• The official site for FCA settlement information and questions is located at https://www.ecodieselsettlement.com/
  • Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Unhappy with Performance after Emissions Recall Update

Suprshol

Sep 7, 2019
Truck Year
New member here. Just want to add my experience. I had the same issues others are having. I think the software update only allows the truck to start rolling in 2nd or 3rd gear, it won’t downshift. I have a steep uphill driveway and the truck could barely climb it. If I shift manually, no problem. I solved the issue by installing a Banks Derringer tuner (even legal in California, believe it or not) and always drive in tow/haul.

3js

May 13, 2019
Truck Year
It is interesting to read of all the different issues everyone is experiencing. On my trip last week I pulled my 20' fiberglass boat 400 miles. The lag is so terrible off line that there is a 3 -4 second crawl before it gets to the point where it jumps to 3000 rpm. It seems as if I am using more def than normal also. I use to get around 1000 miles/gal of def.

Question I do have will a tuner change all the parameters of the issues everyone is experiencing? I spoke with a different service manager at my dealership and he is aware of the issues. He basically said to install a tuner. I asked about warranty issues he told me to do not have us flash the truck and Chrysler will not know one was installed.

Northern Jet Diesel

Feb 5, 2019
Truck Year
Had the update done last month, same issues as Everyone else! Horrible Acceleration & Lag, drop in mileage and higher usage of DEF, and it's only Summer time! Not looking forward to another Prairie winter with these types of issues mounting. Will go back to Dealer but doubt they will acknowledge or do anything useful. Need to find an Dodge Diesel Mechanic close by Winnipeg, Manitoba to change something! The lag is Horrendous! Towing an two place sled trailer with 500lbs on it felt like an 28ft Travel Trailer into an wind!!! Very Disappointed

Wil

Jun 17, 2019
Truck Year
Well..... truck back at the dealership after having AEM Flash done. This makes twice it has sat at the dealership for over a week each time. Oh, the dealership does not offer a loaner .... but will gladly rent me a rental ??

Apparently, the flash will eventually cause the DPF to go bad! Service tech said it is a $3000 part, but is covered under the new AEM warranty.

Research shows that only replacing the DPF is not fixing the cause. I asked the tech about this and he agreed, but said that is all is available until an update is done to the AEM flash.

Will this nightmare ever end ?

Wil

Jun 17, 2019
Truck Year
So, the throttle lag is not a laughing matter.... it is a serious issue ! To those of us who have experienced the “pucker factor” because there was no throttle response will GREATLY disagree.

I agree that all NEED to file a complaint with the NHSTA and contact the Lieff Cabraser law firm, which is the lead firm in EPA Vs. FCA lawsiut. I have been corresponding with Wilson M. Dunlavey, Attorney with Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein. He has been very informative and helpful.

I was told by them that completing and signing the settlement offered will not be a “waiver” for FCA on other related issues.

The AEM/TCM Flash has caused several issues not just the loss in mpg and throttle lag. The newest symptoms are failing DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter), faulty O2 sensors, and EGR TURBO HOSE leaks.

My truck engine light came on and the service tech said the DPF was full and needed to be replaced. A $3000.00 part, luckily covered by the AEM/TCM warranty!

A parallel at Cabraser Heimann & Bernsteintold me today that there has been such a demand for the DPF replacements, they are OUT OF STOCK and on back order.

GOOD NEWS! The Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein law firm meets regularly with the Federal Judge and relays our concerns and issues. I was told that FCA should be coming out with some type of reflash update to correct the issues with the original flash.

I would again recommend to file a complaint with the NHSTA and contact Wilson Dunlavey at Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein Law Firm
([email protected]) .

I would rather spend my settlement money on what I WANT not something to make my truck perform like it should!

Marciaatoz

Sep 17, 2019
Truck Year
Like other posters I felt I was doing the right thing to go forward with the “Approved Emissions Modification” but feel betrayed by Jeep/Ram/Chrysler. I thought I was buying a clean diesel and one that I would enjoy for a long time. That is not the case.
About 10 days after modification the red light came on going through regen and about 2 miles later it went into a very scary limp mode. I had the accelerator floored and no response for about 5 seconds and once it did respond it was not over 20mph. I took it to the dealer and both they and Jeep/Ram/Chrysler department handling concerns said it needed to be malfunctioning at the time I bring it in. They did check it and it was below 10% which is acceptable. Eight days later the red light came on again, went though it’s thing and within 20 miles the light was off. The nearest Jeep dealer is 30 miles away. At this rate it would cycle through before any chance of getting to the dealership in limp mode. The acceleration definitely has a lag all the time. Mpg is about 12% less both freeway and around town. I feel that not only have I lost the expensive Jeep that I worked hard to pay for but I also do not feel safe with the handling/acceleration/limp mode. Is anyone else having frequent (about every 100mi or less) regens?

Sarge49

Sep 20, 2019
Truck Year
Having the same acceleration lag issue from stop while cold. Very dangerous! I was told by the dealer that a fix is in the works. Until then, I warm my engine using the block heater. Seems to help some but I am totally disgusted.

