• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

RAM RECALL

Airbornec507

Oct 21, 2019
Truck Year
I went to the dealer last week and had them run my VIN for recalls. The service department in Dothan, AL said there were no recalls on my 2015 3.0L ecodiesel. I informed them that there was in fact one through FCA. I had the parts department run the part and he said that it is not in stock and no estimate on when that part would be in if ordered.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
I went to the dealer last week and had them run my VIN for recalls. The service department in Dothan, AL said there were no recalls on my 2015 3.0L ecodiesel. I informed them that there was in fact one through FCA. I had the parts department run the part and he said that it is not in stock and no estimate on when that part would be in if ordered.
Apparently, recall is to begin Dec 13th.

OFF THE NHTSA website:

October 24, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V757000
EGR Cooler May Crack and Cause Fire
Combustion in the intake manifold can increase the risk of a fire.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V757000
Manufacturer Chrysler (FCA US LLC)
Components ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Potential Number of Units Affected 107,979
Summary
Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2014-2019 Ram 1500 and 1500 Classic Pickup trucks equipped with 3.0L Eco Diesel engines. The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) cooler may crack and allow pre-heated vaporized coolant to enter the EGR system. This mixture may combust inside the intake manifold.
Remedy
The remedy for this recall is still under development. The recall is expected to begin December 13, 2019. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is VB1.
Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

COXlitt

Jun 4, 2019
Truck Year
Yesterday on my way home from work I was driving about 75 as I always do the truck suddenly lost engine power. Once I get stopped lots of smoke coming from under the hood. Get the hood open and see flames at the back of the engine near the turbo. I don’t carry an extinguisher but just happened to have a bottle of water and put the flames out. While I was waiting for the tow truck I was looking the engine bay over and noticed my coolant tank was empty. Dealership won’t get a chance to look at till tomorrow. I left the truck completely stock when all the stuff came out about the class action lawsuit starting. So hopefully they don’t try and screw me over on the whole deal.

Last edited:

Airbornec507

Oct 21, 2019
Truck Year
Apparently, recall is to begin Dec 13th.

OFF THE NHTSA website:

October 24, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V757000
EGR Cooler May Crack and Cause Fire
Combustion in the intake manifold can increase the risk of a fire.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V757000
Manufacturer Chrysler (FCA US LLC)
Components ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Potential Number of Units Affected 107,979
Summary
Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2014-2019 Ram 1500 and 1500 Classic Pickup trucks equipped with 3.0L Eco Diesel engines. The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) cooler may crack and allow pre-heated vaporized coolant to enter the EGR system. This mixture may combust inside the intake manifold.
Remedy
The remedy for this recall is still under development. The recall is expected to begin December 13, 2019. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is VB1.
Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

Good to know. Thanks for the info! I'll bring it up next time I'm there. I am currently in the process of pulling an oil sample to see if I have an issue. Also monitoring my coolant levels regularly. Over a 5,000 mile increment I seem to be losing about an inch of coolant in the fill reservoir. I don't see any leaks externally so we'll see what the oil sample turns up in about 2000 more miles right before I do my 7500 mile oil change.

MS in Tigard

Mar 25, 2019
Truck Year
The EGR crashed on my 2016 two weeks ago, I was told that the new part was ordered and would be here today. Called the dealer to get an update and was told about the recall and that there are so many of these vehicles with the EGR problem that the new part won't arrive now until December 13th (2 months without the use of my daily driver) or so and that after they install the new EGR cooler installed I will need to come back to have the new designed EGR replaced per the recall in 6 months or so. Love my truck but wondering if all of the trouble is worth keeping the truck. just under 60K miles

COXlitt

Jun 4, 2019
Truck Year
The EGR crashed on my 2016 two weeks ago, I was told that the new part was ordered and would be here today. Called the dealer to get an update and was told about the recall and that there are so many of these vehicles with the EGR problem that the new part won't arrive now until December 13th (2 months without the use of my daily driver) or so and that after they install the new EGR cooler installed I will need to come back to have the new designed EGR replaced per the recall in 6 months or so. Love my truck but wondering if all of the trouble is worth keeping the truck. just under 60K miles

COXlitt

Jun 4, 2019
Truck Year
Yep so after they finally got to my truck yesterday I was told same thing EGR COOLER failed and my plastic intake manifold melted and that’s what caused the fire. I was told December 18th for an arrival date of my parts. But I’m like some others is it gonna be worth it or should I just move on I love my truck and had already done some cosmetic things to it.

Engineersaab54

Sep 21, 2019
Truck Year
Yesterday on my way home from work I was driving about 75 as I always do the truck suddenly lost engine power. Once I get stopped lots of smoke coming from under the hood. Get the hood open and see flames at the back of the engine near the turbo. I don’t carry an extinguisher but just happened to have a bottle of water and put the flames out. While I was waiting for the tow truck I was looking the engine bay over and noticed my coolant tank was empty. Dealership won’t get a chance to look at till tomorrow. I left the truck completely stock when all the stuff came out about the class action lawsuit starting. So hopefully they don’t try and screw me over on the whole deal.
Same thing happened to me in my 2016 w/35,000 miles on it. I had purchased it in August, put 1500 miles on it, and October 11th also doing 75 pulling a very light utility trailer, bam, but fortunately I was right at an exit and it either didn’t quite burst into flames, or it put itself out as I lifted the hood. I DO carry an extinguisher and thought I was going to need it when I pulled over. See my post “Billows of white smoke”. I don’t know how to link it here. Maybe somebody can help.
Anyway, it’s been at the dealership for over a month now. They changed out sensors, turbo, and EGR cooler. I got lucky and only had to wait a week for one, so I guess I was ahead of the herd. Dealer finally noticed the melted intake last week. Waiting on a new one now. Opened a Customer Care Case w/FCA and the first interaction was positive. We will see how it goes.
Crystalized DEF in the exhaust pipes makes me wonder if we’ll have exhaust/catalytic converter issues.