• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

REPORT: EPA to hold hearing today about new cheating allegations

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Last edited:

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
USA Today is also reporting:

The Environmental Protection Agency said Thursday that Fiat Chrysler installed software on more than 100,000 vehicles to cheat emissions standards.

R Stanley

Dec 22, 2016
Truck Year
Yep have read the same, what got me is FCA did not turn over software data to EPA for secondary sys, so we will see.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Uh oh..

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I'll sell mine back in a heartbeat if the price is right...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

JSchneib

Oct 20, 2015
Truck Year
If it is true I hope there is a fix that can be done without loss of power but I think that would be unlikely. Really don't want to give this truck up.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I'll sell mine back in a heartbeat if the price is right...

I'd be on the fence between letting them buy it back if it compensates me enough factoring in two years of depreciation I paid. Otherwise i'll figure it'll drop our MPG to about 24 highway for their "fix" which then we get advertised MPG reimbursement like they had to do for false advertised Chevy traverse's a while back, at that rate I'd keep my truck under the dealers radar and do an offroad tune..

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I'd be on the fence between letting them buy it back if it compensates me enough factoring in two years of depreciation I paid. Otherwise i'll figure it'll drop our MPG to about 24 highway for their "fix" which then we get advertised MPG reimbursement like they had to do for false advertised Chevy traverse's a while back, at that rate I'd keep my truck under the dealers radar and do an offroad tune..
yea that's a good plan. I also worry of long term ownership cost with this truck so a buyback might ease that thought. can an average Joe realistically work on this truck? that's a question I'm really looking into.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
yea that's a good plan. I also worry of long term ownership cost with this truck so a buyback might ease that thought. can an average Joe realistically work on this truck? that's a question I'm really looking into.

I think that the biggest flaw to at home major maintenance or Repair to this truck is the Turbo being under the firewall requiring the cab to be removed. If it's unrelated to the Turbo? I think the average Joe has a fair chance aside from the lack of documentation. But once the Turbo or intake or anything becomes involved it's 1000$ Shop Bill for labor to lift the cab

Older Slower Wiser

Dec 10, 2016
Truck Year
They can have mine! 35,000 miles, average mpg 18-19 about 80 percent interstate driving. Pull bass boat and lucky to get 14 mpg. Wish they would have put cheater software in my truck.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
I'm getting an F-150 for sure now lol! Could be kinda like the email scandal, where gov't aquzations end up not coming to any fruition. This is definitely different from the VW scandal, because they didn't even try to deny it

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Still happy with mine.
Didn't it take VW almost 2 years to settle on owner compensation?

JSchneib

Oct 20, 2015
Truck Year
Interesting clip from Truck Trend magazine:

The company says it has been proactive in working with the agency and has proposed a major software update to improve emissions performance. Interestingly, in FCA’s official response, it stressed it looked forward to working with the “incoming” administration on the matter, likely an indication of its belief that the incoming Trump administration will take a more lenient attitude toward regulatory matters.

So if FCA has proposed a major software update to improve emissions does that mean they acknowledge that there is a problem? Also, are they buying time in hopes that the Trump administration will soften the standards from the EPA so they won't have to make a change? Again, it sounds like there is some knowledge of a problem.

What say you?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Trumps administration is certainly NOT going to exonerate any corporation from pass violation on EPA and Gov requirements. They will/May focus on lessening future requirements. As this unfolds FCA will sink deeper into trouble.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
Interesting clip from Truck Trend magazine:

The company says it has been proactive in working with the agency and has proposed a major software update to improve emissions performance. Interestingly, in FCA’s official response, it stressed it looked forward to working with the “incoming” administration on the matter, likely an indication of its belief that the incoming Trump administration will take a more lenient attitude toward regulatory matters.

So if FCA has proposed a major software update to improve emissions does that mean they acknowledge that there is a problem? Also, are they buying time in hopes that the Trump administration will soften the standards from the EPA so they won't have to make a change? Again, it sounds like there is some knowledge of a problem.

What say you?

What I say is there's a lot more to this story than we know and likely will ever know. If there was an issue or even the slightest inclination of a problem, wouldn't you have developed a solution or resolved the problem if you were FCA and watching VW go through this? It would have in my opinion been easier to send out a TSB or recall and sweep it under the bridge before ever reaching this level. There's more to it than meets the eye. Couldn't be happier with my pickup, but it makes the upcoming F-150 ever more attractive right now.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Bobcat I believe you are correct, their is some indications that the investigation has been ongoing for 12+ months.

The software is overseen by teams of software engineers I doubt it just leak by, its more likely it was never disclosed on any documents and just pushed through and made to look like just an oversight.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
From the article, this is what the EPA is upset about. Violations listed below:
  1. Full EGR Shut-Off at Highway Speed
  2. Reduced EGR with Increasing Vehicle Speed
  3. EGR Shut-off for Exhaust Valve Cleaning
  4. DEF Dosing disablement during SCR Adaptation
  5. EGR Reduction due to Modeled Engine Temperature
  6. SCR Catalyst Warm-up Disablement
  7. Alternative SCR Dosing Modes
  8. Use of Load Governor to Delay Ammonia Refill of SCR Catalyst

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
1&2 were give a way's, Many High Mile 3.0 intakes were pretty clean, when the Family use intake were cake up badly.

The ease that GDE disable the EGR Valve is another give away , heck I unplugged the actuator and it only throws P0245 occasionally.
I disable the EGR Valve completely VIA Stick.

BoostN If this violates forum policy just delete.

I finally had enough of 1500diesel.com, The Mods ( except Crash) at that Forum did more damage to the Future of the ED than the EPA, they welcome new member with (Welcome have you purchased GDE tune it will save your ED ) the were they were promoting Illegal modifications in the name of profits... If you even questioned the Mods they call you out on speculation.

In the name of fairness tuning violates the law . voids your warranty , Its your choice's, the mods never mentioned that GDE voids your warranty, You mention deleting at any other forum and the next post from members was YOU ARE YOUR OWN WARRNTY STATION, most OWNERS EXCEPTED THAT, but those words mentioned at 1500deiesel.com the delete post was next followed by a warning.

BoostN do you plan on F-150 Forum? I hope so with what looks like the 3.0 is done for 2017+ the F-150 goona sell.