• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Soon to be 2020 Ecodiesel owner from Mass

CKSlack

Dec 7, 2019
Truck Year
Hi everyone,

Newbie here from MASS... please don't hold it against me... I'm originally from Texas :)

Ordered a new 2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel Limited and I've been researching issues that some have reported over the years. Hoping that 3rd time is the charm for Gen3 release. As soon as I take delivery I'll post my experiences and contribute where I can.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Can’t wait to hear about your ownership experience, mileage, etc!
Since you moved from Texas no harm done!..

CKSlack

Dec 7, 2019
Truck Year
Welcome! Can't wait to see how reliable the new ones are.

Me Too.... I've researched and read a lot of posts from other users. See a lot of posts of issues with previous year models... but a lot of guys only post when something happens negatively. Not too many will go out of the way to post the positive experiences.. but in all fairness... they are paying for a quality product.

I'm sure there will be some bumps along the way, but surely hoping that 3rd time is the charm for the Gen3 version of this Ecodiesel engine and EGR issues reported in past models.

I'll post as I go along and since I'm a spreadsheet kind of guy will surely be monitoring long term results.

Thanks for the welcome ! ! !

CKSlack

Dec 7, 2019
Truck Year
Can’t wait to hear about your ownership experience, mileage, etc!
Since you moved from Texas no harm done!..

Its the salt season up here in the Boston area, so she'll be garaged on the bad days... plan on moving south in the next year so don't want to get it salt infested before I get out of here. I have a Jeep and 02 Ram 1500 5spd to keep the Ecodiesel in showroom condition. Plan on making several trips next year down south pulling 5-7k each time.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I'll bite, Its going to be a miserable failure, I worked at X company downstream Exhaust for EGR was abandon, and now the 3.0 has 2 EGR coolers when most Dsl Makers are removing external EGRs altogether. 2018-19s are failing after 5 years of Production. Bolting more hardware to solve know engineering problems with continue deployment will be just continue QC problems at VM Cento.

I predicted the 3.0 Failures Years in advance, the Lube, The EGR, the exact failure rate, the EPAs prosecution, Plenum Failures and Yes the fires.

I don't know if I should tip my hat or to gaze at wonderment to anyone that wants to jump into the VM 3.0 quicksand.

Just this week alone 3 more engines in CA puked at 124,118,132KL FCA CA denied replacement...There are maybe 3 out of 10 VM3.0s that will survive pass 200K miles W/O $1000s in repairs.

CKSlack

Dec 7, 2019
Truck Year
I'll bite, Its going to be a miserable failure, I worked at X company downstream Exhaust for EGR was abandon, and now the 3.0 has 2 EGR coolers when most Dsl Makers are removing external EGRs altogether. 2018-19s are failing after 5 years of Production. Bolting more hardware to solve know engineering problems with continue deployment will be just continue QC problems at VM Cento.

I predicted the 3.0 Failures Years in advance, the Lube, The EGR, the exact failure rate, the EPAs prosecution, Plenum Failures and Yes the fires.

I don't know if I should tip my hat or to gaze at wonderment to anyone that wants to jump into the VM 3.0 quicksand.

Just this week alone 3 more engines in CA puked at 124,118,132KL FCA CA denied replacement...There are maybe 3 out of 10 VM3.0s that will survive pass 200K miles W/O $1000s in repairs.

Hi TC,

Interesting to see your perspective on Gen 3. While I see a lot of reports on the EGR... sounds like now there is a NHTSA recall for ALL ecodiesels to replace EGR. Setting aside the EGR recall/issues, seems the new Gen 3 will have two EGR's.... hummmm… The other main item I've read about is engine failures which seems to be all over the map... as in 5k miles to 250k miles. So theres no real consistency there. Hard to gather data on each situation for driving conditions, fuel purchases, oil changes, filter changes... and then there are some with several hundred thousand miles with minor mechanical issues. The engine failures not being covered sounds more like dealerships not going to bat for some of these, while I've read others got engine replacements well over 150k miles. I"m sure each case is different.

I'm hoping that with the new Gen 3 engine they have worked out kinks with the motor... as far as the EGR... sounds like they are addressing it if adding different EGR technology ontop of adding a secondary EGR.

Sounds like there were no 2019 ecodiesel model and skipped to 2020, which I'm sure FCA wants to be in the small diesel motor game. I would think that if they thought they couldn't get it right that they would pull the plug altogether and move on.

Well... I should be taking delivery here in the next week or so and I'll certainly provide feedback good, bad or otherwise.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The VM 3.0 does well in HWY use. And even My OAs were all good. I foamed the Plenum at 12/24K miles and both (EGR/Plenum) needed replacement at 41K.

Yes there is 2019s, I thought the same as you, IMO Fiat just rebadged the 2018 to 19.

