• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Reported problems on the EcoDiesel

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
12,900 KM and all is well....

Juan Bello

Dec 4, 2015
Truck Year
Bought my truck about a month ago. I now have 900 miles, trouble free. My in law bought his last year and has 28K and he is happy. I bought mine based on his experience. He did have a converter in the exhaust system replaced.

I took a 418 mile road trip and used 13.351 gallons NOT BAD. I have 355 gears

I did get scared when I read a thread regarding oil in the coolant system. I just went through a Lemon law with VW.

another note. Thanks to Shawn I saw many of your videos on You Tube before I bought the truck!

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Bought my truck about a month ago. I now have 900 miles, trouble free. My in law bought his last year and has 28K and he is happy. I bought mine based on his experience. He did have a converter in the exhaust system replaced.

I took a 418 mile road trip and used 13.351 gallons NOT BAD. I have 355 gears

I did get scared when I read a thread regarding oil in the coolant system. I just went through a Lemon law with VW.

another note. Thanks to Shawn I saw many of your videos on You Tube before I bought the truck!

Welcome to the forum Juan!

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
This is the best moderated forum I've ever seen for any vehicle. And the layout is the cleanest. Enjoy this forum as this is where I proudly call home.

I'll second that sentiment.

swordfish

Nov 15, 2015
Truck Year
my backup camera is staying on after i put it in drive for about 30 sec has done it about 3 times now, (won't do it for the dealer) guess wait til it fails

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Mine has come up black or super dark and grainy a time or two but that's all the problems I've ever had

John Harrington

Dec 12, 2015
Truck Year
My eco diesel is 12 months old and I have had 78000 kms of trouble free driving until this week and my check engine light came on. I took it to a dealer and it was something with the nox sender. They reset it and so far it is OK. Love the unit.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
My eco diesel is 12 months old and I have had 78000 kms of trouble free driving until this week and my check engine light came on. I took it to a dealer and it was something with the nox sender. They reset it and so far it is OK. Love the unit.

Welcome to the forum John!

Glad to hear you've having good experiences with the EcoDiesel. You'll find most are!

Jeo

Nov 16, 2015
Truck Year
Picked up the truck new on Oct 19, 2015 , 4500 miles now, absolutely no problems. Great ride and quite. Pull a 4500 trailer, no issue so far.

Snowfarmer

Dec 17, 2015
Truck Year
First off I'm new here but I would like to say I like the site. I found this site while trying to see if anyone has had problems like I currently have with my truck. First off I love my truck , I'm on my second one . Had a '14 when they came out and a year later got a '15. I do a lot of towing , boat , car/ snowmobile trailer. Both trucks ran well , great mileage and dealer service was second to none. In fact I was / am in the process of pricing a '16 when "IT" happen ! I had taken the truck in for an oil change , came back in the evening and started the truck but the truck quit right away . Tried again same thing . ( low oil pressure warning light) . So dealership thought maybe a computer problem . Anyway after two days and no luck dodge told them to drain the oil again and see what they find . You guessed it , metal filings etc. Motor is cooked. Now A buddy who I talked into buying one , his motor went three months before mine. It got replaced( 10 weeks for the repair). My dealer when I went into price a new one he asked how mine had been running . I told him great. Mine now turns out to be the forth motor replacement for this dealership. My dealer has been great ,new motor came in just three weeks but it has not been put in yet. Doesn't matter I have ordered a 16 Eco . I'm surprised to read on this site that no one has had this problem. I have been told by the dealer that there is a "problem "but they (Ram)are not sure how big it really is. I found something while researching and sent it to the dealer. The motor will be torn apart to see if this is the problem(see video)

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Welcome to the site and be sure to keep us updated! Aside from the new problem glad to hear you are overall happy with the truck!

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hello snowfarmer, that is my video. I'm pretty sure that my problem is not the same as the one you've experienced, my problem happens while driving and normally you can hear the valves smacking the pistons. My problem happens while driving, your failure is most common from bearing or rod failure, there are thre types of failures I've identified with this engine, basically if you make it past 40000 miles you will not get bearing or rod cap failure, the only failure you'll see is cam gear slippage or oil cooler failure. The good news is there are fixes for the two later issues. I did get a facebook message from an owner again with the same cam problem as me.

Snowfarmer

Dec 17, 2015
Truck Year
Hello snowfarmer, that is my video. I'm pretty sure that my problem is not the same as the one you've experienced, my problem happens while driving and normally you can hear the valves smacking the pistons. My problem happens while driving, your failure is most common from bearing or rod failure, there are thre types of failures I've identified with this engine, basically if you make it past 40000 miles you will not get bearing or rod cap failure, the only failure you'll see is cam gear slippage or oil cooler failure. The good news is there are fixes for the two later issues. I did get a facebook message from an owner again with the same cam problem as me.
You make some great videos .Great colour for your truck . ( mines the same I will let you know what happen to mine . I had 18000 miles on mine , my friend 48000 miles and the others at the dealership were all under 40000 miles. I never heard any noise in mine. Was running fine , I thought ? This is the way it was explained to me because I'm no mechanic ,They said when they changed the oil it let the pressure out of the engine, then parts became displaced thus no pressure could rebuild , maybe? Won't really know until taken apart. Does this explaination sound feasible ?

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
This is the 6th person I've heard this exact same thing from for an engine failure. Right at the dealer or leaving the dealer or by the time they get home. I'm going to ponder what the commonality is. I would think if they put in 15w-40w oil it's too thick to run through the skirt jets, but that would take a while to wear out the pistons, and someone here says they know someone with an ed that runs 15-40 so mechanical damage right after an oil change scares the heck out of me because I've changed my oil more than anybody

Snowfarmer

Dec 17, 2015
Truck Year
Well I stopped at the dealership today to see how things are going. The engine was pulled and the new one is going to be placed in after Christmas . So it was not very busy today so I had a chance to sit down with the service manager and the tech who diagnosed my problem ( the tech has 38 years with dodge/Chrysler ) Moparecodiesel Im late to the table on a lot of discussions here but the oil diagnostics is very important in today's discussion. First off they don't ,won't know what fully happen but have a pretty good idea though. They are not"allowed " to tear down the motors and will have to wait until VM does the tear down . ( not sure if this is true) . One thing the tech said is he feels the oil needs to be changed a lot mote often in the trucks then recommended. Especially on trucks being used a lot to pull loads of any kind.( all four trucks who's motors went were all used a lot to tow) He believes that there will be an update shortly to that effect. Also we talked about recalls which are typically done for safety reasons . It is also his belief ( from talking to higher ups in the chain ) that there could be a recall in these trucks . It depends on the bean counters in the back rooms and how bad things really are(which he says they are) They told me today that the repair warranty bill is 35000$ Cdn per truck . ( that must include rental I have etc..)

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
Yeah my engine quote for two dealers was $34000. I change my oil based on the Def Guage. I top it off and change my oil. When it's in the red I change it. It varies based on my idle, load, rpm and how hard I'm using my truck. It varies from 5000 miles to 8000 miles for me.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
New problem. The ecodiesel don't like deer.20151223_201856.jpg

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
No the deer did a pretty good job removing it completely. I just unplugged the last chunk with the turn signal and my hid ballasts. That was all that was left.

This was pretty much right after it happened.