• The official site for FCA settlement information and questions is located at https://www.ecodieselsettlement.com/
  • Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The U.S. officially sues FCA over EcoDiesel emissions.

Tow Happy

May 14, 2016
Truck Year
I have just over 21k on my 2015 Ecodiesel. Most of it towing a 25 foot travel trailer. No half ton truck can beat the fuel mileage towing or solo. No problems, I learned long ago not to mess with the factory tune unless you like spending money to fix your mistakes.

Sandy

Feb 6, 2017
Truck Year
I think Sandy, in a previous post, is a Fiat Chrysler troll.... Who would else would assume that these problems are not common, given the frequency of engine failures mentioned on this forum. And others.

Sandy

Feb 6, 2017
Truck Year
I am not a troll ???...whatever that is....I bought my 2014 ecodiesel in October 2014....I now have 56K trouble-free miles, towing a 6000 lb car and enclosed trailer cross country many times....Averaging 13-15 MPG.....Only problem was a fan relay switch at 1200 miles....I have the truck serviced evary 10K miles or so at dealer, and replaced fuel filter twice.....I still would recommend the ecodiesel, and believe me, if all the engines were defective or even 15%, there would have been lawsuits all over the place, and recalls....I remember when Ford had huge diesel engine problems, and had many trucks turned in for buybacks.....I am not saying there aren't going to be a certain amount of defective engines or bearings, or whatever, just don't though the baby out with the bath water....

Mic Tod

Jun 6, 2017
Truck Year
The engine you are referring to is rated one of the finest of its kind in the world, and from reading many forums about the ecodiesel, there are relatively few stories of engine failures...certainly no more than any other vehicles....It's very unfortunate that there are any failures...It would be helpful if you could tell us how the warranty service was, and if the vehicle preformed well afterwords, rather than making blanket statements, that all of the engines are crap....
I've heard very little bad about the amazing VM Motori engine as compared to all the raves. There are bad engines in all the brands made, too bad you got a bad one. It happens. I too have one and I am hoping I didn't get one like yours. Sorry you had the grief - good luck with the lemon law!

Mic Tod

Jun 6, 2017
Truck Year
I smell a rat in all this. Fiat-Chrysler's introduction of the small diesel into the 1/2 ton market was a game-changer and one the neither Ford nor GM were ready for. Too bad, the VM Motori motor was 50% owned by GM before they gave up on it and sold their rights to it to Chrysler. Fiat owned the other half already.
Jeffrey Immelt, a huge Democrat donor to both the Clintons and the Obamas heads up GM. One need not look much further for a 'reason' for the lawsuit. GM is attempting to reign FCA in, while they play catch-up. IMO. We'll see if the new president has anything to say about all this - he's the man with the hands on the controls now.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
This motor is Hero or Zero Status , it is plague with problems, For those that use it in daily operation in Hwy use they are holding up well, The Family use will be costly... VM QC is beyond shocking ad that to FCA handling the Legality matters is more reprehensible.

I'm fortunate to have a hero, Here's the OA , the 1% fuel form the Plenum foaming and Aggressive Regen prior to sample, it was expected.

I have received calls from owners on 2nd-3rd Motors and failing early mileage to as high as 137K Miles. Generally the common failure rotating mass.

Attachments

• 15 ECODIESEL-1500 Blackstone 6 17.pdf
    23.4 KB · Views: 24

virtualmechanic

Oct 7, 2016
Truck Year
I think this whole lawsuit thread is a hoax. If the suit is true, why is FCA getting a green light from EPA to resume sales?

