• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Transmission Temperature Fluxuation

Roland

Mar 29, 2016
Truck Year
Is there some kind of thermostat or thermal controller on the transmissions? I noticed on mine the temp can go up to 93c or 200f. unloaded and stay there for awhile. then it can drop down to 82c or 180f. the coolant stays the same temp throughout out this temp fluxuation. 2016 big horn 4x4 3.92 gears. I changed out the front grille to a honeycomb style. noticed the coolant and oil temp runs a little cooler.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Is there some kind of thermostat or thermal controller on the transmissions? I noticed on mine the temp can go up to 93c or 200f. unloaded and stay there for awhile. then it can drop down to 82c or 180f. the coolant stays the same temp throughout out this temp fluxuation. 2016 big horn 4x4 3.92 gears. I changed out the front grille to a honeycomb style. noticed the coolant and oil temp runs a little cooler.

Those temps are nothing to worry about, however, I'm not totally sure how the cooling system works around the transmission.

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
Coolant not required for cabin heat is directed to the transmission heater. Coolant flow is directed by a pulse width modulated ball valve located upstream of the cabin heater coolant supply. Coolant first goes to the 3-way valve inlet port. The coolant valve receives a signal from the engine controller directing to turn the ball valve in accordance with the heater demand. The transmission heater is an assembly containing an oil-to-water heat exchanger and a thermal bypass valve (TBV). The coolant that is sent from the 3-way valve warms the transmission fluid in order to get it up to the ideal operating temperature.