shell Rotella that meets FCA Material Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 or ACEA E9/E7 or ACEA A3/B4 engine oil category is required.

This now aligns with the recommendations for the Cummins engines. CJ-4 is an API specification for low-ash formulation motor oils and can include 10w and 15w oils in both synthetic and non-synthetic formulations. Importantly though only synthetic 5w40 is approved for our engines.

ACEA is the European equivalent of API and their A3/B4 specification is also a low-ash formulation.
I used Amsoil in my Powerstroke. Any opinions on this brand for th eEcodiesel? I'm new to this game. Just paid $200 for my first service at the dealership

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
I used Amsoil in my Powerstroke. Any opinions on this brand for th eEcodiesel? I'm new to this game. Just paid $200 for my first service at the dealership
Was the powerstroke a 7.3 or 6.0? Those engines really benefit from the Synthetic oils because of the HEUI injection system. I wouldn't see any harm in running amsoil in an ecodiesel. They seem to make good products

Retired Bones

Jun 15, 2016
Truck Year
I've read all your interesting posts. Now where is the vital information about temperature and thermal breakdown. I have entered this site on the oil temperature side. I have seen temperatures in the 274 degree region. My dealer hear in the Pacific Northwest wanted the oil changed. My concern about these temperature is should I be looking at "Evans" nonwater based coolant, and just where is the heat maximum for these oils.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
I've read all your interesting posts. Now where is the vital information about temperature and thermal breakdown. I have entered this site on the oil temperature side. I have seen temperatures in the 274 degree region. My dealer hear in the Pacific Northwest wanted the oil changed. My concern about these temperature is should I be looking at "Evans" nonwater based coolant, and just where is the heat maximum for these oils.
The vital information you're looking for varies by oil brand and type. There is no set in stone number. Regular petroleum based oils (not synthetic) usually degrade at 240 degrees. Synthetic can be over twice that. I would worry more about why it got that hot, not how hot you can get your oil. Something might be wrong with the oil cooler. What were doing when it got that hot? I assume not just cruising around

Retired Bones

Jun 15, 2016
Truck Year
I was towing a 6,500 lb travel trailer in a tail wind on the Ashland summit grade NB / I-5 just in Oregon leaving California. I have whatever the selling dealer put in it on its second oil change. The ram is a '15 ED. It tows nice, just annoying that under some conditions it really has no "cooler", just that lousy warmer.
After the $200 oil change that the dealer wanted because of the heat, I did the deed at 26,500 miles and they told me that all is well, but no reason for the high temperature. Other than towing in a tail wind on a steep grade to 4,400 ft. I have no idea what was in it, and no idea what they put in it. I have towed the trailer twice since, once to Canada. Nothing got warmer than 242 and there are a few minor climbs toward Bellingham Washington.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
I was towing a 6,500 lb travel trailer in a tail wind on the Ashland summit grade NB / I-5 just in Oregon leaving California. I have whatever the selling dealer put in it on its second oil change. The ram is a '15 ED. It tows nice, just annoying that under some conditions it really has no "cooler", just that lousy warmer.
After the $200 oil change that the dealer wanted because of the heat, I did the deed at 26,500 miles and they told me that all is well, but no reason for the high temperature. Other than towing in a tail wind on a steep grade to 4,400 ft. I have no idea what was in it, and no idea what they put in it. I have towed the trailer twice since, once to Canada. Nothing got warmer than 242 and there are a few minor climbs toward Bellingham Washington.
This is a picture I took off of the back of a Schaeffers 5w-40 9000 Diesel engine oil, says it withstands temps up to 300 degrees higher than normal motor oil, assuming the number they're going off of is 240 that would mean 540 degrees, I don't like to assume anything, but that's good for thought

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    356.5 KB · Views: 22

Jreid

Sep 12, 2016
Truck Year
New to forum and have enjoyed the oil discussion, what about Amsoil, has one of the highest TBN's?

View attachment 798
I was using the Amsoil European formula as it met the ACEA C3 & MS-11106 specs. Just about to order another case of this as I am getting ready for my second oil change. Should I keep going with this or change to the 5W-40 Premium Synthetic (same as #107 post). Do I need to wait for the updated flash from the dealer??. 2015 Eco SLT.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
I was using the Amsoil European formula as it met the ACEA C3 & MS-11106 specs. Just about to order another case of this as I am getting ready for my second oil change. Should I keep going with this or change to the 5W-40 Premium Synthetic (same as #107 post). Do I need to wait for the updated flash from the dealer??. 2015 Eco SLT.
You don't need the software updates for the oil update, I would switch to the 5w-40 premium synthetic, chances are it's cheaper and possibly a higher quality lubricant, I don't know the specs on AMSOIL, but I know if you're interested they usually have their VOA or some sort of data on their oils

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
http://www.oildepot.ca/5w-40-motor-oil-now-suggested-all-ecodiesel-engines/

This info was found by another member on this forum, but posted in a different thread, but if this is the correct reason why they switched, it makes sense why they're draining and replacing brand new engine oil in unsold vehicles. Would also open the doors to lawsuits possibly. Makes me wonder how much damage has been done to engines using the 5w-30 like they were supposed to since they were new