• The official site for FCA settlement information and questions is located at https://www.ecodieselsettlement.com/
  • Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Unhappy with Performance after Emissions Recall Update

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
I am in CA and I am curious if they are actually forcing the AEM. In that case having a spare ECM would be nice - since they are reprogramming it anyway.
Well if they forced the new update I guess I will go to jail before I accept the new update, LOL.

CMvet

Nov 1, 2019
Truck Year
Well if they forced the new update I guess I will go to jail before I accept the new update, LOL.
I think you can decline the aem in california, and the dealer can sign a waiver/form for you to still allow you to register vehicle. At least it was offered to me when i had the aem done in november.

I'm going to see what the most recent update fixes/improves. If not enough "fix" then i may just get an sft tune. Bypass the EGR and just drive it till it dies.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I think you can decline the aem in california, and the dealer can sign a waiver/form for you to still allow you to register vehicle. At least it was offered to me when i had the aem done in november.

I'm going to see what the most recent update fixes/improves. If not enough "fix" then i may just get an sft tune. Bypass the EGR and just drive it till it dies.

That's really good news. Maybe CARB is losing some of its power now that there are so many lawyers involved with the AEM debacle.

Averia

Jan 16, 2020
Truck Year
Yeah that is what one dealership told me. There is an opt out. 3K is a paltry reimbursement sum to cripple an option whose cost was significantly more that.

Upsidedowncowboy

Feb 4, 2020
Truck Year
I'm glad I stumbled upon this forum because I wondered if my truck was just refusing to accelerate because of cold winter temps, but even on a warm day the lag is dangerous when pulling into traffic as others have noted. Between the update, the annoying regens one must do weekly, and the EGR part that has been on backorder for months nationwide with the consequence of the engine catching fire, owning an eco-diesel is becoming a nightmare.

GreenSpace10

Nov 7, 2020
Truck Year
I know it been a while since anyone has posted on this fourm. I thought I would throw in my experience. I bought my 2016 ED a few months ago. I wish I had found this fourm before hand I would have passed on the truck all together.

I bought my truck from my local RAM dealer. Truck drove fine for about a month. Then my truck was found to have a coolant leak. Dealer determined it was the EGR cooler and pulled my vehicle off the road and supplied me with a loaner. After getting the truck back in my possession 3 weeks ago I have noticed a significant performance lag, millage decrease, etc. Same as everyone else on this forum.

After checking with the dealer there were 2 other recalls done to my truck while it was in having the EGR cooler replaced, one being the AEM.

Last week my truck would not regen DPF hit 100% and entered limp mode. I towed it back to the dealer. They were able to reset the code and get the truck to regen, or at least according to them. I ran the truck for 2 days and the same thing happened again. Hooked back up to the tow truck and back to the dealer it went. They told me the DPF needs to be replaced. As the truck has no warranty it was almost $6k here in Canada. A couple days ago the truck coded again saying a NOx sensor went as did another $2k after the dealer replaced it.

I was super happy with my RAM prior to the update but seems to me that it will be a continued money pit now. As being in canada I get no reimbursement from the FCA nor any warranty.

I thought about grabbing the GDE tune but after the conversion its almost another $2k. At this point I am planning on selling the truck which of course will be at a great loss and looking for a new Chevy.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
GreenSpace You have merit to leave Ram.I just want to add that Ram or Fiat Chrysler America or North America not the Problem, Its Fiat and VM Motori of Italy The Maker of the 3.0...What angers Me is FPT (Fiat Power technology) has some of the Most Robust DSL in the World in their lineup.

Rams Gas versions get great Mileage and IMO the Best 1/2 (Gas) on the Pavement in North America.

The AEM may have effected Mileage and performance, The other problems Are VM Motori and Fiat relationship.

You Owners in CA are getting $%&$# IMO.

Northern Jet Diesel

Feb 5, 2019
Truck Year
I know it been a while since anyone has posted on this fourm. I thought I would throw in my experience. I bought my 2016 ED a few months ago. I wish I had found this fourm before hand I would have passed on the truck all together.

I bought my truck from my local RAM dealer. Truck drove fine for about a month. Then my truck was found to have a coolant leak. Dealer determined it was the EGR cooler and pulled my vehicle off the road and supplied me with a loaner. After getting the truck back in my possession 3 weeks ago I have noticed a significant performance lag, millage decrease, etc. Same as everyone else on this forum.

