• The official site for FCA settlement information and questions is located at https://www.ecodieselsettlement.com/
  • Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Unhappy with Performance after Emissions Recall Update

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Here's a description of the U53 recall.

U53 recall (also known as T25)(rollover/seatbelts/airbag)
The Occupant Restraint Control (ORC) module on your truck may be involved in "low
information" rollover events where there is not enough information to discriminate the event at
the target deployment time for the Side Air Bag Inflatable Curtain (SABIC). In these events,
due to limited information at the target deployment time, the ORC may deploy only seat belt
pretensioners once enough information is available to make the deployment decision.

Bighead-Todd

Aug 20, 2019
Truck Year
I'm very disappointed with the emissions update. Just waiting to get in an accident, acceleration from start sometimes good, sometimes slow, sometimes floored with no response for 2-4 seconds very scary! Went on road trip to High Sierra's I've been there many times with this truck, after the update, transmission down shifts a lot where it never did before, fuel economy went down by 4 miles per gallon. It was so bad I took it back to the dealer thinking the update was installed wrong but nope, they told me everyone who got the update was complaining about the same things I was but nothing they could do about it. I've filled out all the paper work to receive my refund for making my truck compliant but I would sooner have my truck back from before the update!!! Anyone have any ideas where to go from here? Is there a new lawsuit to join? Let me know??
I have the exact same results as Stevei except that I have TWO ecodiesels, a 2014 4WD Laramie Longhorn (107,000 miles) and a 2016 Grand Cheorkee Summit (42,000 miles) and they both have the dangerous acceleration from a stop, lost 4 - 8 mpg depending on conditions, truck won't move if the door is open (this sounds like a safety update but there are times when I need to back up slowly with the door open...but not anymore!), more downshifts on cruise control, and turbo leap. So, I spent over $110,000 on the vehicles and now we are going to sell both at a huge loss. I can't even do a delete because in Colorado there is a mandatory emissions check every two years.

I did call NICELY to the ecodieselsettlement hotline to see what could be done to fix it and they scheduled me with the dealer to check for codes. I told them I had both vehicles in already after the AEM update to see if there was a problem and there were no codes on either vehicle so the dealer told us to call FCA because the dealer didn't have any options to move forward. The ecodieselsettlement folks said they needed to do it to establish a baseline.

Here is the kicker and it is a big one. I received the contract to have signed and notorized in order to receive the settlement and it says I will hold FCA harmless for basically anything that happens from this point on (besides the items on the extended warranty). Since the issue above doesn't fall under the extended warranty, I was worried that by signing the document FCA wouldn't stand by me in the future with this issue....SO I CALLED the ecodieselsettlement hotline to find out if this was the case. They exact words were "You may want to consult an attorney before signing it if you are concerned".

John

Nov 13, 2015
I have the exact same results as Stevei except that I have TWO ecodiesels, a 2014 4WD Laramie Longhorn (107,000 miles) and a 2016 Grand Cheorkee Summit (42,000 miles) and they both have the dangerous acceleration from a stop, lost 4 - 8 mpg depending on conditions, truck won't move if the door is open (this sounds like a safety update but there are times when I need to back up slowly with the door open...but not anymore!), more downshifts on cruise control, and turbo leap. So, I spent over $110,000 on the vehicles and now we are going to sell both at a huge loss. I can't even do a delete because in Colorado there is a mandatory emissions check every two years.

I did call NICELY to the ecodieselsettlement hotline to see what could be done to fix it and they scheduled me with the dealer to check for codes. I told them I had both vehicles in already after the AEM update to see if there was a problem and there were no codes on either vehicle so the dealer told us to call FCA because the dealer didn't have any options to move forward. The ecodieselsettlement folks said they needed to do it to establish a baseline.

Here is the kicker and it is a big one. I received the contract to have signed and notorized in order to receive the settlement and it says I will hold FCA harmless for basically anything that happens from this point on (besides the items on the extended warranty). Since the issue above doesn't fall under the extended warranty, I was worried that by signing the document FCA wouldn't stand by me in the future with this issue....SO I CALLED the ecodieselsettlement hotline to find out if this was the case. They exact words were "You may want to consult an attorney before signing it if you are concerned".
Buckle the seat belt behind you or put on a seat belt extender for a couple bucks and you won't hane the door open issue.
Install a tune GDE or SFT and your truck will be great. No delete is necessary.