John Cusick

Apr 26, 2018
Truck Year
Hello,

I had the Emissions Recall updated 5/31/19 and am disappointed. The Performance is sluggish, shift points changed and shifts a little harder. Hills that required no downshifts before are requiring downshifts to 7th gear some as low as 5th. DO NOT get the update. Dealer cannot help, I have logged a complaint with Ram!
I am curious if you have noticed a hesitation in the initial acceleration. From a dead stop mine takes a few seconds before it moves then it accelerates suddenly.

Sarge49

Sep 20, 2019
Truck Year
So, the throttle lag is not a laughing matter.... it is a serious issue ! To those of us who have experienced the “pucker factor” because there was no throttle response will GREATLY disagree.

I agree that all NEED to file a complaint with the NHSTA and contact the Lieff Cabraser law firm, which is the lead firm in EPA Vs. FCA lawsiut. I have been corresponding with Wilson M. Dunlavey, Attorney with Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein. He has been very informative and helpful.

I was told by them that completing and signing the settlement offered will not be a “waiver” for FCA on other related issues.

The AEM/TCM Flash has caused several issues not just the loss in mpg and throttle lag. The newest symptoms are failing DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter), faulty O2 sensors, and EGR TURBO HOSE leaks.

My truck engine light came on and the service tech said the DPF was full and needed to be replaced. A $3000.00 part, luckily covered by the AEM/TCM warranty!

A parallel at Cabraser Heimann & Bernsteintold me today that there has been such a demand for the DPF replacements, they are OUT OF STOCK and on back order.

GOOD NEWS! The Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein law firm meets regularly with the Federal Judge and relays our concerns and issues. I was told that FCA should be coming out with some type of reflash update to correct the issues with the original flash.

I would again recommend to file a complaint with the NHSTA and contact Wilson Dunlavey at Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein Law Firm
([email protected]) .

I would rather spend my settlement money on what I WANT not something to make my truck perform like it should!
I retained an attorney, as well.

Ramcountry

Sep 20, 2019
Truck Year
Hello,

I had the Emissions Recall updated 5/31/19 and am disappointed. The Performance is sluggish, shift points changed and shifts a little harder. Hills that required no downshifts before are requiring downshifts to 7th gear some as low as 5th. DO NOT get the update. Dealer cannot help, I have logged a complaint with Ram!

computerdiehard

Jun 8, 2017
Truck Year
So, I have updated my ECU. I have the same results but my Banks derringer tuner eliminates it. But is causing the check engine light to come on due to the DPF filter being below average, lol. I just clear the code and runs normally again. After having the Banks derringer tune for 2 years I wish I would have bought the Green Diesel tune.

Ramcountry

Sep 20, 2019
Truck Year
I have had the same issues, loss of power, big delay in response, a few miles lower in gas milage. Just had mt EGR pump replaced under the warrenty though.

Sneeper

May 11, 2016
Truck Year
Boy am I glad I sold mine recently. It was the best truck I had ever owned until I did the update. I agree with the lag back thankfully I have a 2500 now...hope you guys get this figured out, it's just a load of crap! Plus they are taking forever to get you your money from that case, I filed my stuff over 3 months ago and still have nothing.

Rigram

Aug 15, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hi,

I have a 2018 1500 SLT, I have experienced this issue of the truck not responding since new. It seems to happen when I have been driving on the highway for awhile then turn onto an exit slowing down to enter the through lane and then when you need it most, no acceleration!
It has happened several times and always when trying to accelerate into the flow of traffic .

I am afraid that one of these times I am going to get t-boned or rear-ended.
I have had many drivers give me the what's your problem look or the high sign and I don't blame them, I would also wonder why the doofus in the Ram is entering the highway at such a slow rate when traffic is moving along @ 110Km (68 mph).

It seems like either the transmission isn't shifting down or the electronic throttle is late to respond.
Either way its scary.

When I complaind at the Dodge dealer they told me that would have to take their tech out for a drive and duplicate the issue as I described it, I did and couldn't make it happen.

So now what?

PS. my truck averages 9.3L/100Km = 25.5 US MPG

Dec 14, 2015
Truck Year
I have also noticed a lot of sluggishness when the engine is cold and more DEF consumption since the update. I have found that if I buy good fuel and avoid the chain mini mart fuel I get better performance. I am very happy with the truck and have not had any issues at all. Just towed a 26ft travel trailer thru western Virginia and West Virginia mountains and the truck performed fine, just give it a few minutes to warm up. I did notice a 2 mpg drop in fuel mileage this last trip but it was also in the high 80s low 90s, warmer than when I usually go camping.

James Pannell

Oct 26, 2018
Truck Year
Hello,

I agree. I only notice this when engine is cold. I’m careful to pull into traffic now. It use to have great pickup.

RKS

Sep 19, 2019
Truck Year
Go to safercar.gov and file a safety report. The sooner more people do this the sooner they will get Dodge to do something.

4wheelnh

Sep 16, 2016
Truck Year
Filed complaint with FCA and they said go to dealer and closed complaint. Filed complaint with safercar.gov . Dealers
have nothing, they are left in the dark with us.