• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Report: Ram EcoDiesel Sales behind predictions from Ram

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
That 88% includes the Hemi, not just the 3.6L. So I'd be interested to see what the actual % is of those buying the Pentastar.

I believe most customers still only see two choices in the half tons; you have the strong running typical truck engine in the Hemi or the fuel saver 3.6L V6. Not sure the majority of people realize you can have both with the EcoD.

Like field of dreams, if you build it they will come. 5 years from now the EcoD will outsell the Hemi. Write it down.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Has anyone noticed the 3.6 Pentastar is the standard equipment on the rebel?! Hemi is an upgrade. I Wonder if any dealer orders actually have the v6.

I couldn't see the v6 being a serious option in the rebel for people purchasing.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Has anyone noticed the 3.6 Pentastar is the standard equipment on the rebel?! Hemi is an upgrade. I Wonder if any dealer orders actually have the v6.

I couldn't see the v6 being a serious option in the rebel for people purchasing.

I didn't catch that.. but makes no sense.. The 3.6 just doesn't fit that "image" IMO.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
but makes no sense.. The 3.6 just doesn't fit that "image" IMO.

Exactly how I felt finding it. But I'd rather see a small torquey diesel in an offroad styled truck which is why the Colorado zr concept actually appealed to me. Unfortunately that's still not a reality either

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
$48k?!?!?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Ridiculous huh?

You know what I don't understand about the rebel? For completely purposeful use of the "offroad" designed truck why did they not at least have the option of a inner bumper mounted winch like the power wagon?

CaptainMal

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
A couple years ago I almost bought a Pentastar Ram 1500. Coming from a Cummins and no longer towing over 7,000 lbs, I test-drove two of them. Solo they were fine. Research told me putting my toy hauler on one would be "not so fine". Never would consider a Hemi. Friends have/had them with lots of feedback on hideous fuel mileage and worse than that if you tow anything.

I still own 11 motorcycles ,if acceleration and top speed wants to be my thing. Right after I got my Ecodiesel I hit the rev limiter at 106 mph on a GPS in the truck. Fast enough for me.

The EcoDiesel is an engine for towing and good fuel mileage with the torque and feel of a diesel. That's who should buy them. It's fine.

Now if it came with a manual transmission it would even be "finer" for me.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year

CaptainMal

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
Never been a fan of automatics. You just do not have the control of the vehicle as you do with a manual.

Another recent issue is my ZF transmission has always run hot. While towing I have seen temperatures to 240 degrees.

Talked with ZF personally. Had the truck at the dealer on this issue for a few days as they explored ideas. As stupidly high as these temperatures can be, ZF says it is "normal". My normal temperature is in the 210 range not towing. To me that's too hot. To FICA and ZF it is all within their normal temperature parameters.

Transmission does work fine with 34,000 on the clock and more towing coming up the next few weeks. Glad it is under the 100K warranty. This is an automatic that I feel will be trouble. Just happy that has not happened yet.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
That's strange mine normally runs 190 to 200...my engine oil on the other hand avg's 240 while towing...there's truly not a transmission fluid out there that I think can constantly withstand those temperatures...I would look into a cooler. Have you done a flush yet since you hit your first 30k?

CaptainMal

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
I think the transmission is a possible reason Ram is not selling as many Ecodiesels as they predicted. I think the transmission is hurting sales of most all FICA products. Now that would only be true for customers who actually know about the transmission issues.

I don't worry about engine oil temperatures. Transmission oil temps are an issue for just some. I am not changing the transmission oil. First the filter is part of the oil pan and that's stupid expensive. Next the oil is also stupid expensive. Think I saw both priced one time in the $500 range if you do the work.

I am planning on getting rid of my whole truck before the power train warranty runs out unless I see a reputation for longevity from those up to and over 100K miles right now.

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
I imagine mine will be gone by the time I hit the warranty end...I will never hit mileage but after 7 years I start to get the itch....

Stan Laurel

Aug 3, 2015
Truck Year
[QUOTE="Right after I got my Ecodiesel I hit the rev limiter at 106 mph on a GPS in the truck. Fast enough for me.
[/QUOTE]

I've only had mine up to 85. How did she feel at top speed? Was she screaming and begging to slow down, or was she happy? Do you know if she held 8th or did she slip down to 7th?

CaptainMal

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
That's a lot of questions..

I only glanced at the speedometer. The GPS records top speed and my glance was about the 106 I recorded.

Did remember ( now remember this was a full year-and-a-half ago ) I looked at the rpm's. Think they were in the high 3's and have no clue what gears were being used. Doubt 8th was involved. I was accelerating right into the limiter. Maybe after I feathered the throttle to slow to around 100 it might have gone to 8th?

One standout memory was I expected the truck to absolutely go into the 120 range, the acceleration was so strong when it hit the limiter. Repeated that same test on the same road a few weeks later. Had no GPS on and did glance down. Just do not remember any specifics on rpm or guesses at gearing.