Last edited:

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
^^^^^^
Good advice & well worth it

Bighead-Todd

Aug 20, 2019
Truck Year
Everyone should file a complaint with Chrysler and the NHTSA at safercar.gov. This is more than a performance issue.....IT IS A SAFETY ISSUE. The more that express their dissatisfaction with the recall , the quicker the NHTSA will look into it. If you take the time to vent on this forum, take a little more time and vent to the NHTSA.

Like several have stated, we now have a sluggish truck to appease the EPA.
That is a good idea! I just went to safercar.gov and filed a complaint.

ramman21

Jul 26, 2019
Truck Year
If I were you I would complete the emission update, collect the refund and go get it tuned. But it would leave you out of any further actions taken against FCA in this matter after signing the release from. I think there's more to come, these are just my though's.
I was told that signing the release only related to the present upgrade on the emissions and would not stop you from obtaining further litigation

Bighead-Todd

Aug 20, 2019
Truck Year
Buckle the seat belt behind you or put on a seat belt extender for a couple bucks and you won't hane the door open issue.
Install a tune GDE or SFT and your truck will be great. No delete is necessary.
Thanks for the reply. Do I have to do a flash back to original to pass the emissions test or will it pass emissions with the tune in place?

John

Nov 13, 2015
Thanks for the reply. Do I have to do a flash back to original to pass the emissions test or will it pass emissions with the tune in place?
With SFT you can flash back to stock at any time. GDE will pass in all states. GDE won't sell to you if your truck is registered in CA.

Bighead-Todd

Aug 20, 2019
Truck Year
I was told that signing the release only related to the present upgrade on the emissions and would not stop you from obtaining further litigation
Was that your attorney that said that? If so, could you share his contact information. It might be useful for the follow on class action suit because now FCA after looking at the truck results says it is operating within the design parameters so there is nothing else they will do on their dime.

Bighead-Todd

Aug 20, 2019
Truck Year
With SFT you can flash back to stock at any time. GDE will pass in all states. GDE won't sell to you if your truck is registered in CA.
Thanks John. I live in Colorado which is quickly transforming into California so the emissions testing is still there but not as bad as California yet...until more libtards take over the state legislature.

3js

May 13, 2019
Truck Year
Just got back from dealership after oil change and supposedly a mandatory upgrade. They stated that they did not have or hear of issues with upgrade. Got out on the road and everything I read is exactly true. Shift points have changed, big turbo lag and that is just three miles own the road. I am not a happy person right now. I feel the service manager either is not telling me the truth or just doesn't want to dal with me complaining. I will be heading out on a 400 mile trip this weekend and if my milage goes south I will be back ( as I told them) at the dealership next week. I do not like getting lied to and they had to know about the issues of the recall. I know I am in a no win with the dealership and Ram but I am going to send in for the money for the class action lawsuit and us it for a tuner to make the engine do what it shows to. I will tell the dealership to not flash my ECM when I get oil changes or just perform my own. One would think Fiat and Chrysler could have done better on this issue. This is my last Chrysler product i will ever by again.

Bighead-Todd

Aug 20, 2019
Truck Year
Just got back from dealership after oil change and supposedly a mandatory upgrade. They stated that they did not have or hear of issues with upgrade. Got out on the road and everything I read is exactly true. Shift points have changed, big turbo lag and that is just three miles own the road. I am not a happy person right now. I feel the service manager either is not telling me the truth or just doesn't want to dal with me complaining. I will be heading out on a 400 mile trip this weekend and if my milage goes south I will be back ( as I told them) at the dealership next week. I do not like getting lied to and they had to know about the issues of the recall. I know I am in a no win with the dealership and Ram but I am going to send in for the money for the class action lawsuit and us it for a tuner to make the engine do what it shows to. I will tell the dealership to not flash my ECM when I get oil changes or just perform my own. One would think Fiat and Chrysler could have done better on this issue. This is my last Chrysler product i will ever by again.
You will see a degrading of your mileage so be prepared. As far as the dealer lying goes, I jumped to that conclusion as well but after sitting down with the service manager I realized they were as much in the dark as we were. There was no communication from FCA to them regarding complaints and potential issues. He said (and I believe them) that my complaint to the dealership was the first customer to complain about the update but as of last Friday, he had 22 others that had called with the same issues so he escalated to FCA engineering and the dealer is going to work with the engineers while the truck is in the shop.