After checking with the dealer there were 2 other recalls done to my truck while it was in having the EGR cooler replaced, one being the AEM.

Last week my truck would not regen DPF hit 100% and entered limp mode. I towed it back to the dealer. They were able to reset the code and get the truck to regen, or at least according to them. I ran the truck for 2 days and the same thing happened again. Hooked back up to the tow truck and back to the dealer it went. They told me the DPF needs to be replaced. As the truck has no warranty it was almost $6k here in Canada. A couple days ago the truck coded again saying a NOx sensor went as did another $2k after the dealer replaced it.

I was super happy with my RAM prior to the update but seems to me that it will be a continued money pit now. As being in canada I get no reimbursement from the FCA nor any warranty.

I thought about grabbing the GDE tune but after the conversion its almost another $2k. At this point I am planning on selling the truck which of course will be at a great loss and looking for a new Chevy.
Understand Your frustration. Did You try FCA? I have same year of Truck & live on Canadian Prairies. My issue started with melting of EGR Actuator arm, got worse when they stated I had to pay in Full the over $5000 repair, as the Recall wasn't in Canada yet, only USA. I reported this to FCA and seemed like 2 days later I ended up paying $0. They even paid for my Rental. This EGR system is only issue with truck, and has been in 4 times for ERG related issues. However, the lag is still horrible. I now have anti freeze smell coming from Exhaust. Dealer tells me nothing leaking and truck passed pressure test. Young Service desk person also told me the Levels Fluctuate so there is nothing wrong...I can tell you my response to that was not nice. So now I am to monitor the Anti freeze level and report changes. Which means they will do nothing unless truck starts on fire as has happened in a few cases. Otherwise this Truck has been very good to me...except EGR issue, which is kind of important for Engine to run. Disappointed in Dodge response to say the least. Give FCA a shot. Good Luck.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
GreenSpace10-
So sorry you had such a crappy experience . After all your reading here why not just try the tune like "everyone else on this forum" to see if you will have a duplicate experience in that regard also? If not I hope the NEW Chevy works well! Should be an incredible truck!

Stewart

Sep 4, 2019
Truck Year
GreenSpace You have merit to leave Ram.I just want to add that Ram or Fiat Chrysler America or North America not the Problem, Its Fiat and VM Motori of Italy The Maker of the 3.0...What angers Me is FPT (Fiat Power technology) has some of the Most Robust DSL in the World in their lineup.

Rams Gas versions get great Mileage and IMO the Best 1/2 (Gas) on the Pavement in North America.

The AEM may have effected Mileage and performance, The other problems Are VM Motori and Fiat relationship.

I hear what you are saying but when a consumer goes to a Ram dealer we should not have to sort out who made the engine, electronics, tires, etc. The truck we choose to buy is the sum of its parts and Ram has to own all of those selections. So far this whole process has been an exercise to guarantee that someone like me, a first time Ram owner, will likely never own another FCA product. From the original software flash, then the second one to rework the ridiculous first attempt, to the EGR cooler, and now waiting on a fix for the speed sensor FCA has had to be drug kicking and screaming to do the bare minimum. As I understand it, they are only planning to reprogram to not shut down when the speed sensor falls off and owners will be stuck paying to pull the transmission to tape it back on. I feel sorry for my local dealer who is getting hosed by FCA just like us owners.
To your point, it has been a great truck when it was not going back and forth for all the recalls.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Stewart, need to add failures with the recalls.

In the commercial world Owners don't blame the Truck Maker when the Installed power plant is unrelated to the Truck Maker.

That being Said Ram/Chrysler are not makers of any DSL, All their DSL powerplants are made/make With no connection to Fiat North American Branch of manufacturers.

Most Cummins owners separate Cummins from Ram/Fiat.... You can read 100,000s of comments on Ram Trucks why did Cummins do this or that, I See No reason to blame Ram or Fiat Chrysler North America for the Quagmire of Problems the 3.0VM is having when the Power plant is Designed ,Assemble, and Manufactured in a Facility Located in Italy (Cento) that they Have NO Control over.