I worked closely with the team to develop downstream return Gases for EGR lower NOx, In theory it sounds good, in operation its a mechanical and software problematic.

Fait cannot change the laws that govern out environment , its going to take this much power (BTUs) to move objects. Small Displacement Dsl work only when needed HP can be produce at no or low boost conditions, when the boost is increased the Cyl pressure also increases, this causes the flame temps to raise Thus creating NOx, external EGR are used to return exhaust gases to intake to lower the Flame temps.

Engines operation is severely crippled with EGR, the Higher the % of EGR the more effect on engine operation, and the 3.0VM is dirty engine
The Engine does well in Europe were the cars are 3000Lbs, Now asking it to push Rams 1500 at 6000Lbs couple that with Tow ratings and mix driving is a lethal comb.

The VM3.0 operation requires 4-12LBs of boost with truck alone= High Cly temps=More NOx=More EGR.

Most of the VM3.0 (In America) at 200K+ are tuned.

I look forward to your feedback.

VM/GM original design was for Cady's in Europe, again a car at 3000/3400Lbs

CKSlack

Dec 7, 2019
Truck Year
TC

You sound much more educated in the diesel world than I probably ever will be.... I'm just looking to have a decent experience while saving a few $$$ on mpg. Going to start trailering (5-7k lb) up and down the east coast for the next few years.

I'll certainly provide feedback.

CKSlack

Dec 7, 2019
Truck Year
The VM 3.0 does well in HWY use. And even My OAs were all good. I foamed the Plenum at 12/24K miles and both (EGR/Plenum) needed replacement at 41K.

Yes there is 2019s, I thought the same as you, IMO Fiat just rebadged the 2018 to 19.

I worked closely with the team to develop downstream return Gases for EGR lower NOx, In theory it sounds good, in operation its a mechanical and software problematic.

Fait cannot change the laws that govern out environment , its going to take this much power (BTUs) to move objects. Small Displacement Dsl work only when needed HP can be produce at no or low boost conditions, when the boost is increased the Cyl pressure also increases, this causes the flame temps to raise Thus creating NOx, external EGR are used to return exhaust gases to intake to lower the Flame temps.

Engines operation is severely crippled with EGR, the Higher the % of EGR the more effect on engine operation, and the 3.0VM is dirty engine
The Engine does well in Europe were the cars are 3000Lbs, Now asking it to push Rams 1500 at 6000Lbs couple that with Tow ratings and mix driving is a lethal comb.

The VM3.0 operation requires 4-12LBs of boost with truck alone= High Cly temps=More NOx=More EGR.

Most of the VM3.0 (In America) at 200K+ are tuned.

I look forward to your feedback.

VM/GM original design was for Cady's in Europe, again a car at 3000/3400Lbs

TC....

Thought I would go research a bit more about EGR, DEF and the whole process of how it works... You seem to have a vast knowledge of these items and wondered what you thought about this short video... is this pretty much hitting the nail on the head?

Thx

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Mauro speaks like nothing is wrong and How they have improved the 3.0VM, its typical of how marketing works in the world today, its OK to deceive by smooth words, heck Serigo Died telling the world that if you think the 3.0 is breaking CAA you are smoking something Illegal.

FCA is not promoting the 3.0VM its all VM/Fiat. No one at FCA in America is going to risk doing Prison Time on VM deceptions... They would rather be unemployed.

The Video starts of as FCA and Mauro Orgins are American, Mauro roots can be trace right to Cento Italy.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
It is also My understanding that Mauro took over as head of the 3.0VM Spokesmen Here in America in Jan19.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Look at the location of the low side EGR.

1575821844388.png1575821844388.png2020-Ram-1500-EcoDiesel-engine-detail-2 (1).jpg

CKSlack

Dec 7, 2019
Truck Year
Bet that engineer never turned a wrench a day in his life.

I bet it worked flawlessly in the virtual simulator.... and CAD drawings it all matches up.... Just hope like hell that they put it through plenty of real world experiences.

CKSlack

Dec 7, 2019
Truck Year
Mauro speaks like nothing is wrong and How they have improved the 3.0VM, its typical of how marketing works in the world today, its OK to deceive by smooth words, heck Serigo Died telling the world that if you think the 3.0 is breaking CAA you are smoking something Illegal.

FCA is not promoting the 3.0VM its all VM/Fiat. No one at FCA in America is going to risk doing Prison Time on VM deceptions... They would rather be unemployed.

The Video starts of as FCA and Mauro Orgins are American, Mauro roots can be trace right to Cento Italy.

A lot of slick talk... I'm gonna find out of its smoke and mirrors or hopefully they got it right this time. :)

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
A lot of slick talk... I'm gonna find out of its smoke and mirrors or hopefully they got it right this time. :)
Just remember fca suggests marshmallows, graham crackers and Hershey’s chocolate bars in the center console Incase the engine decides that a bonfire is in order!