• The official site for FCA settlement information and questions is located at https://www.ecodieselsettlement.com/
  • Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Unhappy with Performance after Emissions Recall Update

Doug Kilgore

Nov 21, 2019
Truck Year
You May want to read the settlement close. When you accept the terms of the settlement you waive any rights in a related suit.
Technically true. - but a new suit could be based on fraud in the way they induced people to accept the software update. They promised no change in performance, drivability, smoothness or fuel economy in all their marketing materials, their customer hotlines, and even the settlement documents. All of that was a lie which could be the grounds for a new suit based on fraud, or bad faith performance on their part on the existing suit-settlement. I’m not an attorney but this is what I’ve been told by one.

Reactions: CCW

CCW

Jun 11, 2019
Truck Year
Technically true. - but a new suit could be based on fraud in the way they induced people to accept the software update. They promised no change in performance, drivability, smoothness or fuel economy in all their marketing materials, their customer hotlines, and even the settlement documents. All of that was a lie which could be the grounds for a new suit based on fraud, or bad faith performance on their part on the existing suit-settlement. I’m not an attorney but this is what I’ve been told by one.
The actual wording FCA uses on the Ecodiesel claim site are: "the AEM is not expected to change any of your key vehicle attributes"...carefully worded to make you feel good about getting the recall done, but leave themselves a legal way to escape. I'm certain their defense would be that due to variability - every vehicle behaves differently and "some" vehicles "may" experience performance degradation (we are all "tails" cases of course). Unfortunately, those of us that got the recall done are stuck with the choices of "sucking it up" and hoping FCA will provide an improved update OR paying for a tune and hoping no warranties are voided if we are caught OR dumping the vehicle and getting something else. Wish I had a more positive outlook, but I don't see any evidence of FCA "stepping up" and taking care of their unhappy customers.

Wil

Jun 17, 2019
Truck Year
Yes indeed. Turbo lag is VERY bad since the update - especially when cold. Takes a few miles or a lot of idling to get it to respond somewhat normally, and even then it's not like it was prior to the flash.
:cautious: I had to make a left into traffic today and I was about t-boned due to poor acceleration response when I needed to get up and go.

I have had this experience three times now. I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA and FCA.

I have also reached out to the lead law firm that handled the EPA Lawsuit. ( Lieff , Cabraser, Herman and Bernstein- 1 800 541 7358.)

They have an attorney assigned to follow the progress of the flash - Wilson Dunlavey. They have been extremely helpful with getting my local dealership to provide a loaner while my truck has been in the shop. They also meet quarterly with FCA and the seated Federal Judge. Concerns and issues are discussed and like I said, they sent word that a loaner would be provided when my truck was brought in for AEM issues.

(. 5 trips to the dealership in the last 4 months/ over $7200 in parts/ and sat at dealership for 42 days!)

MARK T

Nov 27, 2019
Truck Year
Had my 16 flashed by dealer 3000 miles ago and is in the shop for the second time . All the problems everyone has . Monday afternoon i herd a pop an truck went to lemp mode . Dealer told me today they need to tear the motor down to find the problem . No codes but check engine light is on. I feel like it I have a blown turbo line. Will be calling FCA on Friday.

Stewart

Sep 4, 2019
Truck Year
Do we know if the recall concerning the failing EGR cooler is a result of the AEM flash or just an unrelated problem?
I am amazed that FCA would inform us that our trucks might catch on fire, that they do not have any idea when they will have a fix and that they are ok with dumping this problem on us and the dealers to monitor and decide if safe or not.

CCW

Jun 11, 2019
Truck Year
Do we know if the recall concerning the failing EGR cooler is a result of the AEM flash or just an unrelated problem?
I am amazed that FCA would inform us that our trucks might catch on fire, that they do not have any idea when they will have a fix and that they are ok with dumping this problem on us and the dealers to monitor and decide if safe or not.
Can't say for sure, but I suspect not AEM related since this seems to be a fatigue or time related failure of the coolant lines running through the EGR chamber. When this failure occurs coolant will start leaking into the exhaust chamber and mix with the hot exhaust. I think the problem of "no fix" is because the current replacement parts probably have the same risk for failure. I found this out because I brought my truck back to the dealer last week unannounced due to a foul smell I was getting in the cab every time I stopped or idled (smelled like a bus inside the cab). Also started making a chirping sound like a bearing was failing on the way to the dealer. Turns out the chirping was a solenoid inside the EGR and my coolant level was low as well...all the tell-tale signs of this failure and potential engine fire was imminent (think I got lucky). They gave me a loaner on the spot and asked me to leave the truck with them. They also told me that Chrysler has put a "hold" on all replacement parts so they couldn't give me an outlook for getting my truck fixed.
(WARNING TO ANYONE THAT READS THIS. IF YOU GET THE EGR SAFETY RECALL NOTICE - KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR COOLANT LEVEL. IF YOU START GETTING A NASTY ODOR INSIDE THE TRUCK WHEN IDLING OR AT A STOP LIGHT AND COOLANT LEVEL SEEMS LOW GET IT TO THE DEALER ASAP AS YOU ARE AT RISK FOR A FIRE)

tsmceo

Dec 4, 2019
Truck Year
Heard back from the law firm , they asked my permission to send my information to the DOJ and my VIN number. I also got my settlement check today, now I have to figure out what to do. Will wait a while and see if a fix comes, in the meantime I guess pay off the truck.
how did you contact the law firm i'd like to do same. thx

