• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

REGENS, how to tell??

damien256

Jul 9, 2015
Truck Year
So guys, I have a dumb question. How do I tell when my ED is in a regen??I have about 3800 miles on it and have had a smell of burning hair or some such thing, once or twice but dont know if that how i tell its in Regen or not. Any ideas??
thnx

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Not a dumb question. My best answer is to search YouTube, 'moparecodiesel'. He has a some very informative videos that would explain a lot.

SnowDrift

Jan 2, 2014
Yea watch his videos. but you wont see any light until it's almost full and it tells you to regen.

dieselshu

Apr 25, 2015
Truck Year
I only saw the EVIC display show regen once since then I bought a blue tooth adapter and the torque pro app for my Android and can monitor the regens..total cost $30

ecodiesel1

May 28, 2015
Truck Year
I only saw the EVIC display show regen once since then I bought a blue tooth adapter and the torque pro app for my Android and can monitor the regens..total cost $30

it will only display if the DPF is almost full and it is telling you to do a regen right?

dieselshu

Apr 25, 2015
Truck Year
On the evic.
Yes.
It will say regen and show a percentage..for bout 20 mins..on the Bluetooth obdi it gets to 100 then actives temps go up for about 20 mins then temps drop off and percentage shows zero

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
First road trip with Insight CS2 installed.

With about 300km already driven in town, took off into the mountains and 200 km of gravel road driving, by the time we got back, we had about 900 km on the tank and about 150 km range left. The readout for average KM is 9.6. When we fill up, will get exact figures.

My first REGEN range was 130km, the next REGEN range was 160km and the third was approaching 200km, soot was reading 50 percent. REGEN starts at 65% according to the gauge.

While driving you wouldn't know that a REGEN was happening. The EGT3 went up to 1100 degrees to 1300 F., for about 5 minutes, varied a bit.

I got the impression, even though I was driving 100km per hour, 8th gear, if my rpm drop down to 1500 rpm, the REGEN seems to stop/pauses. Pick up when rpm increases a bit. There was no odour at all during the trip

With a little bit of testing, it seems, If you get an odour, it was because your REGEN got interrupted and wasn't finish. My DEF indicator is down by a needle width from full. About 3000 km on the truck so far. Not a heavy user of DEF so far.

I read of someone who complained, his truck hardly hit 8 gear or felt didn't stay up there when expected.

With the Insight CS2, I followed the shifting pattern and hitting 8 gear at 70km is common and no issue with it staying there at higher speed, when it climbs a hill, not too steep, it drop to 7 and back to 8. The shifting is as expected and probably explains the excellent fuel economy.

So far, I'm glad I didn't go for the Duramax or Cummins diesel. As, it more then okay for the towing that I do. The fuel economy ain't too good on those units.

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
So how often are these things actually regenning I have noticed a difference in the way it runs occasionally and was curious if a regen was active...not to keen on KM vs miles

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I'm still monitoring as vehicle only has 3500 KM. To convert to miles, roughly use 60%.
On arrival in town, and doing my service call, REGEN did reach 63% and it is attempting to raised the heat, however, I was doing lots of stopping and it never reach the right temperature. The Soot reached 72% before it manage to raise the heat level to 1000 F degrees for a short period but stopped before it finished. Instead of reading 9% soot when proper burn occured, on startup the soot was 35%. So, I don't expect another REGEN attempt until it hits 63%.

Any other pattern I see, I be happy to share. So far, I couldn't notice any difference in the vehicle, noise, smell, nothing. I'm curious what would happen if REGEN built up to 90%. I suspect that if the heat is up to 1200 F degrees and I was to shut off the engine, I probably get a smell. That situation, hasn't happen yet.

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
Ya it worries me a bit given I drive mostly city and a lot of times it is short distance...anyone had them de-rate and perform a forced regen?

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I don't think it will be a problem. If the unit is attempting REGEN, you can put it in neutral and run the rpm about 1800 and that should heat up enough to clear the soot. I suspect, it will quickly heat up even in short runs, instead of getting a soot of 9%, it will drop somewhere in between current REGEN and 9%

I will follow the REGEN pattern and let all know, what happening.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
It appears, once you hit about 65% Soot, the car system will try to do REGEN, if it manages to get into that state for a short period of time, it will complete with a slightly lower value of Soot. If the RPM is dropping below 1800, REGEN will pause. On the highway, often my RPM is 1500. By using the minus gear, you can lock out 8th gear, that will raise the RPM and not pause the REGEN.

It my intention to ignore my monitoring and not react to it, just to see how the car system takes care of it without intervention. The only area of concern, is not shutting down in case the temperatures are high. Only solution, would be to let it idle for a few minutes before turning off the engine, especially if you don't have a monitor. Perhaps it is design to handle such high temperatures without damage. Time will tell.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
That's my approach, just drive on and let the vehicle computer do its job. I do abide by the cool down chart in the manual tho.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Well, I'm up to 7900 KM, a third of it is hauling a trailer. On the highway, my REGEN distance varies from 190km to 240km. In the city, it seems to average around 90km.

Fuel economy hit 38 mpg at one trip, the Columbia river, Revelstoke and Kamloop/Salmon Arm, BC area driving. I met a person, who drove from Calgary to Vancouver and his fuel economy was 8.4. But then more down hill then up.

I also, notice when using cruise control up the steep hills with the trailer, 5K load, at times the rpm would hit 3500 and the EGR would peak 1500 for short periods. Not sure if that normal. Notice nothing negative or any smell.

I also notice that the Soot doesn't climb, it seems to keep the Soot from building up when EGR temperature are running over 1000F due to towing, even though Soot percent is low as per Edge Insight CS2 monitor. That good use of heat. Also might explain why REGEN Distance is greater than city driving.

I like to limit it to 3000 rpm, seems comfortable. Without the trailer, it is even more super nice driving in the mountains, lots of power, speed as needed and does so very quietly.

I have come to the conclusion, that I can't tell if I'm doing a REGEN without the monitor. I just watch and it seems to take care of itself. The only current concern, is not shutting it off when in REGEN. It may not be an issue. I hope it design to handle those temperatures.

I usually see about 10 to 20km of REGEN period before I see it was fully completed, showing Soot less than 10 percent. I never went over 74 percent Soot. Perhaps at 90 percent or higher, the evic will warn you and forces a quicker speed of REGEN. I heard there are two stages of REGEN. Only experience 1 so far.

Last edited:

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I have come to the conclusion, that I can't tell if I'm doing a REGEN without the monitor. I just watch and it seems to take care of itself. The only current concern, is not shutting it off when in REGEN. It may not be an issue. I hope it design to handle those temperatures.

Good findings @seiko

WesMgc

Aug 18, 2015
Truck Year
Mine doe's a regen every 100 miles and when soot hits 65/70 % soot

Bruce

May 28, 2015
Truck Year
This was my first Regen. It got to 90% before I could drive it long enough to complete.IMG_1634.JPG

Bruce

May 28, 2015
Truck Year
No but this was moving day and I spent two days going 3 miles to and from new house.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Here a bit more about 1500 3.0L Diesel and DEF, REGEN and messages that you may see. This is an excerpt from the 2015 User Guide Ram Truck 1500, 2500, 3500 book. Probably like me, never read the manuals.

1500 3.0L Diesel.jpg