• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

"Service Electronic Throttle Control"

Boondocker

Jun 14, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
So far I've taken mine to two different dealers on SE Wisconsin...they don't know how to fix it. From what I've read from on this site, the next step the dealers take is changing injectors, turbo's, EGR, DFP etc... Your choice is deal with the drama then apply for Lemon Law, or...use your scan tool, check the codes and clear them if no other codes are being thrown. Except for this issue, I love the truck, so I've opted for the later...

Oconomowoc

Jan 22, 2018
Truck Year
So far I've taken mine to two different dealers on SE Wisconsin...they don't know how to fix it. From what I've read from on this site, the next step the dealers take is changing injectors, turbo's, EGR, DFP etc... Your choice is deal with the drama then apply for Lemon Law, or...use your scan tool, check the codes and clear them if no other codes are being thrown. Except for this issue, I love the truck, so I've opted for the later...
What dealers have you been to? I’ve only been to Ewald.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave131211

Feb 7, 2018
Truck Year
I purchased my 2015 Lonestar EcoDiesel used with 61k miles and after having it for 1 week, I drove it about 165 miles down to the ranch for the weekend. Everything was fine driving down there, even impressed with managing 30mpg at 80mph! When I got to the ranch, it started taking 2-3 cranks before it would start up. When it came time to head back home, I stopped to fill up the tank a couple of miles down the road. Again, 3 tries before it finally started and as soon as I pulled out the "Service ETC" alert came on and I realized it was in limp mode and would not go over 38mph. I looked online and found this page and read several stories about this happening, and what it sounded like, to me, was a computer malfunction. I crawled it to the nearest O'Reillys and had them clear the ETC alert and it was fine from there. Very unsettling that this could happen at any time! I plan on reporting it to RAM.

Truck also pulls to the left. When I bought the truck, the were putting 2 new tires on it, even though the tires didn't seem to be very worn - I was ok with the new tires! the air pressure was even across all 4 tires when I got it.

I have noticed that when the fuel is low is when I am having trouble getting it to start on the first try, even though the range says as many as 84 miles left. I guess that's cutting it too close for a diesel.

One last thing that has me totally baffled...the remote start will start the truck, and sometimes, the truck will shut back off after maybe 10-15 seconds. This happens with a full tank...

This is my first RAM and I'm not very excited about my purchase anymore.
My truck is hard to start as well when the fuel gets down under 100km left. To make easier to start cycle your fuel pump. Ignition on and off 3 or 4 times. Then tey to start. It primes the pump. Same as when you change your fuel filter.

Dave131211

Feb 7, 2018
Truck Year
I bought my 2014 used, 20K miles, and I did my normal fuel system service and got the ETC right after filling up, limped home and scanned truck with my home scanner finding no abnormalities, reset and still found no abnormalities. Just a couple of months later another fuel system service and just filled up and the ETC, had scanner in truck, did roadside diagnosis found nothing, continued on my way. About four months later my wife experienced the ETC, right after fill up, and once again I found nothing. Checked fuel pressure, diagnosis electronics, checked voltages system wide. Have not had another occurrence. I can not speak to all others but mine has become an overly sensitive system, but several fuel filter changes and oil changes, fuel system services may have corrected some dirty injector issues because I haven't had the code for quite sometime. I now have 57K miles on the truck. I have noticed an improvement to throttle response and engine noise as time and services compile. I have considered a faulty Throttle Position Sensor but if it does not fluctuate while I have my scanner installed I cannot prove or disprove fault. I could just change both Throttle Position Sensors and see what happens, but not inclined. Another thing I utilize is Dielectric Silicone Grease on all electrical connections.

Sometimes buying used you have to correct someone else's lack of maintenance to get everything back in order. We just bought a 2015 JEEP Grand Cherokee with ED and the first thing I did was perform a fuel system service with the very first fill up.

Trenton would do well to find a qualified diesel mechanic that can appreciate the Common Rail High Pressure system used by this engine and he may end up with new injectors if they cannot be cleaned by system services. Good Luck my truck has been great.

I hope everyone experiencing difficulties can find a agreeable solution.
What are you using for a scanner to reset?