This is from Wards Auto “The filing is the result of many months of close collaboration between FCA US and EPA and CARB, including extensive testing of the vehicles, to clarify issues related to the company’s emissions control technology,” FCA statement says.<br />
<br />
The statement concludes that FCA believes its actions should “facilitate a prompt resolution” of legal issues raised by the Environment and Natural Resources Division of the U.S. Department of Justice and other governmental agencies.<br />
<br />
Once the certification is approved, owners of the diesel-equipped vehicles will be able to receive the software updates at their dealerships. <font color="#008000">FCA says the update will reduce emissions without impacting engine performance or fuel efficiency.</font><br />
<br />
The 3.0L EcoDiesel V-6 was a Wards 10 Best Engines winner in 2014, 2015 and 2016, cited for its power, refinement and fuel efficiency. The engine was a nominee for 2017 but was not a 4-time winner.&quot;<br />
<br />
I'm sure the Glum and Doom crowd will* have something to say about the highlighted portion on the 2014-2016 diesel updates. But FCA is claiming there will be no drop in fuel mileage.

fhedrickjr

Dec 15, 2016
Truck Year
Just turned over 16k miles. Have been on long road trips both unladen and towing. 3,400 lbs worth of trailer and atvs and 5,800 lbs worth of 24' travel camper. No issues at all so far. I will say I am second guessing myself on whether or not I am going to go through with the purchase option when my 3/36 lease runs out. I really love this truck. Time will tell. Ram&Camper.jpeg

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I think this whole lawsuit thread is a hoax. If the suit is true, why is FCA getting a green light from EPA to resume sales?

This is from Wards Auto “The filing is the result of many months of close collaboration between FCA US and EPA and CARB, including extensive testing of the vehicles, to clarify issues related to the company’s emissions control technology,” FCA statement says.<br />
<br />
The statement concludes that FCA believes its actions should “facilitate a prompt resolution” of legal issues raised by the Environment and Natural Resources Division of the U.S. Department of Justice and other governmental agencies.<br />
<br />
Once the certification is approved, owners of the diesel-equipped vehicles will be able to receive the software updates at their dealerships. <font color="#008000">FCA says the update will reduce emissions without impacting engine performance or fuel efficiency.</font><br />
<br />
The 3.0L EcoDiesel V-6 was a Wards 10 Best Engines winner in 2014, 2015 and 2016, cited for its power, refinement and fuel efficiency. The engine was a nominee for 2017 but was not a 4-time winner.&quot;<br />
<br />
I'm sure the Glum and Doom crowd will* have something to say about the highlighted portion on the 2014-2016 diesel updates. But FCA is claiming there will be no drop in fuel mileage.
More deception form FCA.. CDX (central data exchange) is the 1st Step in certification 1 out of 100 , its another shot over the bow. at this point until the DOJ or the EPA official announcement is made I don't believe anything FCA CORP states, I'm shock how easily humans are duped into thinking FCA in control, they are NOT and facing Billions in fines... The bottom legal line is if you allow FCA to break laws on selling that violates laws you might as well allow the local meth dealer sells also , I'm sure not one comment in this thread other than Myself have spoken to Reps at the EFA,DOJ, or the NVFEL... the real Hoax is believeing the falsehood media news..

yx9229ic

Jan 19, 2016
Truck Year
Amen!!!

At least someone joins me in agreement that there is a huge problem with these engines.

Its time for class action law suit against FCA

My engine threw two rod bearings at 29,000 miles, but FCA replaced the engine and I have since put 80,000 miles on the new engine and it runs great. Like VW, maybe we will all get a settlement ($5,000). I love the power of these engines, compared to the underpowered v-6 gas engines. Try pulling a boat with the V-6 gas engine; you will be unable to pass vehicles.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I've ask 1 owner to come and tell his ownership of his 2015 that has 107KM on 2nd Motor FCA just denied warranty, I spoke to him last week..He has given up on FCA Canada and hopes the criminal charges the DOJ filed in America will force FCA to buy back his Truck.

OAs IMO are mandatory. it will clearly show Hero or Zero Status , OAs must have establish trends like the 1 I posted.

Last edited:

yx9229ic

Jan 19, 2016
Truck Year

Mic Tod

Jun 6, 2017
Truck Year
I have just over 21k on my 2015 Ecodiesel. Most of it towing a 25 foot travel trailer. No half ton truck can beat the fuel mileage towing or solo. No problems, I learned long ago not to mess with the factory tune unless you like spending money to fix your mistakes.
Good to know (about the tunes) cause you sure do hear a lot about them. One improvement that will not void the warranty is a bolt on Cold Air Intake (K&N or S&B's). I am hearing claims by owners of an improvement of up to 4 mpg for the simple $300 up-grade?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I am hearing claims by owners of an improvement of up to 4 mpg for the simple $300 up-grade?

