• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

RECALL R51 - FCA Recommends a Winter Front Cover for Colder Climates with EcoDiesels

Boondocker

Jun 14, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
I just picked up my 2017 Big Horn a few weeks ago. Is this still an issue?

DavidD

Dec 19, 2017
Truck Year
My 2017 came with grill cover and it ain't dong a thing. It's freezing up, condensation getting created and eventually puts it into limp mode. 2x so far only 6 weeks of use.

Boondocker

Jun 14, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
I just got mine back from the dealer. It threw a code and I got a check engine light, a small lightening bolt icon, with "Electronic Throttle Control" displayed message. I had no boost, but was able to drive it to the dealer at highway speed, just not much power. They said that the intake pipe had frozen water in it and did not know how it happened. They figured it's from condensation and that if it happens again, I'll need to get the grill blanket. I asked if they knew if one was being sent to my home or not. They kinda chuckled and gave me a funny look, then said it cost 129.00, but they were on back order. I explained that I thought there was a recall for this, but they didn't know anything about it.

DavidD

Dec 19, 2017
Truck Year
I just got mine back from the dealer. It threw a code and I got a check engine light, a small lightening bolt icon, with "Electronic Throttle Control" displayed message. I had no boost, but was able to drive it to the dealer at highway speed, just not much power. They said that the intake pipe had frozen water in it and did not know how it happened. They figured it's from condensation and that if it happens again, I'll need to get the grill blanket. I asked if they knew if one was being sent to my home or not. They kinda chuckled and gave me a funny look, then said it cost 129.00, but they were on back order. I explained that I thought there was a recall for this, but they didn't know anything about it.
I have the Winter front cover on mine came with the truck and still does it, twice so far since mid Dec. It's in the shop today same symptoms.

Boondocker

Jun 14, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
Sorry to hear DavidD, 3 strikes. Are you thinking about the applying the "Lemon Law"? I wonder what they have done design wise to keep this from happening on over the road trucks? Does anyone know if this happens on the Dodge Cummins pickups?

chris aldred

Jan 3, 2018
Truck Year
At 2500 km and 3 weeks in I had the same problem with the throttle and no power , I took it in 2 days ago and now check engine light is back on and the remote start shuts down after 15 seconds , going back to dealer in morning .

Boondocker

Jun 14, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
At 2500 km and 3 weeks in I had the same problem with the throttle and no power , I took it in 2 days ago and now check engine light is back on and the remote start shuts down after 15 seconds , going back to dealer in morning .
That's exactly the same thing mine was doing at 2700 miles. What did the dealer say was the problem?

DavidD

Dec 19, 2017
Truck Year
Yeah I dropped my truck off yesterday morning for the same issues. Last I heard with mine is they were having a hard time and the truck ended up having a sleep over at the dealer. Lucky my had to bum a ride to work today because I bought a new truck that's busted.
If you get a chance post their findings see if it will be similar to to my dealers answers.

Boondocker

Jun 14, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
Yeah I dropped my truck off yesterday morning for the same issues. Last I heard with mine is they were having a hard time and the truck ended up having a sleep over at the dealer. Lucky my had to bum a ride to work today because I bought a new truck that's busted.
If you get a chance post their findings see if it will be similar to to my dealers answers.

They said that the intake pipe had frozen water in it and did not know how it happened. They figured it's from condensation and that if it happens again, I'll need to get the grill blanket. Others here say the grill blanket doesn't help, they are still freezing up. It's been single digits to -8F over the last couple weeks in Wisconsin, but I'm sure it colder in Canada.

I have a few questions for the group;
1) Does this happen to over the road trucks? If not, what do they do to prevent condensation.
2) Does this happen to Dodge Cummins pickups? If not, what do they do to prevent condensation.

Boondocker

Jun 14, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
They said that the intake pipe had frozen water in it and did not know how it happened. They figured it's from condensation and that if it happens again, I'll need to get the grill blanket. Others here say the grill blanket doesn't help, they are still freezing up. It's been single digits to -8F over the last couple weeks in Wisconsin, but I'm sure it's colder in Canada.