Boondocker

Jun 14, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
What are you using for a scanner to reset?

A standard OBDII/EOBD scan tool. You can pick one up at any parts store starting around $60.00 depending on options. My latest is wireless to my phone, cost around $100.00

Oconomowoc

Jan 22, 2018
Truck Year
I talked to Huckstorf Diesel, they said they wanted to concentrate on German made diesels

Boondocker

Jun 14, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
I talked to Huckstorf Diesel, they said they wanted to concentrate on German made diesels

Hmmm...My wife drives a 2008 Jeep GC with a 3.0 CRD, which is a Mercedes motor...

Oconomowoc

Jan 22, 2018
Truck Year

I should have added that I talked to them about Malone tuning for my ecodiesel. For tuning they are concentrating on German diesels

1st Ram

Feb 6, 2018
Truck Year
If it was a black one at Ewald, then it was ours. Dealer has to play FCA game. Found out the ETC is just telling you it’s in limp mode. Code it threw this time was different than the one the first time. Can’t remember codes off hand. Grille shutters were froze open. Tech had to ask me bunch of questions to send in to try and solve. They are being told I have purchase cord for block heater and cold front. Funny thing is in the owners manual it pretty much says if your truck doesn’t have the heater cord you can get one from dealer. If this is a FCA issue fix then FCA should be paying for it. I’ve talked to other dealer service about these issues and they are telling me solution. FCA driven. Was told they are waiting for approval from govt for new software update. Govt involved cause it’s all emissions related. Same boat as Oconomowoc. Irate wife.

Oconomowoc

Jan 22, 2018
Truck Year
If it was a black one at Ewald, then it was ours. Dealer has to play FCA game. Found out the ETC is just telling you it’s in limp mode. Code it threw this time was different than the one the first time. Can’t remember codes off hand. Grille shutters were froze open. Tech had to ask me bunch of questions to send in to try and solve. They are being told I have purchase cord for block heater and cold front. Funny thing is in the owners manual it pretty much says if your truck doesn’t have the heater cord you can get one from dealer. If this is a FCA issue fix then FCA should be paying for it. I’ve talked to other dealer service about these issues and they are telling me solution. FCA driven. Was told they are waiting for approval from govt for new software update. Govt involved cause it’s all emissions related. Same boat as Oconomowoc. Irate wife.
I bought my heater cord from Amazon, I think it was $20. I’m hoping when the weather gets better these problems go away.

Kurt1415

Feb 8, 2018
Truck Year
I've had the ETC code appear about 8 times now in the last 6 weeks. Every time it's the P0299. The first time was full on limp mode. 45 mile drive to work at 38 mph. I have been to two different dealers. One of them said all it needed was DEF. They put in 2.5 gallons and sent me on my way. Two days later the code came back. The next dealer did three different software updates. Said they should fix it. Two days later the code appeared again. Took it in again and had the fuel filter changed. Still get the code. So far it seems like it only appears on mornings when its colder than -5 out. Living in Wisconsin, this is more common than I like. I carry an OBDII reader and just clear the code every time and it drives fine until the code reappears. It's quite frustrating.

Oconomowoc

Jan 22, 2018
Truck Year
I bought my heater cord from Amazon, I think it was $20. I’m hoping when the weather gets better these problems go away.

What was the final outcome for you? I thought they reprogrammed my truck but all they really do was clear the fault. Something I plan on doing hopefully never again.

StevenB

Mar 30, 2016
Truck Year

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed

1st Ram

Feb 6, 2018
Truck Year
Escalated a complaint to Customer Care. If I need a cold front and cord to fix thier issue, I think they should be paying for it. I’ll find in a day or two more if what’s going on.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Escalated a complaint to Customer Care. If I need a cold front and cord to fix thier issue, I think they should be paying for it. I’ll find in a day or two more if what’s going on.

Don't forget you can get the cord from Amazon:

http://amzn.to/2HfV3hA

$16 isn't bad. :)

...and the cold weather kit:

http://amzn.to/2Cm1sDV

Just in case they try to rip you off.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.