That's very, very unlikely! Of all the new modern diesels I've had, intakes have done nothing more than give a little better sound in most cases.

I don't have one, but if they can say I'll get even 2 MPG better I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Mic Tod

Jun 6, 2017
Truck Year
That's very, very unlikely! Of all the new modern diesels I've had, intakes have done nothing more than give a little better sound in most cases.

I don't have one, but if they can say I'll get even 2 MPG better I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
Yeah, I'm pretty skeptical myself, but hopeful.
I have yet to pull my trailer with mine but I'm getting around 26+ combined which is great for a half-ton. I also still own my '01 Dodge with the Magnum V-8 and it only gets around 14 (un-loaded) on a good day.

Capsfloyd

Apr 30, 2017
Truck Year
These engines are the biggest piece of crap on the market. I purchased one in July of 2014. In 2 years the engine needed replaced. 21,000 miles on it. I no longer own it. My coworker got one a month after me. Has since filed lemon law on it. His neighbor purchased one and the engine went and he no longer owns it. Fiat Chrysler should be thanking the feds for not allowing them to sell these scrap piles to unsuspecting Americans, who are expecting to get a trouble free engine.
2014 had a lot of EGR problems . My 2015 had been flawless . Lonhorn edition, rambox, air suspension, 4wd.

Mic Tod

Jun 6, 2017
Truck Year
These engines are the biggest piece of crap on the market. I purchased one in July of 2014. In 2 years the engine needed replaced. 21,000 miles on it. I no longer own it. My coworker got one a month after me. Has since filed lemon law on it. His neighbor purchased one and the engine went and he no longer owns it. Fiat Chrysler should be thanking the feds for not allowing them to sell these scrap piles to unsuspecting Americans, who are expecting to get a trouble free engine.
I was strongly warned by friends of mine NOT to buy my then 2001 Dodge 1500 4x4 with the Magnum V-8 in 2004. They said it would never last and the front-end would go out on it at 50K. I still have it today and it has 168K miles on it. No front end issues, no engine issues, not nothing except brakes, battery and oil changes. Go figure -

Reimaster

Dec 26, 2016
Truck Year
Taken from the New York Times, May 23d, 2017: United States officials view the Fiat Chrysler matter as less serious (than VW), and stopped short of accusing the company of intentionally engineering the software to cheat on emissions tests. Filing the suit is seen as an effort to accelerate settlement negotiations, after the company outlined its proposal last Friday to reset the engine software in the affected vehicles.

Not having an insider's view of what's going on, I interpret this as meaning there is a light at the end of this unfortunate tunnel. I must be honest, I like my Ecodiesel the way it is but only time will tell.

Mic Tod

Jun 6, 2017
Truck Year
Taken from the New York Times, May 23d, 2017: United States officials view the Fiat Chrysler matter as less serious (than VW), and stopped short of accusing the company of intentionally engineering the software to cheat on emissions tests. Filing the suit is seen as an effort to accelerate settlement negotiations, after the company outlined its proposal last Friday to reset the engine software in the affected vehicles.

Not having an insider's view of what's going on, I interpret this as meaning there is a light at the end of this unfortunate tunnel. I must be honest, I like my Ecodiesel the way it is but only time will tell.
It's too early for me to make a judgement yet, since I have only owned my eco for a week now, but already I know this: it gets 26+ mpg combined, runs beautifully (so far) and is very hard to locate any used models, regardless of year (14-16) in the state due to a lack of trade-ins. Apparently their owners are hanging on to the majority of them. I am one that hopes my vehicle will not be recalled to have any software changes that might affect mileage. It seems to me getting 26+ mpg out of a gallon of #2 diesel fuel (common highway diesel) has GOT to be better for our environment than a vehicle getting 18.