• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Soot Buildup, Melted Intake

ag1001

Oct 28, 2019
Truck Year
2015 Ecodiesel - 64,000 miles

About 3 weeks ago I was driving home going about 70 on the freeway and out of no where, my truck seemed to lose power. Everything stayed on like normal, but I wasn't able to accelerate. The oil pressure light turned on as I managed to get to the shoulder & turn the truck off. I left it off for a few minutes and tried turning it back on. I turned the key, but it didn't want to turn over. Eventually after a few minutes, it started and the oil pressure light turned off, only to be replaced by a check engine light & a message to service the electronic throttle control. I was able to drive it to the dealership (barely) while it sounded like a humming noise came from the engine.

It was at the dealer for a few days when they called me and told me the air intake was melted on the inside and had to call Chrysler engineering to get a tech out there because they never seen that happen before. About a week later they called me back telling me there was soot build up which melted the air intake, and caused the EGR valve to stay open. (I am not mechanically savvy at all, so I'm not sure that that means). All in all, I was told the intake manifold, fuel filter, air filter, several fuel lines , EGR valve and EGR components would have to be replaced and to expect a $6000 bill.

I'm never the person to try and complain to get something for cheaper or even free, but they were telling me I had to pay it all myself because it wouldn't be covered under warranty. Maybe I'm missing something, but how is something like that not under warranty. They said even though the EGR is under emissions warranty, the soot buildup would be considered negligence and since the EGR wasn't the root of the problem, I would be stuck with the entirety of the bill.

So is there anyone that experienced something similar to this and maybe has more knowledge as to why it wouldn't be covered under warranty. Thanks in advance.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I'd fight that.. call FCA and file a case ASAP! I'd counter with the question asking does FCA offer a maintenance schedule for the EGR Cooler? What could you (the customer) have done that's documented to keep this from happening.

gofishingup

Sep 2, 2019
Truck Year
I had the same exact results with mine this past Labor Day. Same sounds, etc. They told me to drive it in but I said they needed to tow it in. The intake melted a hole through it. It took two weeks to replace and everything was covered by the warranty. The mechanic indicated if I had to pay it would be about $6,000. Sounds like the same exact thing you had. They never disputed it was covered by the warranty, it's a 2016 with 56,000 miles. The motor sucks and has been a headache. A week after the computer update I get another light on and off to the dealer. This time it's a transmission coolant by-pass valve. Now the dealer says this is not covered by the warranty and will cost $600 to repair. So a melted hole in the intake (obviously a cooling issue) is covered but a cooling valve associated with the transmission is not covered. FCA is speaking with a forked tongue. I'm in the process of trying to rectify the matter with FCA, if it doesn't work, I'll sue them. Under Michigan Consumer Protection Act law, if I'm successful, FCA has to pay my attorney fees and costs.

Anyone reading this post, if you're considering buying this 3.0 ecodiesel, DON'T, YOU WILL BE IN FOR MAJOR HEADACHES. Hope it works out for you.

ag1001

Oct 28, 2019
Truck Year
I had the same exact results with mine this past Labor Day. Same sounds, etc. They told me to drive it in but I said they needed to tow it in. The intake melted a hole through it. It took two weeks to replace and everything was covered by the warranty. The mechanic indicated if I had to pay it would be about $6,000. Sounds like the same exact thing you had. They never disputed it was covered by the warranty, it's a 2016 with 56,000 miles. The motor sucks and has been a headache. A week after the computer update I get another light on and off to the dealer. This time it's a transmission coolant by-pass valve. Now the dealer says this is not covered by the warranty and will cost $600 to repair. So a melted hole in the intake (obviously a cooling issue) is covered but a cooling valve associated with the transmission is not covered. FCA is speaking with a forked tongue. I'm in the process of trying to rectify the matter with FCA, if it doesn't work, I'll sue them. Under Michigan Consumer Protection Act law, if I'm successful, FCA has to pay my attorney fees and costs.

Anyone reading this post, if you're considering buying this 3.0 ecodiesel, DON'T, YOU WILL BE IN FOR MAJOR HEADACHES. Hope it works out for you.

I opened a case with the FCA agaisnt my local dealership, so I'm looking forward to hearing from them soon. I posted this same thread on another forum and others have said they got this same issue covered by warranty. Something strange is happening here and I'm not liking it. What they might notice is that I seem like an uninformed customer so they are trying to take advantage. Whatever the case is, I hope to have an update soon.