3js

May 13, 2019
Truck Year
You will see a degrading of your mileage so be prepared. As far as the dealer lying goes, I jumped to that conclusion as well but after sitting down with the service manager I realized they were as much in the dark as we were. There was no communication from FCA to them regarding complaints and potential issues. He said (and I believe them) that my complaint to the dealership was the first customer to complain about the update but as of last Friday, he had 22 others that had called with the same issues so he escalated to FCA engineering and the dealer is going to work with the engineers while the truck is in the shop.
Yet we the consumer surfers. It is so sad. Maybe all of us ecodiesel owners should file our own class action lawsuit. All it is going to take is a bad accident someone will have due to the changes of performance. As we all know it is not the same vehicle we purchased after the recall changes that were installed.

Bighead-Todd

Aug 20, 2019
Truck Year
I agree, I really believe it is dangerous and not just saying that because I am pissed. I have already had a few close calls and road rage from other drivers.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Others have talked about the close calls and honestly I think it's hilarious. This is the first report of road rage I've heard about.

Bighead-Todd

Aug 20, 2019
Truck Year
Others have talked about the close calls and honestly I think it's hilarious. This is the first report of road rage I've heard about.
When I first read the other posts (before I got the update), I was laughing too. But now instead of yelling at drivers pulling out in front of me and going slow, it is ME who is doing it. I feel emasculated! :)

3js

May 13, 2019
Truck Year
Well let me put it this way. I never had to bury the accelerator to get the truck moving at a steady pace from zero to thirty. Now there is a lag and the engine powers up at about 3000 rpm. It NEVER was like this. I now wish I would have taken before and after video of tack and speedo which would surly put the facts in line. I told myself when I got into my truck from the dealership to be open minded and ignore all the complaints. All I can say it is truly a different performing engine.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Well let me put it this way. I never had to bury the accelerator to get the truck moving at a steady pace from zero to thirty. Now there is a lag and the engine powers up at about 3000 rpm. It NEVER was like this. I now wish I would have taken before and after video of tack and speedo which would surly put the facts in line. I told myself when I got into my truck from the dealership to be open minded and ignore all the complaints. All I can say it is truly a different performing engine.
So that sounds more like a transmission slipping issue if it's revving up to 3,000 RPM.

oldkartracer

Aug 7, 2019
Truck Year
I'm not a happy camper either. I just filed the following complaint on the government website - NHTSA.gov

It only takes a few minutes. I would suggest that anyone who is unhappy about this recall file a complaint also. The more the merrier!

"re: 2015 Ram 1500 pickup with 3.0 Ecodiesel engine and automatic transmission

Following the V08 emissions recall, drivability has been seriously reduced and has created dangerous throttle lag and improper automatic transmission gear selection. I would summarize these issues as turbo lag and improper shift mapping.

When accelerating from a complete stop there is a 2-3 second lag before the vehicle begins to move even if the throttle is fully depressed. If you are executing a right or left turn into traffic or crossing an intersection this will leave you exposed to a "T-Bone" collision.

After this lag it will then accelerate rapidly at full throttle, much faster than you are expecting. if you are executing a turn this could cause loss of control or a wider turn than desired, possibly into another lane of traffic or off the far side of the road.

This behavior is even more pronounced when the vehicle has not been run (cold engine). Climbing a moderate hill shortly after pulling out of my driveway forces the driver to manually downshift the automatic transmission to first gear to get any forward travel. Again, the vehicle will rapidly accelerate after the 2-3 second lag. Once returning to "Drive" at 15-25 MPH the transmission will up-shift several gears and then begin slowing, dropping engine RPM to 1,000, again forcing a manual down-shift to second or third gear to maintain speed. The engine produces almost no power until the engine reaches 2000 RPM.

All of this behavior began after the noted recall. I have contacted a Ram dealer regarding this performance and was told that this is a common complaint. They mentioned that the factory was aware of this but has no remedy available."
I thought it might be worthwhile to re- post this for the new readers.
I urge all owners to file a complaint. Again, this not the EPA, this is the highway safety guys.

Maybe we could get EPA to care if we point out that a few spoonfuls of some toxic material (blood? ) could be spilled in the event of a recall caused accident!