1) Does this happen to over the road trucks? If not, what do they do to prevent condensation.
2) Does this happen to Dodge Cummins pickups? If not, what do they do to prevent condensation.

Part 2...
I just spoke with the tech that fixed my truck for more specifies. All of the pipes where frozen from the airbox all the way to the turbo, and all of the pipes connected to the turbo. Before this happened, I was parking my truck with the grill facing the road I live on, which is an east-west road, so the wind is always pretty strong. Since this happened, I've been parking it in my shop without the heat turned on. So far so good...

Last edited:

DavidD

Dec 19, 2017
Truck Year
They said that the intake pipe had frozen water in it and did not know how it happened. They figured it's from condensation and that if it happens again, I'll need to get the grill blanket. Others here say the grill blanket doesn't help, they are still freezing up. It's been single digits to -8F over the last couple weeks in Wisconsin, but I'm sure it colder in Canada.

Yeah I was told the same thing, and I have the grill blanket. Doing the same thing for mine. Up here in Northern Ontario we've been in the -25 to -30 Celsius last few weeks. I was told by the dealership that the engineers are working on a flash update for cold climates. Not sure what that will do but that all they had for me.

Boondocker

Jun 14, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
Yeah I was told the same thing, and I have the grill blanket. Doing the same thing for mine. Up here in Northern Ontario we've been in the -25 to -30 Celsius last few weeks. I was told by the dealership that the engineers are working on a flash update for cold climates. Not sure what that will do but that all they had for me.

Well, I came out of work tonight and it threw the "Service Electronic Throttle Control" message again...no boost. This is the second time in less than a week.

DavidD

Dec 19, 2017
Truck Year
Yeah I just got mine back last night. Dealer told me there's nothing they can do but reset the light at this time. Their saying Chrysler working on a flash update for colder climates. I personally wonder if I'll get thru the weekend with mine. -28 to -32 Celsius here the next few nights.

Boondocker

Jun 14, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
Yeah I just got mine back last night. Dealer told me there's nothing they can do but reset the light at this time. Their saying Chrysler working on a flash update for colder climates. I personally wonder if I'll get thru the weekend with mine. -28 to -32 Celsius here the next few nights.

Do you have a "Lemon Law" in Canada? I think in varies in state to state, but in Wisconsin it is basically this...

A new vehicle - no more than a year old and still under warranty - is a "lemon" if
- It has a serious defect the dealer can't fix in four tries, or
- It has one or many defects that prevent you from using it for 30 days or more (the 30 days need not be consecutive)

I hope they can figure this out because I really like the truck. I was planning on towing to the UP to do some riding in two weeks, but now I'm afraid it's going to let me down.

BTW, they gave me a new Hemi as a loaner...that thing rips! I need to find out how to turn the traction control off though!

Last edited:

DavidD

Dec 19, 2017
Truck Year
They have something similar in Canada, but not called "Lemon Law" I have definitely been reading up on it. The information isn't as clear as that unfortunately. Almost need a Lawyer to read the information and decode the conditions.
In any case, I also really enjoy the truck. It is definitely a little unfortunate of these issues.

chris aldred

Jan 3, 2018
Truck Year
That's exactly the same thing mine was doing at 2700 miles. What did the dealer say was the problem?
ice in the throttle hoses due to no winter cover , I put on a cover , filled the DEF and pluged in the block heater , -21C next morning and same code , bolt , remote starter shut down and no power . We don't have the Lemon law in Canada but I an not going to keep this truck , How Chrysler can sell a truck that doesn't work in cold climates is beyond me , I went to 2 dealerships and both were full of ecodiesels with the same problem .

RAMNIT

Oct 11, 2015
Truck Year
Nope! It depends on where the truck was made and where you bought it.
Here is some of the communication I had tonight via live chat with Wendy a customer care associate
d644ad443fe0128285374035e7b96d53.jpg
b014c9e1a1dad995781b8ddbad492c33.jpg