Now if You want to blame CS when matters within their control are mis-handle I agree.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I hear what you are saying but when a consumer goes to a Ram dealer we should not have to sort out who made the engine, electronics, tires, etc. The truck we choose to buy is the sum of its parts and Ram has to own all of those selections. So far this whole process has been an exercise to guarantee that someone like me, a first time Ram owner, will likely never own another FCA product. From the original software flash, then the second one to rework the ridiculous first attempt, to the EGR cooler, and now waiting on a fix for the speed sensor FCA has had to be drug kicking and screaming to do the bare minimum. As I understand it, they are only planning to reprogram to not shut down when the speed sensor falls off and owners will be stuck paying to pull the transmission to tape it back on. I feel sorry for my local dealer who is getting hosed by FCA just like us owners.
To your point, it has been a great truck when it was not going back and forth for all the recalls.

I hear ya, I actually have NO brand loyalty to any manufacturer and have had to "complete" the products I have bought in many instances. everything from poorly made furniture to $40,000 travel trailers that weren't working properly. I guess I just consider some of that part of the "Ownership Process", Call me crazy but I actually kinda enjoy it even though I shouldn't have to do it.
Unfortunately I think recalls and under engineered systems are part of most new vehicles now, particularly new Emissions equipped diesels.

GreenSpace10

Nov 7, 2020
Truck Year
Understand Your frustration. Did You try FCA? I have same year of Truck & live on Canadian Prairies. My issue started with melting of EGR Actuator arm, got worse when they stated I had to pay in Full the over $5000 repair, as the Recall wasn't in Canada yet, only USA. I reported this to FCA and seemed like 2 days later I ended up paying $0. They even paid for my Rental. This EGR system is only issue with truck, and has been in 4 times for ERG related issues. However, the lag is still horrible. I now have anti freeze smell coming from Exhaust. Dealer tells me nothing leaking and truck passed pressure test. Young Service desk person also told me the Levels Fluctuate so there is nothing wrong...I can tell you my response to that was not nice. So now I am to monitor the Anti freeze level and report changes. Which means they will do nothing unless truck starts on fire as has happened in a few cases. Otherwise this Truck has been very good to me...except EGR issue, which is kind of important for Engine to run. Disappointed in Dodge response to say the least. Give FCA a shot. Good Luck.

I haven't called yet, was planning on calling on Monday to see what they can do. At least i know now that there may be some light at the end of the tunnel. I won't hold my breath tho.

GreenSpace10

Nov 7, 2020
Truck Year

Getting $%&$# is putting it lightly. I have $10k into a truck I have owned for less then 6 months. This is my first RAM truck. Maybe a 2500 would have been a better choice.

GreenSpace10

Nov 7, 2020
Truck Year
GreenSpace10-
So sorry you had such a crappy experience . After all your reading here why not just try the tune like "everyone else on this forum" to see if you will have a duplicate experience in that regard also? If not I hope the NEW Chevy works well! Should be an incredible truck!

I thought about that. Just would need to decide on GDE or Sofa tune. I haven't heard much about the PPEI available in canada. Just wondering though if spending a another 2k will resolve my issues, vs buying another truck.

My 12th DSL

Apr 26, 2018
Truck Year
I thought about that. Just would need to decide on GDE or Sofa tune. I haven't heard much about the PPEI available in canada. Just wondering though if spending a another 2k will resolve my issues, vs buying another truck.
Hey Greenspace, I have a 2014 with 286,000+km on it now. I had EGR issues and the dealer said the part was on back order and they didn't know when it would come in. Took it to Lightspeed Innovations in Red Deer, AB and had the EGR and DEF removed. Cost $2200. Should have done it 3 years ago. Better power and fuel consumption. I pull a 6000lb RV with it and love the power.

Ken2428

Aug 11, 2019
Truck Year
Hey Greenspace, I have a 2014 with 286,000+km on it now. I had EGR issues and the dealer said the part was on back order and they didn't know when it would come in. Took it to Lightspeed Innovations in Red Deer, AB and had the EGR and DEF removed. Cost $2200. Should have done it 3 years ago. Better power and fuel consumption. I pull a 6000lb RV with it and love the power.
Late bloomer
Had recall done to my 2016 last month (2022) sucks. 21 average to 19 and engine light is on, at 5.00 + a gallon it really sucks. Is the Ram program for a refund still going on?
Thanks Ken