MARK T

Nov 27, 2019
Truck Year
I HAD THAT SAME SMELL AFTER MINE WAS FLASHED. NOW THE MOTOR IS LOCKED UP.

Dan Dement

Mar 4, 2016
Truck Year
Not Listed
After some small delays, I got my 2016 Grand Cherokee Summit tuned installed. DAMN, What a difference and improvement! Thanks Jimmy & Chris for their help. No Lag and runs GREAT!!!! Unbelievable difference. Pulls hard and much better than the original tune. Don’t Bitch about the poor Jeep Replacement tune, Just Sofa King it and you will be Very, very happy!!!

Dan Dement

Mar 4, 2016
Truck Year
Not Listed
Guess I'm a little surprised that Sofa King is still selling offering an ECM tune after the latest regulations on aftermarket products went into effect. I tried to purchase a GDE tune last month and was informed they couldn't sell one to me anymore. Let us know how the tune works for you.
Picked my Grand Cherokee piked up tonight and Damn does it run better! You will not believe the improvement!

ramraiders

Jul 14, 2019
Truck Year
After some small delays, I got my 2016 Grand Cherokee Summit tuned installed. DAMN, What a difference and improvement! Thanks Jimmy & Chris for their help. No Lag and runs GREAT!!!! Unbelievable difference. Pulls hard and much better than the original tune. Don’t Bitch about the poor Jeep Replacement tune, Just Sofa King it and you will be Very, very happy!!!
did you do an egr delete?

ramraiders

Jul 14, 2019
Truck Year
I just got the famous p20ee code and the smell. I brought the truck into the dealership and they are replacing the catalyst and EGR cooler with OEM for now. i will have to bring it back once new replacement parts are available. The question I have for the groups or anyone that has gotten the SFT and did an EGR delete. Do i have do anything to the truck besides install the tune for Stage 1 with EGR delete. I want to be able to put the truck back to stock for warranty work and inspection. Also if i do not delete the EGR is that a better state then this BS that we are getting from FCA.

ramraiders

Jul 14, 2019
Truck Year
I think everyone should send an email to the lead counsel and explain your situation. The more complaints they get the better chance that FCA is accountable for this. Believe me once the final fix is in I am tuning the truck. F dealing with this EGR timebomb. I at first could deal with the performance hit but now i have the infamous P20ee code. The truck is at the dealership getting a catalyst and EGR cooler installed. I am not looking to get killed riding the truck. i will be buying an SFT tune.

ramraiders

Jul 14, 2019
Truck Year
Another question has anyone had an issue with the truck once they replaced the catalyst and EGR cooler after they had the P20ee codes?
They are just replacing the current parts with the faulty EGR cooler. Any input on this would be helpful. I am wondering if the truck should be safe to drive for a while until they get a new design for the EGR cooler.

ramraiders

Jul 14, 2019
Truck Year
I have a 2016 ecodiesel the pickup itself I love but the emission crap is nothing but problems it's been in the shop every week to 2 weeks after that stupid recall back in July! How's yours running by now? My engine light just came on today again I got it back from the shop last Thursday it was there Monday thru Thursday it's been 1 week 2 days and it has to go back!
Was this the p20ee code. Did they replace your egr cooler and catalyst.

Dan Dement

Mar 4, 2016
Truck Year
Not Listed
I think everyone should send an email to the lead counsel and explain your situation. The more complaints they get the better chance that FCA is accountable for this. Believe me once the final fix is in I am tuning the truck. F dealing with this EGR timebomb. I at first could deal with the performance hit but now i have the infamous P20ee code. The truck is at the dealership getting a catalyst and EGR cooler installed. I am not looking to get killed riding the truck. i will be buying an SFT tune.
Buy the tune and you will not believe the improvement.

CCW

Jun 11, 2019
Truck Year
Another question has anyone had an issue with the truck once they replaced the catalyst and EGR cooler after they had the P20ee codes?
They are just replacing the current parts with the faulty EGR cooler. Any input on this would be helpful. I am wondering if the truck should be safe to drive for a while until they get a new design for the EGR cooler.
Wish I could tell you, but my truck is still sitting at the dealer waiting for parts (since before Thanksgiving):mad:. Service dept claims no replacement parts available...